Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

After been frozen out for last 3 years I was so looking forward to my return. However I have now resigned to the fact it will be cancelled. There is just no way it will be allowed to go ahead. Bands will pull out, staff will be an issue and police cover will be required elsewhere etc.

The only good thing is that I have resigned to the fact now so better than having everything paid and cancelling at last minute. I will hopefully have come to terms with it by the summer. Gutted does not even go close to how I feel...

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, The_Wiseman said:

After been frozen out for last 3 years I was so looking forward to my return. However I have now resigned to the fact it will be cancelled. There is just no way it will be allowed to go ahead. Bands will pull out, staff will be an issue and police cover will be required elsewhere etc.

The only good thing is that I have resigned to the fact now so better than having everything paid and cancelling at last minute. I will hopefully have come to terms with it by the summer. Gutted does not even go close to how I feel...

Hello Mr Sunshine.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This is what I've been trying to say. Canceling any events say over 5000 people for the whole of say June? When they expect the virus to be in full force. They start canceling all the festivals, concerts, sporting events and where do all those people go instead? Outside on the town, to other events and probably end up getting it anyway. 

If its already out there in full force there's no point in stopping events. 

Exactly this.

Events are being cancelled at the minute because it is beneficial to push the outbreak to the summer months. If all of Europe has loads of cases by June, then cancelling Glastonbury will do nothing.

3 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

What’s the value of G to the local economy? How many hundreds or thousands of jobs critically depend on it? How many small traders and freelancers would go bust without it? 

In many ways I think things like G are more important to the ‘economy’ than making sure a few stock brokers get to work ok 

Edit: I’m being flippant about stockbrokers, I know some valuable jobs use it too 

Nah you're completely right, what it does for the local economy, the traders, the money it brings into the town. The BBC viewership over that weekend, all the money that goes to charity. Its not just  'oh ya, its not really important just some music in a field' 

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Exactly this.

Events are being cancelled at the minute because it is beneficial to push the outbreak to the summer months. If all of Europe has loads of cases by June, then cancelling Glastonbury will do nothing.

Working on this theory I'd quite like to catch the virus sooner rather than later to decrease the chances of having it over the festival...

Some appalling stuff here. It seems that too many would happily put at risk the lives of the entire country if it means they get their few days of partying.

You should be WORRIED if it goes ahead, because at least in terms of how it looks now, this means profit will ultimately have been put above safety.

Nevertheless, it’s very unlikely to go ahead. I imagine the festival’s many strands of insurance are already at risk. It doesn’t matter if the virus is clear by June, by then it will have long been declared as uninsurable.

Edited by Dusk1983

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Working on this theory I'd quite like to catch the virus sooner rather than later to decrease the chances of having it over the festival...

Thats my worry at the moment. I'm now fairly confident that it will go ahead but the idea of coming down with the virus during G is a bit worrying.  I'd have to put myself in a zorb ball to contain the virus.

On the plus side, if it rains, I'll stay nice and dry.  I haven't figured out what to do about the toilet situation yet but I've got a few months to figure it out.

14 minutes ago, The_Wiseman said:

I guess you threw your ticket back in the pot so and got your refund since it’s definitely cancelled? Moronic post. 

2 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

You should be WORRIED if it goes ahead, because at least in terms of how it looks now, this means profit will ultimately have been put above safety.

Not sure the festival is concerned regarding profit buddy. 

Majority of the money made after overheads goes towards the nominated charities & lots of local not for profit organisations benefit from the festival being on by supplying stewards and getting donations for doing so.

If the festival doesn't go ahead it will be felt most by those.

5 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

Some appalling stuff here. It seems that too many would happily put at risk the lives of the entire country if it means they get their few days of partying.

Nevertheless, it’s very unlikely to go ahead. I imagine the festival’s many strands of insurance are already at risk. It doesn’t matter if the virus is clear by June, by then it will have long been declared as uninsurable.

Are you giving up your ticket then?

3 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

Nope, thats not where I'm coming from. 

My frame of mind is if they chose to cancel Glastonbury along with other big events/social gatherings then the country might as well go into shut down in terms of public transport (underground is 2 million people a day), schools and offices.

If you think the whole country will go into shut down in June, then yes, we have a very big problem on our hands and the safety of others should be put before anything. 

BUT, if the virus is already at its peak by May/June and there's just a chance that you're gonna catch it then cancelling all events isn't going to help that. All they can do is educate people of how to stay safe and not to go to such evens if they have it. 

12 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

Odd take.

Can you list all things between now and July you think should be cancelled/people stopped from doing?  

6 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

You need to find what's actually being said between the sensationalist headlines to keep up to date with the conversation.

The government are being advised that the cancellation of mass gatherings has a minimal impact. It doesn't seem likely they'd force the festival to shut down.

A festival spokesperson has said they're still planning for business as usual. So neither party is preparing for anything different.

Glastonbury is still over three and a half months away. All this will almost certainly have an impact, but with enough time for alternative options and contingency plans. Perhaps it will make insurance more complicated; maybe a few acts will decide not to attend; the resale will be a little bit easier, but your prophecies of doom don't reflect an accurate take of what's happening.

I originally voted (in the other thread) that it could go either way. Today, I'd change my vote to 'likely to go ahead'.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I originally voted (in the other thread) that it could go either way. Today, I'd change my vote to 'likely to go ahead'.

I always think you're a sensible voice of reason, so that's a reassuring take Kali.

However I will, of course, hunt you down and hold you responsible for my disappointment if the festival is cancelled 👿

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

After the good news earlier today, I am very happy that as soon as someone had an extremely negative comment, they were immediately put on blast.

What was the good news? I think I've missed something! Was it the line about cancelling mass gatherings having minimal effect?