Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

46 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We had flights booked with Flybe in April. Don't know if it's even worth booking elsewhere at the moment!

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you haven’t lost too much money.  I’d feel the same about rebooking, so hard to know what’s the right move. I’ve a July holiday booked and paid for, kinda wish I didn’t right now. 
Charm x

38 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

As a lover of the Wednesday and Thursday before the main stages come online I could live with a few big acts pulling out - would give me more time to explore and relax and catch some new bands. Also might get ticket as you say!

This might work temporarily, but unless every country did the same it would soon make its way back in from elsewhere.

That's the problem, no one really knows how best to deal with it ..just keep hoping I suppose 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

???

I really don’t want to agree with Trump but that 3.4% figure was based on reported cases of the virus and the deaths associated with those cases. 

What that number doesn’t include is the large amount of cases with symptoms so mild that they weren't reported. We don’t really know the actual figure and probably won’t do for a while. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Inforoo are saying that Coachella is still going ahead but lots of artists have pulled out. Perhaps some large festivals will downsize instead of cancel.

That’s my worry for Glastonbury - it goes ahead but none of the overseas acts want to come, so we end up with...

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

higher individual risk than a huge space.

Actually said to my mate that they’ll make a big deal of the numbers at Glastonbury but they forget at times you’ll be 2 miles away from others! 

Maybe a lot more acts will fly in perform and fly out rather than stay for the weekend and experience the festival which would be a shame but shouldn’t really affect our experience 

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I really don’t want to agree with Trump but that 3.4% figure was based on reported cases of the virus and the deaths associated with those cases. 

What that number doesn’t include is the large amount of cases with symptoms so mild that they weren't reported. We don’t really know the actual figure and probably won’t do for a while. 

Correct. Trump actually talked sense.... he must be ill. 

The 3.4% figure is of people who showed strong symptoms. They cheif medical officer guy said on the news yesterday its very misleading as it does not account for the cases not recorded because they have next to no symptoms or even the people with just minor symptoms. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On another note anyone else going 6music festival this weekend? That still seems to be going ahead fine, although the venues are pretty small...

Yeah, going to the Roisin Murphy night on Saturday. And Supergrass at Ally Pally tomorrow! Busy weekend!

I want to make it clear In advance this post is not meant to be doom and gloom and negative etc.... But every year due to the popularity of the festival we get calls for all sorts of convoluted systems for selling tickets, like ballots, closing registrations, loyalty schemes etc etc. But ultimately it will always be in the festivals best interest to make it as easy and accessible for everyone to try and get a ticket and keep the demand for festival as high as possible.

Something like this could conceivably lead to loads of acts cancelling, loads of tickets back in the resale pot, or worse still the cancellation of the whole festival.

Who knows what impact that would have (if any) in the long term, but nothing in life can ever be taken for granted, including from the festivals point of view its continued popularity, as life has a way of coming along and changing everything when you least expect it.

The UK response to coronavirus was already moving into its second “delay” phase, rather than seeking to simply “contain” the disease, Prof Whitty told British MPs.

“We have moved from a situation where we are mainly in contain, with some delay built in, to we are now mainly delay,” said Britain’s Chief Medical Officer, although elements of the contain process were remaining in place.

“We have moved from a situation where we are mainly in contain, with some delay built in, to we are now mainly delay,” he said, although elements of the contain process were remaining in place.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/05/coronavirus-live-updates-italy-germany-pandemic-europe-uk-us-australia-india-update-latest-news

Today's update:

Starting with China again as it seems to be the best source of good news! Cases down 2,221 so now only 25,215 cases throughout the country. Total reported is 80,411 so this is very impressive (and mostly accounted for with recoveries - 3,013 deaths). Elsewhere in Asia there was a little more increase than previous days. Thankfully, Singapore (32), Taiwan (29), Indonesia (2), Philippines (1), Vietnam (0), Macau (1) and Cambodia (0) saw no change. Surprisingly, Hong Kong actually went down by one case (60). Thailand had an increase of 4 due to travellers from Iran and Italy (15) and Malaysia doubled in cases to 28. Japan didn't announce any more recoveries yesterday so they grew by 38 (282). South Korea also announced no recoveries so continue to grow at an alarming rate. Up by 753 to 6,012.

In the Middle East, there are no real disasters yet except Iran of course. Afghanistan (1), Jordan (1), Qatar (8) and Kuwait (56) saw no changes and Lebanon actually managed to fall by 1 (12). Elsewhere, the increases were pretty marginal as UAE grew by 1 (23), Israel by 3 (14), Saudi Arabia by 1 (2), Oman by 3 (13), Bahrain by 3 (52) and Iraq by 1 (33) - although Iraq did announce its first 2 deaths. The slow growth so far in the Middle East is encouraging. Iran on the other hand continues to grow but only an increase of 310 (2,278). Their recoveries nearly doubled but until there is a longer trend line in Iran it is hard to take much from their unreliable figures.

In Africa, Algeria's cases have started to rise and it is up 7 (12). Senegal's cases doubled to 4, but no change in Tunisia (1), Egypt (1) and Nigeria (1).

For Europe, there won't be 'good' news for quite some time. A good day in Europe is going to be a day when growth isn't too bad, recoveries are announced and no 'explosions' like Italy occur. It won't be like Asia were we can hope for case reductions for some time yet. Hopefully some more 'second wave' countries begin to announce recoveries soon.

In that sense, yesterday wasn't too bad. Quite a few countries saw no increases, the most significant in terms of existing cases was Denmark who remain on 10. A few new countries too in Faroe Islands (1), Poland (1), Slovenia (1) and Hungary (2). I think I forgot to mention Gibraltar as new the day before as well (1). No new countries announcing recoveries sadly and we saw fairly expected levels of growth throughout the larger countries. UK grew by 34 (77), Germany by 59 (246), Spain by 56 (218) and France by 73 (269). Other countries with fairly large growth were Switzerland (30 to 86 - first death as well), Norway (24 to 56), Netherlands (14 to 38) and Iceland (12 to 26). Ireland grew by 4 (6).

Italy continues to be the focal point and it saw an increase of 443 (2,706) which was fairly consistent with the previous day's increase. Over 100 recoveries which was good news at least.

In Latin America, there was no change for new countries Chile and Argentina (both 1). Brazil however doubled to 4 and Ecuador grew by 3 (10). Further north, Mexico remained on 4 and there was no change for Dominican Republic (1) and Saint Barthelemy (3). The USA increased by 30 (140) but saw another 2 deaths. Canada didn't see much movement, only an increase of 1 (28).

In the rest of the world, there was very little change. Russia (1), Pakistan (5), Nepal (0), Sri Lanka (0) and India (25) saw no change. New Zealand increased by 1 again (3) however Australia's cases are increasing at a slightly faster rate. They were up 12 (39) and also saw their second death.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Reading the q+a from Chris Whitty is making me feel more positive about it all. Seems like a lovely, sensible and knowledgable chap.

I saw him on BBC Breakfast yesterday and I was really impressed. He answered all the questions and when he was not able to give clear answers, he clearly explained why this is. 

on a side note - I have a science background and I remember one of the last assignments during my degree was to read a really complex Scientific Journal (PNAS) about a major advancement in understanding MS. I then had to write a newspaper-type article explaining it. It was actually one of my hardest assignments. It really is a skill to communicate these things well to the public without resulting to daily fail type headlines.