Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 hour ago, pryce said:

Not a chance of containment working if 80% of symptoms from that reddit expert ama are correct... mild with a slight temp and runny nose and cough for a couple of days... Nobody is going to the hospital with that are they 

I can imagine that a lot of people will now be ringing 111 as soon as they get any combination of these symptons. Whether thats a good or bad thing I don't know 

The worry for me with governments in other countries shutting things down is that it feeds the same panic buying hysteria that has seen all the toilet paper and flour been bought. Even though all of the experts state that cancelling mass gatherings will have minimal effect at stopping spread in the grand scheme of things, people will see the actions of Italy and other countries and ask why isn’t my government doing the same. In the past you might have some faith that governments would listen to the experts and be able to communicate facts to the public, but in this day and age, they are more likely to make to make the best political decisions rather than what is actually best.

In a time where political advantage is to be seized on every issue, the governments of relevance to me (UK, Australia and Singapore) have been pretty measured in how they have gone about things. You can only hope those in charge continue to do the right thing.

As an aside, how many people bulk buying flour will actually know how to bake bread or make their own pasta?

17 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

The worry for me with governments in other countries shutting things down is that it feeds the same panic buying hysteria that has seen all the toilet paper and flour been bought. Even though all of the experts state that cancelling mass gatherings will have minimal effect at stopping spread in the grand scheme of things, people will see the actions of Italy and other countries and ask why isn’t my government doing the same. In the past you might have some faith that governments would listen to the experts and be able to communicate facts to the public, but in this day and age, they are more likely to make to make the best political decisions rather than what is actually best.

In a time where political advantage is to be seized on every issue, the governments of relevance to me (UK, Australia and Singapore) have been pretty measured in how they have gone about things. You can only hope those in charge continue to do the right thing.

As an aside, how many people bulk buying flour will actually know how to bake bread or make their own pasta?

Judging by some of the things i've seen at festivals some people don't even know how to use toilet paper!

In regards to Ultra Music Fest, the City of Miami and that fest have had bad blood for quite some time now. I bet it's mostly an excuse to have it not happen, as it's not usually in the city's best interest anyways. Okeechobee is still going forward and Disney World is still open, which takes thousands of international guests every day (many of whom stay on site).

1 hour ago, Gregfc15 said:

It's why it's ridiculous.  The people buying all this stuff are buying things they'd never normally use.  It's like the toilet paper thing, I buy an 18 roll pack every couple of months or so for about 4 quid, how much do people really think they are going to need?

Give it a couple of weeks and things will be easier going, I'm sure.  By habit I cook massive pots of stuff and freeze portions in tubs, so I've got a month's supply of food in reserve at any given time anyway.  This won't make one bit of difference to my shopping habits.

Latest crazy news from America. 

There’s another cruise ship that has been infected with at least one death linked to it. The cruise ship docked in California and 2,500 people disembarked after being exposed to the virus. Authorities are now desperately searching for those 2,500 people 🤦‍♂️

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/coronavirus-san-francisco-cruise-ship-grand-princess

If you weren’t planning to I’d certainly think about avoiding America for a while. 

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

If you rearrange the letters in corona, you come up with the word racoon. Coincidence? I think not.

Interesting that you mentioned Racoon. Here’s another striking coincidence.

This is the biolab in Wuhan.  

EB16234E-F5E1-4FCA-BCEE-68B97B17247C.jpeg.2d5c7a27db2bb2821893ea2218cc433e.jpeg

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

A bit more positive news if correct.

184C6AB1-8385-4859-A9D7-3B254DFDDA0C.jpeg

First in Human - good news, but not anything to get the tail wagging - sorry, we're still looking at next year if all the stops are pulled for a vaccine then this strain will be some other fricken strain. That's assuming the UK is still in the EMA, if not, hey, inject my arse with window cleaner so my brain dies last.

34 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

A bit more positive news if correct.

184C6AB1-8385-4859-A9D7-3B254DFDDA0C.jpeg

If true then it's very welcome news though I fear any vaccine progress will come too late to stop a mass outbreak justifying cancellation this summer.

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

I don't like this thread, it makes me sad and worried

I feel the same, I am inexorably drawn to it every time I log in. It’s like rubber necking an accident. Yes it’s serious but the whole country is in danger of being paralysed by an illness that in the vast majority of cases isn’t serious. Take sensible precautions, carry on and stop the irrational panicking. We can’t all just bunker down in our houses with a years supply of bog roll and pot noodles. Those who might be susceptible to this need to take extra precautions. I reckon I’ve had two really bad colds and a dose of noravirus this winter, just stayed in , recovered and they carried on. Try to stay positive, what will be, will be! 

I think we will have more of a problem with performers attending than  the whole festival being cancelled , I'm not sure what happens if just a few of the big names refuse to perform.. on the bright side there will be more tickets in the resale at a later date if that were to happen.

So many different scenarios in an unknown situation so very hard to tell what is going to happen which is making this so hard to call

I think any government would find this a tricky situation to deal with whatever your politics... doing too much too soon and over reacting or not doing enough soon enough could be disastrous 

Id go with short , sharp and hard .. close public places for 2 weeks rigid and see if that slows it down and if it doesn't then nothing will and we just have to ride it out... no good going for an economic catastrophe if it won't do the slightest good either, that helps no one 

An extended Easter break for schools colleges and nurseries.  Remote working where at all possible and check every visitor going into places like hospitals and care homes

If none of the above works and figures still rise I think it has to burn itself out .

9 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I think we will have more of a problem with performers attending than  the whole festival being cancelled , I'm not sure what happens if just a few of the big names refuse to perform.. on the bright side there will be more tickets in the resale at a later date if that were to happen.

As a lover of the Wednesday and Thursday before the main stages come online I could live with a few big acts pulling out - would give me more time to explore and relax and catch some new bands. Also might get ticket as you say!

9 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Id go with short , sharp and hard .. close public places for 2 weeks rigid and see if that slows it down and if it doesn't then nothing will and we just have to ride it out... no good going for an economic catastrophe if it won't do the slightest good either, that helps no one 

This might work temporarily, but unless every country did the same it would soon make its way back in from elsewhere.