Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Does stuff have to be new or interesting to be any good though? Stuff can be good and entertaining without being groundbreaking or having a meaningful message or owt like that.

Sometimes it's just nice to be entertained by some upbeat tunes

Circling back to cover this briefly: maybe 'new' was the wrong adjective to use, but I think I have to find something interesting about the music to get onboard. In this case, I've got nothing. 

I'm happy to admit/acknowledge that pop (as we're discussing here, rather than the catch-all term 'popular music') isn't really my bag so by default I'm going to be less easy to please but at the same time there's been enough down recent years I have liked (the aforementioned Robyn,  Lana Del Rey, most of Beyonce's output, that last Lorde album, even George fucking Ezra) that I don't think I could be accused of just being snobby about the genre. 

There's no doubt that pop music (as described above) is the predominate genre at the moment and it's become 'cool' to be into it, sometimes I think that leads to the championing of stuff that doesn't really deserve the acclaim. For every person at one end of the scale who refuses to acknowledge any pop music is decent, just because it's pop, there's someone else at the opposite end of the scale who'll claim to love everything with a pop slant whether it's any good or not.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Circling back to cover this briefly: maybe 'new' was the wrong adjective to use, but I think I have to find something interesting about the music to get onboard. In this case, I've got nothing. 

Good things about Physical:

- Stellar production (in a style that hasnt been mainstream since the 80's afaik, let me know if im wrong)

- Varied  vocal delivery (the verses have the contrast between the Dua's normal singing and head voice, pre chorus is the quirky british accent talk part etc.)

- Hooks on Hooks (baby keep on dancing like we aint got a choice...)

- Personality (something that I think was lacking in her s/t album, but this and dont start now ooze it imo)

Bad things:

- It doesn't do anything "new"

- Lyrics are mediocre

I get that this isnt doing something incredibly different, but its just a really solid pop song

13 hours ago, zero000 said:

Yet you wouldn’t answer my question earlier? I’ll try again, what  pop music do you like?

you need to tell me why you think I hate all pop music first. You said it, so justify it.

I'm not playing your trolling game to your rules. I said nothing outrageous; you did.

Edited by eFestivals

I think there's one thing most can agree on around here and that Ellie Goulding is terrible, some people love her and that baffles me, I saw part of her 2016 set from the cider bus and it was horrific, it even made me buy my cider and move. 

Not heard much of Dua Lipa to comment but I know Mrs Doug likes her, she also loves Spice Girls et al too though so has a soft spot for certain pop acts. 

Some pop is catchy though, I know a certain Miss Swift has quite a range but is a large % of pop music and I love her music. 

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

you need to tell me why you think I hate all pop music first. You said it, so justify it.

I'm not playing your trolling game to your rules. I said nothing outrageous; you did.

You've made several comments which have included the words ; "plastic pop"; "production-line" and "Stock Aitken and Waterman". I get it. It's the idea that a piece of music produced or written by a load of people isn't worth your time. I personally disagree and think it's just as valid as music written by a bunch of upstarts in a dingy recording studio. Neither is more valid than the other.

There's an art to making pop, just as there's an art to making complex and "difficult" music. We can appreciate both without denigrating the other.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, zero000 said:

You've made several comments which have included the words ; "plastic pop"; "production-line" and "Stock Aitken and Waterman". I get it. It's the idea that a piece of music produced or written by a load of people isn't worth your time.

no, you don't get it.

It's about quality. :rolleyes: 

Not all mass produced pop is the same. Some is decent, and some is shit.

18 hours ago, Badlands said:

The worst thing I've ever seen at Glastonbury that Goulding set. Even worse than the Legs Akimbo AmDram style interpretation of World War 3 by a load of hippies dressed as bombs that I witnessed at the Stone Circle in 2008.

I really liked Ellie Goulding’s second album but it seems she just completely fizzled into total mediocrity.

10 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Yet you've consistently refused to answer which of it you consider "decent". It's not really adding weight to your argument.

don't know why you're bothering, just leave it and ignore him. been enough shite and offtopic posts ITT.

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just for clarity, the "eyeroll" emoji does not add weight to one's argument. It just comes across as condescending.

and me being told by someone who knows nothing about me that I hate all pop music is luvvy-duvvy? :lol: 

You might think I'm being a w*nker here, but if I am it's very definitely not only me. 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and you've consistently refused to justify your claims about my tastes. 

Personally, you have never really seem to enjoy pop music, most of the time you claim its "plastic" (whatever that means) and not to your tastes. Every time you comment on pop music it is about how you dislike it (see: Robyn as you mentioned in thid threas). Only exception I can think of is Lizzo and you were only swayed on her after seeing her at G.

Its fine if you dont like pop music - thats allowed - but to start acting like youve been slighted when people insinuate that is a bit of an overreaction imo.

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Personally, you have never really seem to enjoy pop music, most of the time you claim its "plastic" (whatever that means) and not to your tastes. Every time you comment on pop music it is about how you dislike it (see: Robyn as you mentioned in thid threas). Only exception I can think of is Lizzo and you were only swayed on her after seeing her at G.

Its fine if you dont like pop music - thats allowed - but to start acting like youve been slighted when people insinuate that is a bit of an overreaction imo.

:lol: 

I do love it when people tell me what I like.