Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you can like what you like, but shit plastic pop is still shit plastic pop. :) 

Cririque of the music = absolutely fine. No beef with that, otherwise this place would be incredibly dull. 

"People like you not being able to tell the difference" = more than a bit douchey and guardian of the one true way.

• Like 2

Aside from the obvious 80s references, this new Dua track really reminds me of Ladyhawke's 'My Delirium'.

Anyway, it's camp as tits and I welcome a big, euphoric pop song any day.

I still find *her* to be not a particularly comfortable pop star, however.  I suppose it's quite common with these big pop girls now - the labels force them into dance routines etc once they've had a few big hits even if they are terrible dancers (see also Mabel & Anne-Marie).

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why don't you tell me all about your "pop music isn't real music" theory?

Cos I'm a bit confused by what you're saying with my 35 years of attending a pop festival.

You brought up “plastic pop” as a term of derision, which is why I asked the question. 

Yes Glastonbury is all “popular “ music, but I think you know what type of pop I was referring to. 

15 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Have to say that, despite me being firmly on the Robyn train, having listened to a few Dua Lipa tracks I'm in agreement with Neil here. 

Absolutely nothing new or interesting in there. 

Does stuff have to be new or interesting to be any good though? Stuff can be good and entertaining without being groundbreaking or having a meaningful message or owt like that.

Sometimes it's just nice to be entertained by some upbeat tunes