Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Rumours of Coachella’s contingency plans sound really exciting.

Apparently a few international acts have pulled so they are calling up acts local who have the weekend free (which they couldn’t book originally because of the radius clause).

If Glastonbury did the same id reckon we’d see a lot of British bands exclusive to other festivals turning up if they can’t go anywhere else.

11 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

I've just realised that every opinion on this thread has been expressed at least ten times so I'm ducking out for good. See you June!

We're gonna go around this circle 10 more times before I leave

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Rumours of Coachella’s contingency plans sound really exciting.

Apparently a few international acts have pulled so they are calling up acts local who have the weekend free (which they couldn’t book originally because of the radius clause).

If Glastonbury did the same id reckon we’d see a lot of British bands exclusive to other festivals turning up if they can’t go anywhere else.

That's the nightmare scenario, the festival goes ahead but cold play are playing all the slots

20 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Matt Hancock at the British Chambers of commerce  said at lunchtime that cancelling large events won't have an affect of the spread as long as the basic  rules are followed.. or words to that affect 😄 

Still a problem with performers showing more caution but wait and see 

The issue here is that we tend to consider all big events as the same and therefore carry similar risk. From a risk assessors point of view they are not. A big event should as a football match attended by 100,000 would carry much lower risk of contracting the virus since attendance would only be for a few hours held in an environment were there was ample supply of hot water and sanitation. Also the number of people you would come into close contact whilst attending would be low, maybe not low thousands. By contrast Glasto would carry a much greater risk as the attendance is extended over 5 days, the crowd repeated intermingles - often very closely, and hygiene is basic.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Don’t be so hasty. There’s still some quality memes worth sharing. 

I’m hoping to set up a gif thread once my backpack arrives from China ( oh bollocks that might not happen now ) anything relating to Glastonbury ... get them prepared now :) 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I suppose the other thing to consider is that events in the summer have time now to put measures in place. The hot water issue, for example, is something I imagine they're working on finding some sort of solution for.

Events in the near future will have had no chance to prepare properly and are most at risk of cancellation. Glastonbury have chance now to put contingencies in place and pitch then to the council. They will be pulling out all the stops to make sure it goes ahead I'm sure.

Maybe this means that hand sanitizer will be refilled often enough at last.

18 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I just had a thought over in the other corona thread.  When Glastonbury goes ahead, surely you will all be able to use that as an excuse to self isolate for a couple of weeks when you get back?

I know I'll be using it if I can get away with it.

Perfectly logical! I'll see if I can put those 2 weeks in my work diary now...

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Perfectly logical! I'll see if I can put those 2 weeks in my work diary now...

Honestly I'm ashamed it took me this long to come to this wonderful conclusion.  

What ever concerns I had for the virus have completely disappeared.

40 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

That perspective makes sense, but only if cancelling large events actually does anything. From what the CMO is saying, seems like he doesn't believe that. At that point cancelling events would just be a punishment with no positive outcome.

This is what I've been trying to say. Canceling any events say over 5000 people for the whole of say June? When they expect the virus to be in full force. They start canceling all the festivals, concerts, sporting events and where do all those people go instead? Outside on the town, to other events and probably end up getting it anyway. 

If its already out there in full force there's no point in stopping events. 

54 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yes, but from their perspective public transport is necessary for the economy to function, where as an annual event is less economically damaging to cancel - it's about weighing risks/rewards 

What’s the value of G to the local economy? How many hundreds or thousands of jobs critically depend on it? How many small traders and freelancers would go bust without it? 

In many ways I think things like G are more important to the ‘economy’ than making sure a few stock brokers get to work ok 

Edit: I’m being flippant about stockbrokers, I know some valuable jobs use it too 

Edited by whitehorses