Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'd be surprised if demand drops without it being taken up by us lot

'Us lot ' is quite telling though, innit? Because of course we all would. We're all obsessive enough to spend our Sunday afternoon posting about the ins and outs of the festival's insurance policies. None of us could begin to imagine what goes on in the mind of someone who returns their ticket because they don't fancy the headliners or there's another festival they'd rather be at or whatever other excuses people use who do return their tickets. There's quite a lot of loosely interested folk who hear about the sale on Radio 1 earlier that week then get lucky on the day. I just think there'll be a lot more of them this year and only so many of us that will be prepared to take them up, regardless of the likelihood of it happening. Could be wrong though.

Just now, Mackem said:

'Us lot ' is quite telling though, innit? Because of course we all would. We're all obsessive enough to spend our Sunday afternoon posting about the ins and outs of the festival's insurance policies. None of us could begin to imagine what goes on in the mind of someone who returns their ticket because they don't fancy the headliners or there's another festival they'd rather be at or whatever other excuses people use who do return their tickets. There's quite a lot of loosely interested folk who hear about the sale on Radio 1 earlier that week then get lucky on the day. I just think there'll be a lot more of them this year and only so many of us that will be prepared to take them up, regardless of the likelihood of it happening. Could be wrong though.

I agree with you, but I still think there is still plenty of spare demand for it to sell out. I know more people who didn’t get tickets then did, and they’d all be delighted to hoover up an extras in the resale pot, none of them post on here either.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, same here, my mums 76 and I'm a Counsellor for people with cancer and their families, so my number one anxiety is catching it and unknowingly passing it on to them or them catching it independently of me

My wife has to visit her aunty in the local care home weekly. If she takes it into the home she could wipe out the entire place.

I don’t think it’ll put many of the general public off either, if you look around this weekend alone people are still all going to events and treating life as normal. People are still going to live sports, cinemas, music events etc! Don’t buy into the exceptional circumstances you see where people are kicking off. In my day to day life I haven’t seen anything out of the ordinary yet and that’s all we can go off.

Theres more chance of the festival happening than not, look at the time we have still and words from officials. This is an event at the end of June, so far no big events even this month in this country have been cancelled. If we are still looking come end of June at events being cancelled then the country would be in the toilet. Calm down, it’ll be fine!

Edited by Ozanne

My local asda has toilet rolls! The end of the world isn’t nigh. 

Doesn’t have any pasta though or creme eggs for some random reason. 

Its got me thinking, people are panic buying things in case stuff runs out so it makes normal products that aren’t in short supply become a rare commodity. 

What random product can we start a shortage scare about? Can we use the power of the internet to make people panic buy things they don’t need. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Its got me thinking, people are panic buying things in case stuff runs out so it makes normal products that aren’t in short supply become a rare commodity. 

What random product can we start a shortage scare about? Can we use the power of the internet to make people panic buy things they don’t need. 

Toilet roll in itself is a weird enough one. You’d think people would be worried about the basic stuff that keeps you alive before being able to wipe their arse.

Cheltenham is still going ahead this week. If the government were that worried even at this stage then there would be no chance that would be going ahead. 

I do think that the Italians have went all in and possibly overreacted. However that is surely a way of fighting it. If we need to do that then it will be sooner rather than later and therefore June would look more positive. 

I still think it's going ahead. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

No no no :) supply takes a little time to resume ... pasta is out of stock in depots at the moment so that will take a little while to come back .... toilet roll delivery’s are still coming through fine so once people have the toilet roll mountains in their houses this will go back to normal ... I’d say by midweek ... liquid soap has small quantities coming through with some depot outs so people will still be able to get this unless the demand continues ... beans were out one day and back in the next so no issues there 

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Cheltenham is still going ahead this week. If the government were that worried even at this stage then there would be no chance that would be going ahead. 

I do think that the Italians have went all in and possibly overreacted. However that is surely a way of fighting it. If we need to do that then it will be sooner rather than later and therefore June would look more positive. 

At this stage I’m not sure that Italy have overreacted, but they’ve certainly gone for it. Some countries look to have overacted Or taken a rather haphazard approach though, just reading as an example Greece have a relatively small number of cases, but have banned sporting events and school trips for two weeks.

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

How about Twixes?

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just back from Morrisons - they had shit loads of toilet paper (sorry about the pun!) Not a lot of pasta but lots of cream eggs. Didn't check the hand sanitiser (sorry!)

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not sure - maybe we can convince people it's spread by bad smells and they should buy air freshener?

It’s not just Glastonbury, they’d have to cancel all festivals. Surely public transport and big shopping centres would be closed first? I wasn’t too concerned about it being cancelled at first but after sxsw cancelled its got me a little worried. I know it’s America and doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll follow suit but I was really surprised by it  

39 minutes ago, Mackem said:

Yeah that's what I mean - I think there are enough obsessives like us who'll take a punt, enough to make demand not an issue. I hope that loads of them decide not to anyway! 

22 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Cheltenham going ahead has no bearing on anything in June though. 

We need to be worried if events start getting cancelled in April and may... because its unlikely restictions would be lifted in time for glasto.

Unless the virus miraculously vanishes 

7 minutes ago, Havors said:

Cheltenham going ahead has no bearing on anything in June though. 

We need to be worried if events start getting cancelled in April and may... because its unlikely restictions would be lifted in time for glasto.

Unless the virus miraculously vanishes 

Well the restrictions in Italy are in place for a month. No country can have those type of restrictions in place indefinitely, their economy would quite literally collapse. What they’ve done in Italy is an attempt to slow things down and get control of it to give their health service a better chance to cope with it, but they can’t keep the restrictions in place indefinitely. If events are cancelled in April and May then Glastonbury may well still be fine. Any mass cancellation of events will have to have a timeframe attached to it, it would be catastrophic and unworkable to carry them on indefinitely. So as far as Glastonbury going ahead, it’s just going to be a question of timing from here on in, and if and when things get so bad that the government feel the need to put such restrictions in place. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

An Italian colleague of mine is adamant that the prime reason for Italy being in such a dire situation is because the general population have paid next to no attention to official directives from the government on improving hygiene levels, limiting travel and social distancing etc - up until now, where a quarter of the country is in forced lockdown. 

Edited by Brownie30

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well the restrictions in Italy are in place for a month. No country can have those type of restrictions in place indefinitely, their economy would quite literally collapse. What they’ve done in Italy is an attempt to slow things down and get control of it to give their health service a better chance to cope with it, but they can’t keep the restrictions in place indefinitely. If events are cancelled in April and May then Glastonbury may well still be fine. Any mass cancellation of events will have to have a timeframe attached to it, it would be catastrophic and unworkable to carry them on indefinitely. So as far as Glastonbury going ahead, it’s just going to be a question of timing from here on in, and if and when things get so bad that the government feel the need to put such restrictions in place. 

Very true. If Glastonbury is cancelled then so will be most other festivals, Euro football, olympics, Wimbledon, open golf, etc etc.then factor in restrictions on travel, pubs and restaurants losing custom, tourist spots deserted. It would be an economic and social disaster. Maybe restrictions for the month of April but thereafter businesses  would collapse. It’s all down to personal responsibility, self isolate if you feel unwell, follow guidelines on personal cleanliness and don’t fucking panic!