Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

In fact the bone dry ground contributed to the rain not being able to soak into the ground. Slightly softer earth would have been better.

Yep, I actually got sunburnt on the Thursday...was a scorcher (apart from early Friday is was actually lovely all week!). 2007 now, that’s a different matter (shudder)...

I knew this thread would turn to the weather at some point🙄 - for what are we in the UK if not obsessed with whether we feel under the weather or not😂 or whether we are worried about the weather or not! 

10 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well the restrictions in Italy are in place for a month. No country can have those type of restrictions in place indefinitely, their economy would quite literally collapse. What they’ve done in Italy is an attempt to slow things down and get control of it to give their health service a better chance to cope with it, but they can’t keep the restrictions in place indefinitely. If events are cancelled in April and May then Glastonbury may well still be fine. Any mass cancellation of events will have to have a timeframe attached to it, it would be catastrophic and unworkable to carry them on indefinitely. So as far as Glastonbury going ahead, it’s just going to be a question of timing from here on in, and if and when things get so bad that the government feel the need to put such restrictions in place. 

Obviously they cant cancel everything indefinitely and I get what you are saying. Large mass events such as sporting events and festivals are not vital to the economy... shops, schools small businesses that dont have mass gatherings are. Mass gatherings are likely to be restricted longer than anything else. 

Yes as far as Glasto (and other festivals) go it is all down to timing... it is not a matter of IF but WHEN large events and mass gatherings are cancelled or restricted. We are nowhere near peak outbreak in the UK, the numbers will get much higher before things get better. 

There were reports coming from an inside source at Liverpool yesterday that it is almost certain that their game against Palace on 21st March will be behind closed doors... and that was coming from the Premier League. 

I do really hope that the restrictions come soon and we can get out the other side of this well before Glasto at the end of June! There is hope, but it is most definitely touch and go. 

Edited by Havors

Large events/ mass gatherings may not be vital to the economy, but there is also no extra epidemiological risk to them  according to the experts so if they are cancelled, it won’t be because it will actually help, it will be because a politician wants to be seen as doing something or because we are one stage away on the alert scale from Zombie attack.

It's not a case of  “not if but when” if the proper advice is still followed. The Women’s T20 went ahead in Oz with 86k in attendance, the F1 will go ahead with teams already arriving. The people attending these events aren’t emerging from bunkers, they are people who would be in the community regardless and if they have it, and they are showing symptoms and haven’t isolated themselves,  then they’ll pass it on at the coffee shop or the cinema or the pub or the tube or anywhere they decide to go.

Australia have a seemingly good Chief Health Officer who is providing good advice to the government and they are following their lead as cases are identified. Based on reports, the UK one is even better and at this stage his advice is being followed.

In Singapore, which I’d estimate is about 3 weeks ahead of Europe on the “panic scale”, everyone lost the plot around the middle of February, things are mostly back to normal. People wearing masks have reduced, the bars and restaurants are filling back up and events are taking place (albeit with a number of acts themselves cancelling), all while cases are still active in the country and region albeit with businesses still encouraging work from home where possible, temperature checks at buildings, and consistent government messaging around hygiene and isolation if showing systems.

Let’s all take Taylor’s advice and calm down or at least listen to Professor Chris Whitty.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Large events/ mass gatherings may not be vital to the economy, but there is also no extra epidemiological risk to them  according to the experts so if they are cancelled, it won’t be because it will actually help, it will be because a politician wants to be seen as doing something...

Pretty much, there is no need to cancel mass gatherings.

3 hours ago, Havors said:

Obviously they cant cancel everything indefinitely and I get what you are saying. Large mass events such as sporting events and festivals are not vital to the economy... shops, schools small businesses that dont have mass gatherings are. Mass gatherings are likely to be restricted longer than anything else. 

Yes as far as Glasto (and other festivals) go it is all down to timing... it is not a matter of IF but WHEN large events and mass gatherings are cancelled or restricted. We are nowhere near peak outbreak in the UK, the numbers will get much higher before things get better. 

There were reports coming from an inside source at Liverpool yesterday that it is almost certain that their game against Palace on 21st March will be behind closed doors... and that was coming from the Premier League. 

I do really hope that the restrictions come soon and we can get out the other side of this well before Glasto at the end of June! There is hope, but it is most definitely touch and go. 

I hope that's bullshit.....it's my birthday on the palace game and looking forward to the match . Iam at the game Wednesday night against Atlético so if that game is ok why play behind closed doors on the 21st ? 

40 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Large events/ mass gatherings may not be vital to the economy, but there is also no extra epidemiological risk to them  according to the experts so if they are cancelled, it won’t be because it will actually help, it will be because a politician wants to be seen as doing something or because we are one stage away on the alert scale from Zombie attack.

It's not a case of  “not if but when” if the proper advice is still followed. The Women’s T20 went ahead in Oz with 86k in attendance, the F1 will go ahead with teams already arriving. The people attending these events aren’t emerging from bunkers, they are people who would be in the community regardless and if they have it, and they are showing symptoms and haven’t isolated themselves,  then they’ll pass it on at the coffee shop or the cinema or the pub or the tube or anywhere they decide to go.

Australia have a seemingly good Chief Health Officer who is providing good advice to the government and they are following their lead as cases are identified. Based on reports, the UK one is even better and at this stage his advice is being followed.

In Singapore, which I’d estimate is about 3 weeks ahead of Europe on the “panic scale”, everyone lost the plot around the middle of February, things are mostly back to normal. People wearing masks have reduced, the bars and restaurants are filling back up and events are taking place (albeit with a number of acts themselves cancelling), all while cases are still active in the country and region albeit with businesses still encouraging work from home where possible, temperature checks at buildings, and consistent government messaging around hygiene and isolation if showing systems.

Let’s all take Taylor’s advice and calm down or at least listen to Professor Chris Whitty.

Who isn't taking Whitty's advice? who is not calm? people who are stockpiling bog roll and santiser need to go have a long hard look at themselves.... that is all besides the point though.... 

Events going ahead now has no bearing on what the measures will be in a couple of weeks time. Like I have already said... reliable sources have said that it is almost certain Premier league games will be behind closed doors in due course because of the timeline of how the virus is modelled to peak. 

6 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I hope that's bullshit.....it's my birthday on the palace game and looking forward to the match . Iam at the game Wednesday night against Atlético so if that game is ok why play behind closed doors on the 21st ? 

Yeah me to! It potentially the game we win the league... i hope they refund part of my season ticket if they do. 

And wednesday is 2 days away.... 21st is a couple of weeks away when its expected the virus is modeled to increase a lot. Apparently... this info is all readily available. 

It all depends how it unravels over the next week or so....  honestly I hope to fuck its not true or that its all a worse case scenario kind of thing. 

Edited by Havors

21 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah me to! It potentially the game we win the league... i hope they refund part of my season ticket if they do. 

And wednesday is 2 days away.... 21st is a couple of weeks away when its expected the virus is modeled to increase a lot. Apparently... this info is all readily available. 

It all depends how it unravels over the next week or so....  honestly I hope to fuck its not true or that its all a worse case scenario kind of thing. 

They should just ban anyone over 60 attending ....sorted ha. The bloke who sits next to me is a bit worried as he is 70 and we had Chinese sat behind , Infront and to the sides at Saturdays game. The Chinese did seem healthy though as they munched & crunched through hotdogs, pizzas, crisps and chocolate for the entire 94 mins 😂

Just now, gazzared said:

They should just ban anyone over 60 attending ....sorted ha. The bloke who sits next to me is a bit worried as he is 70 and we had Chinese sat behind , Infront and to the sides at Saturdays game. The Chinese did seem healthy though as they munched & crunched through hotdogs, pizzas, crisps and chocolate for the entire 94 mins 😂

It is quite concerning if you are over 60 or in poor health. I've just read there is a government meeting today about social distancing.... i think its inevitable its going to happen pretty soon....  Hopefully its after the 21st March and then its lifted in time for us all to get excited about Glasto! :D 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I used to think COBRA was some fancy acronym based on the cold war. 

Turns out it just stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room A. 

Bit of an anti climax. 

Ahahaha...really??? I also thought this until just this second when I read your post! 

EDIT: So what happens in room b?

Edited by Sasperella

1 minute ago, yehbutnobut said:

Hopefully it'll get binned well before the gates are open... 🤞

I hoping we can get Neil to official close the thread before hand and start a new fuck the corona virus thread! :D 

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m trying my best to keep it positive!

Yep, same here, all you can do really...

My daughter's meant to be getting married early June, a year in the planning etc.., all UK based with a gathering of 90 odd. This virus needs to hurry the fuck up and run it's course so that ALL June 2020 plans can happen.

Thought I'd post this as it made me groan / chuckle; stay positive pop pickers 😎x

89359061_2535758199970552_5615537763764928512_n.jpg.afd1707d12f77e13ad77ba0fc17e9f83.thumb.jpg.70fd8913e3daeed54c55c78ac220a78d.jpg

52 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Indian Wells suspended with only one case in the state 🙄

County. Still the health departments call in the end. 

Seems there will be more action regarding the event down the street from Indian Wells in the morning, but we’ll see. 

Edited by Suprefan