Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

Not actually true 😬 large number of deaths in northern Italy thought to be because of large concentration of ill people in one area meaning emergency services are too stretched to aid all 

There is the logic of the herd immunity argument, and trying to get as many people to get it before we go into another phase next winter. Yes if the peak is too large and health services are overwhelmed more people could die in the short term. Equally if the peak is too flat there are more carriers left who haven’t had it. We then get the same problem we have now with the associated deaths later on down the line. Of course there is the middle ground which is hopefully what we are trying to achieve in the U.K. Either way, until there is a vaccine it remains a threat for everybody who hasn’t had it and those in contact with them.

Just now, eFestivals said:

will they also be postponing 2021 until 2022? :P 

You know what I mean though, 2021 would just be a normal festival and not symbolic in any way.

They might want to hold a festival to celebrate the 50th anniversary without worrying about being constrained by made up laws about what is and isn’t allowed.

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well they can can’t they, if they want to? If it’s not happening this year they can still postpone it until next year, I mean it’s not against any actual laws is it?

No I guess it isn’t.

It can be a double whammy event where we also celebrate Michael Eavis’ 40th birthday.

I live in Pilton and by now the fence would have started to go up. It hasn't. Do you all think thar we as a village want 200.000 people here during a coronavirus outbreak? The festival ran out of water last year.how are you going to wash your hands? The stall holders are due to pay their exorbitant rents for pitch, leccy and water. Do they want to risk this money? Do they really want to serve you? Do bands really want you joining in the singing? Do the locals want you taking our hospital beds? Many of you don't realise that locals get sent home during the festival even if they have cancer just to make room for you all. And as for eavis not in it for the money? Hilarious!!!!! 

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

While that sounds reasonable, it doesn't change the fact that this was a known quantity when Emily released her statement when the poster dropped. I don't think GF will be in talks with the government, but they won't be making decisions blindly either - they'll have consulted experts and forecast various scenarios. If it's true that there is "absolutely no chance" of the festival taking place, they wouldn't be moving forward in the way they are. None of us are in a position to talk in absolutes here.

Can we pin this post? I just glanced in the other thread about what might happen with tickets and it's already done my head in. "No chance whatsoever will tickets be rolled over". 

There's about three people who have any remote idea what's going to happen with the festival - Michael, Emily and Nick.

13 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Agreed. It would have been a bit of a PR nightmare if they made that lineup announcement with no idea it would be happening. But, I’m not sure they knew the mass gatherings ban was inbound 

I’d be surprised if they didn’t. I work in Aviation and it’s been well known for days that the mass gatherings ban and eventually school closures and restrictions on flying are incoming, it’s just a question of when. The Authorities want it to be as short as possible for a wide variety of reasons so they need to get the timing right.

14 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

I live in Pilton and by now the fence would have started to go up. It hasn't. Do you all think thar we as a village want 200.000 people here during a coronavirus outbreak? The festival ran out of water last year.how are you going to wash your hands? The stall holders are due to pay their exorbitant rents for pitch, leccy and water. Do they want to risk this money? Do they really want to serve you? Do bands really want you joining in the singing? Do the locals want you taking our hospital beds? Many of you don't realise that locals get sent home during the festival even if they have cancer just to make room for you all. And as for eavis not in it for the money? Hilarious!!!!! 

log.jpg

15 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

All goode points tbf. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Tickets for tonight’s orbital gig in London currently going for £13 if anyone wants to get their kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames (I’m going to get one before the lockdown)

That will be great, might be more room for dancing.

My Sam fender gig at ally pally will be off then, hopefully i can see Rammstein in June.

35 minutes ago, kalifire said:

While that sounds reasonable, it doesn't change the fact that this was a known quantity when Emily released her statement when the poster dropped. I don't think GF will be in talks with the government, but they won't be making decisions blindly either - they'll have consulted experts and forecast various scenarios. If it's true that there is "absolutely no chance" of the festival taking place, they wouldn't be moving forward in the way they are. None of us are in a position to talk in absolutes here.

Yes, it’s human nature for panic and fear to ramp up every day as things get worse and people to be less and less sure the festival will go ahead.

The reality is what is happening now in relation to when the poster dropped is absolutely no surprise and entirely predictable. Viruses spread exponentially, there is no other way this was going to pan out while there is no vaccine.

I’m not sure if some people have been expecting a miracle and that they will wake and the virus will have just disappeared, or if they are looking out for the new case numbers each day and genuinely hoping to see a drop, because in actual reality that will not be happening.

Where we are now in relation to the poster dropping is exactly where the festival and the government expected us to be. Where we are in a month, two months etc will more or less be where they expected us to be too.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

29 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Throughout ive said those with tickets should rollover. Im very confident this will happen.

Seems to be the path of least resistance...roll them over, those who don’t get tickets will be disappointed (but those who don’t get tickets outnumber those that do every year, and they are always disappointed)... there’s no way to keep everyone happy, so why not keep your ticket holders happy?...I have a vague recollection of you posting around t’day saying you didn’t get one, so I’m presuming no ulterior motive for believing they’ll roll over. Option to roll over or refund seems most likely to me (with the caveat that balances are paid as you will have actually committed to attending the festival at that stage)...

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes, it’s human nature for panic and fear to ramp up every day as things get worse and people to be less and less sure the festival will go ahead.

The reality is what is happening now in relation to when the poster dropped is absolutely no surprise and entirely predictable. Viruses spread exponentially, there is no other way this was going to pan out while there is no vaccine.

I’m not sure if some people have been expecting a miracle and that they will wake and the virus will have just disappeared, or if they are looking out for the new case numbers each day and genuinely hoping to see a drop, because in actual reality that will not be happening.

Where we are now in relation to the poster dropping is exactly where the festival and the government expected is to be. Where we are in a month, two months etc will more or less be where they expected us to be too.

So...there’s a chance? 

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I suppose the poster drop was an opportunity to share with everyone what had been planned —we would have wanted to known that even if the festival is cancelled.

I think we are in for a rough few months, so I understand the need to have nice things to look forward to.  I didn’t get Glastonbury tickets, but have Madcool booked and other great things planned that I’m now very unsure will happen.

I can’t stop reading this discussion on efestivals. I think I find some comfort in the fact that we are all in this together.

This weekend I am going to enjoy all the little things - play games with my kids, read books and potter in the garden.

I am also going to make time to phone family members that have health problems and encourage them to stay safe whilst this crisis hits.

Take care everyone and keep posting 😊 

• Upvote 1