Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nail on a completely different head. "Austerity is/was bad" isn't an answer as to what we should do now.

Possibly, I was using it as a point to combat being called socially irresponsible for wanting a festival to go ahead when the situation is in place because of others very deliberate actions. 

Edited by Ozanne

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nail on a completely different head. "Austerity is/was bad" isn't an answer as to what we should do now.

Perhaps - I've just got umbrage with the above suggestion that questioning the cancelling of festivals / wanting to go to festivals is socially irresponsible. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Possibly, I was using it as a point to combat being called socially irresponsible for wanting a festival to go ahead when the situation is in place because of others very deliberate actions. 

5 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

Perhaps - I've just got umbrage with the above suggestion that questioning the cancelling of festivals / wanting to go to festivals is socially irresponsible. 

I can also assure you all that @Ozanne and I are not posting from the same room. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

unsanitary conditions,

I keep seeing this phrase in this thread, yes we might not be able to wash as often as we would like , I'm sure there are millions of people worldwide who would love to live in a place where the toilets are emptied and they have access to fresh clean running water, if it was unsanitary I'm sure the council would of shut it down years ago

Eh? Clearly the sanitary conditions are as good as they can be/to get a licence, but we are talking about trying to stop the spread of a virus that just killed 133 in a day in Italy. Just because they’re good enough for a festival, doesn’t mean they aren’t low by general normal standards.

For anyone wondering about Refund Protection it looks like you can purchase it when paying the balance.

"Ticket holders were given the option to purchase TicketPlan Refund Protection (£5.95 for general admission tickets, £7.50 for coach packages), so that a refund of the value of your Ticket can be provided to you if you cannot attend the Festival due to the circumstances set out in the Terms and Conditions. Refund Protection is subject to an additional charge per person when paying the balance for your tickets. NB: Refund Protection is only available when making a balance payment or full ticket booking.  Click here to download a PDF of the TicketPlan Booking Refund Protection Summary."

8 hours ago, discgoesmic said:

I would 100% speak to the health service. It sounds like a fair amount of what you’re going through could also be on the mental side (as opposed to physical illness). If it’s impacting your day to day life then it’s worth a try.

if anything, they could probably give you coping strategies until you feel like you’re in a better place again. 

There’s a lot going on in the world right now but you have to look out for yourself first. Hope you feel better soon 😀

Yeah, a lot of it is mental. Been struggling with depression for a long time but it's been getting worse this year. Like dangerously bad, I'm getting worried that I can't cope with it much longer. Might need to start taking something for it.  But some of it is definitely physical; no idea what the fuck is up with my lungs and coughing etc. Had an x-ray last year but they didn't find anything. 

I talked to my flatmate earlier; he said he's been trying to get a doctor's appointment for the past two weeks but hasn't been able to. Seems everywhere is being swamped because of this Coronavirus :(

9 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

In a few weeks, Glastonbury happening will not only seem a preposterous idea, but also surreal that anybody even cared.

I fear you’re right. In what way do we not end up like Italy? This spreads like wildfire and it’s a killer and not just for old sick people.

Looking at what’s happening in Italy in only days I think at least everyone can agree that China’s death total was complete bullshit all along.

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I talked to my flatmate earlier; he said he's been trying to get a doctor's appointment for the past two weeks but hasn't been able to. Seems everywhere is being swamped because of this Coronavirus

My docs was like that pre-corona. It’s just that time of year. Flu season is a thing. 

People forget that the normal regular flu is probably killing more people right now that this new strain that’s got the media hyped up. 

1 minute ago, stopwn1981 said:

I fear you’re right. In what way do we not end up like Italy? This spreads like wildfire and it’s a killer and not just for old sick people.

Looking at what’s happening in Italy in only days I think at least everyone can agree that China’s death total was complete bullshit all along.

Well you're going to be fun at the meet.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

My docs was like that pre-corona. It’s just that time of year. Flu season is a thing. 

People forget that the normal regular flu is probably killing more people right now that this new strain that’s got the media hyped up. 

Is 133 in w day a high number? I honestly don’t know the figures

7 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah, a lot of it is mental. Been struggling with depression for a long time but it's been getting worse this year. Like dangerously bad, I'm getting worried that I can't cope with it much longer. Might need to start taking something for it.  But some of it is definitely physical; no idea what the fuck is up with my lungs and coughing etc. Had an x-ray last year but they didn't find anything. 

I talked to my flatmate earlier; he said he's been trying to get a doctor's appointment for the past two weeks but hasn't been able to. Seems everywhere is being swamped because of this Coronavirus :(

Oh man. This is awful to read. Please continue reaching out to people because people can help. Don’t feel like your problems are any less important or valued than others. 

whilst people on here can be grump at times we won’t allow a fellow efester to suffer in silence!

7 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Again every expert says there will be thousands and thousands of unreported cases because most cases are so mild. You continue to ignore that and keep saying that we are all going to die

11 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I’m sorry to hear this, Ive been through mental health issues so if you want to talk my DMs are always open. Going on medication was one of the best things I’ve ever done, keep it as an option.

Please feel like you can talk to people!

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is 133 in w day a high number? I honestly don’t know the figures

UK data for the last few years. 

1B3DA732-6592-481B-AF65-E04531DD5CFB.thumb.jpeg.db906d717bd3a7a9f5b0ee7b8061f82e.jpeg

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I know this isn't possible for everyone but is there any way you are able to pay for some sort of private sessions or at least a consultation with a counsellor or CBT person or something? You could bypass the waiting time and get someone professional to talk to in days. Obviously heavily research who and what but it could help? They're just as professional as the NHS and no need for referral waiting time 

Edited by efcfanwirral

28 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'm a mental health 1st aider so happy to DM if you need a chat. My advice would be to get a GP appointment to discuss options, be that medication, talking therapies or both. 

It can be hard to find the motivation when you're struggling with metal health but excersise really does help. It doesn't even need to be much, just getting out for a 20 minute walk a few times a week is a good start.

A good diet and reducing booze also helps.

33 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

DM me if you like, I am a qualified pharmacist of 11 years who has been on Sertraline and 1 month off being a qualified prescriber.

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've purposely stayed out of this thread to protect my peace but I thought I'd share an observation after a weekend spent in London. I've used various forms of transport and moved freely across the breadth of the city and one thing that was noticeable is the lack of people wearing "protective" masks. I spotted maybe a dozen over the course of 48 hours. People seem to be just getting on with life regardless. They maybe taking a few more precautions but certainly nothing obvious.

I'm not trivialising a clearly very serious situation but some, if not most areas of the media would have us think we're on the brink of the collapse of civilisation as we know it. I'm not entirely sure what my point is but once this situation has resolved itself, the same organisations where the majority of the country sources it's "information" will probably be warning of a critical water shortage due to everyone needing to wash their hands for twenty seconds every time during the Coronavirus crisis. In times like this I'm quick to remind myself that fear, bad news, negativity and pessimism sells newspapers and fuels 24 hour news channel viewing figures. Just look at the political state of the world over the past decade to reinforce that point.

Right now, the festival is going ahead and although I've got zero scientific basis to back any hope up, I still firmly believe it will. Seems to me the only real threat to it is the fear being created by those with a certain agenda.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the electronica thread planning which of the many micro venues I'll be in at 4am on the Saturday morning of the festival. 

I live in London and completely agree with this this, as someone working (albeit mainly from home but not every day), travelling, shopping and going out in the capital. It really feels the same. At 6music festival today and feels very normal.