Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Really hope this Kendrick set isn’t just going to be phoned in ? lots of consecutive dates makes me a bit worried that there is no big production / show.

I've seen him twice at Leeds festival, 2015 subbing The Libertines with a full band he was phenomenal, lots of jamming by the band, very loose, unbelievable flow and delivery from Kenny as well. 2018 on the Damn ! tour was very overproduced, I still enjoyed it but everything was very staged, the band were in the side of the stage and couldn't really be seen. 

Hopefully Glasto gets a balanced mixture of the two, he needs a band on stage with him to distance himself from Kanye and Stormzy who have recently headlined, but needs production tailored to it being a one off special headline set for Glasto. I hope he realizes how special it is that they want him to headline, and the 50th at that. Jay Z understood the significance and Kendrick is a student of the game so hopefully he does his research.  

1 hour ago, AlexOvd said:

Sorry to interrupt, but there is nothing more entry level than Taylor Swift and here in the forum was celebrated like crazy. Even the fans where looking like crazy when confirmed what was Glastonbury. It says a lot ?

That’s not what I define as entry level. This is Taylor’s first summer of headlining festivals. This isn’t exactly booking someone that has been on the market for years. Taylor has only given festivals a looking very recently.

To me entry level / vanilla headliners are Kings of Leon, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, Muse, Kasabian, Snow Patrol, Liam Gallagher.

Just an easy way to sell tickets to people who get genuinely upset about seeing something different. Glasto Chat would be happy to see those bands headline on rotation every single year.

I love Glastonbury because it refuses (when it can) to stoop the levels of download, IOW, TRNSMT etc by booking extremely predictable lineups.

I love the fact that Emily’s priority is getting people who have never played before to make their glasto debut. Obviously sometimes a backup call will be made but thank the fucking Lord that there is a festival out there willing to do something different and not succumb to the cycles of mediocrity of other festivals.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That’s not what I define as entry level. This is Taylor’s first summer of headlining festivals. This isn’t exactly booking someone that has been on the market for years. Taylor has only given festivals a looking very recently.

To me entry level / vanilla headliners are Kings of Leon, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, Muse, Kasabian, Snow Patrol, Liam Gallagher.

Just an easy way to sell tickets to people who get genuinely upset about seeing something different. Glasto Chat would be happy to see those bands headline on rotation every single year.

I love Glastonbury because it refuses (when it can) to stoop the levels of download, IOW, TRNSMT etc by booking extremely predictable lineups.

I love the fact that Emily’s priority is getting people who have never played before to make their glasto debut. Obviously sometimes a backup call will be made but thank the fucking Lord that there is a festival out there willing to do something different and not succumb to the cycles of mediocrity of other festivals.

Reading you it looks like Glastonbury has booked someone exclusively or doing something out of the expected line up, but the fact is that Taylor and Kendrick are doing many festivals in Europe this summer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Reading you it looks like Glastonbury has booked someone exclusively or doing something out of the expected line up, but the fact is that Taylor and Kendrick are doing many festivals in Europe this summer. 

Do you understand how tours work? Have you heard of a tour?

Who the fuck does just glasto and then goes home. 

Does the average UK festival goer care that Taylor is headlining Nos alive or Kendrick is at Rock Werchter?

Edited by Matt42
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Do you understand how tours work? Have you heard of a tour?

Who the fuck does just glasto and then goes home. 

Does the average UK festival goers care that Taylor is headlining Nos alive or Kendrick is at Rock Werchter?

Yes, I have heard of a tour and I have been in some, I am afraid.

I don't care Taylor or Kendrick are headlining other festivals and I will enjoy the festival, I just see your avoiding "extremely predictable lineups" not consistent this year according with the line up headliners, but anyway.

3 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Yes, I have heard of a tour and I have been in some, I am afraid.

I don't care Taylor or Kendrick are headlining other festivals and I will enjoy the festival, I just see your avoiding "extremely predictable lineups" not consistent this year according with the line up headliners, but anyway.

How on earth can two headliners (Taylor and Kendrick) who in the past have been way out of Glasto’s budget be predictable or run of the mill.

You think they are predictable because you read festival forums and chart who is playing where. The average person doesn’t have a clue that Kendrick has some dates in Europe unless they actively go looking for it.

I listed those bands because it’s probably the safest bet in the world that they will be playing a festival somewhere in the UK every year. It’s predictable because the prospect of them playing doesn’t feel special at all.

Also - I don’t understand your point about Taylor and Kendrick playing European festivals and that having any bearing on the UK. Glasto will always be part of a wider tour. It’s very rare that someone will headline or play glasto and do nothing else for the rest of the summer. It’s not how tours work.

Edited by Matt42

7 hours ago, incident said:

As best I can tell, the complaints aren't coming from the alternative industry. They're coming from the types who are still upset that Oasis split up and aren't headlining.

I’m upset that I won’t get to see Oasis again. Is that such a crime? Not everyone who likes Oasis has bad taste.

I can’t decide what I want from a Kendrick headline set. Do I want the full bad show in the hope it wins over the doubters or do I want just him and a DJ up there because that’s all it takes in my opinion. Sick of hearing this notion that MC’s need a band behind them. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’m upset that I won’t get to see Oasis again. Is that such a crime? Not everyone who likes Oasis has bad taste.

I can’t decide what I want from a Kendrick headline set. Do I want the full bad show in the hope it wins over the doubters or do I want just him and a DJ up there because that’s all it takes in my opinion. Sick of hearing this notion that MC’s need a band behind them. 

I’ve seen Kendrick doing both and with a full band on stage with him to interact with it just gave it an extra edge to it, that’s just personal preference 

The MC/Band thing is interesting. Jay Z had a band, nailed it. Kanye didn't, fell short. Stormy didn't, nailed it too. I'd take a rapper with a band. I have limited knowledge of Kendrick but i reckon it would be him and a dj and he'd probably nail it 

7 hours ago, Slugworth said:

The MC/Band thing is interesting. Jay Z had a band, nailed it. Kanye didn't, fell short. Stormy didn't, nailed it too. I'd take a rapper with a band. I have limited knowledge of Kendrick but i reckon it would be him and a dj and he'd probably nail it 

I didn’t think Kanye fell short as much as the stage invader killed the energy after like the 4/5th song? Then in the middle he did too many slow ones with Bon Iver and pulled it around by the encores. At times it was amazing I thought he just didn’t sustain the energy of it throughout.

I’ve never seen Kendrick myself think I’d rather it was a DJ myself. 

19 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

From memory a lot of people at the time seemed to think that Stevie wasn't big enough.

Christ, really!? Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Distinctly remember my grandparents and a few Aunties texting me saying they were jealous. 

13 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It’s not a crime, but typically oasis reunion fans on twitter don’t want to settle for anything else. Not to paint a broad brush but we’ve all seen attitudes by some complainers that anything but an Oasis reunion is proof that Glastonbury “isn’t as good as it used to be”. They act like it’s Glastonbury’s fault that oasis or led zep aren’t playing.

You can hope for a reunion, but getting actually annoyed when it doesn’t happen means there’s egg on your face... not glasto’s. They can’t book an act which doesn’t exist.

Edited by Matt42

57 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s not a crime, but typically oasis reunion fans on twitter don’t want to settle for anything else. Not to paint a broad brush but we’ve all seen attitudes by some complainers that anything but an Oasis reunion is proof that Glastonbury “isn’t as good as it used to be”. They act like it’s Glastonbury’s fault that oasis or led zep aren’t playing.

You can hope for a reunion, but getting actually annoyed when it doesn’t happen means there’s egg on your face... not glasto’s. They can’t book an act which doesn’t exist.

I saw people on twitter say that since Emily has taken over shes 'given up trying and is phoning it in' and then replied to a tweet saying 'they should be able to get a band like Pink Floyd back together if they really wanted'

Its madness. 

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I saw people on twitter say that since Emily has taken over shes 'given up trying and is phoning it in' and then replied to a tweet saying 'they should be able to get a band like Pink Floyd back together if they really wanted'

Its madness. 

What I find funny is Glastonbury is apparently failing because Oasis and Pink Floyd aren’t being booked, as if every other festival isn’t completely in the toilet.

2 hours ago, chazwwe said:

Its madness. 

I'm furious they still haven't booked Prince yet.

PULL YOUR FINGER OUT EAVIS!!!

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Oasis won’t reform any time soon if ever. How many people out there are actually demanding Glastonbury books Oasis, Led Zep and Pink Floyd? 

Anyway I’m on a one man crusade to show everyone who pigeonholes Oasis fans I’ve got a deeper bag than them. ?

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Was having this exact conversation the other day after reading the Facebook comments about it not being "big enough acts for the 50th". I'm looking at seeing Taylor over Noel if I get a ticket and I'm a huge Oasis/Noel fan! To be fair I think those types would take Arctic Monkeys or Stone Roses also...

Definitely not Kendrick for me though, not my thing at all, plus is the 1975 rumour for the Other is true, I'll be there as they were amazing at Reading last year, despite my reservations about them beforehand. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

48 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Was having this exact conversation the other day after reading the Facebook comments about it not being "big enough acts for the 50th". I'm looking at seeing Taylor over Noel if I get a ticket and I'm a huge Oasis/Noel fan! To be fair I think those types would take Arctic Monkeys or Stone Roses also...

Oasis won’t reform any time soon if ever. How many people out there are actually demanding Glastonbury books Oasis, Led Zep and Pink Floyd? 

Anyway I’m on a one man crusade to show everyone who pigeonholes Oasis fans I’ve got a deeper bag than them. ?

I do think though that if Oasis do reunite one day, glasto will probably be on the cards. Both of the brothers now look to the place as part of the pinnacle of British music. Can barely keep Liam Gallagher away at the moment.

I reckon as well the Eavis’s willingness to keep having Liam back makes me think they are planning ahead. I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see an Oasis reunion which is their own massive show + Glastonbury. 

7 hours ago, Madyaker said:

The more I read about twitter the happier I am that Ive never used it.

Twitter is an amazing place and my main source of getting news quickly. It's particularly good as a football fan for following your team. 

It's very easy to avoid the idiots being referred to here. 

Edited by zeppelin
Sorry, double post.

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

What I find funny is Glastonbury is apparently failing because Oasis and Pink Floyd aren’t being booked, as if every other festival isn’t completely in the toilet.

Next year on T Day they should add to the 20s waiting page a warning that at least some, and possibly all, of the headliners will NOT be men with guitars.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Next year on T Day they should add to the 20s waiting page a warning that at least some, and possibly all, of the headliners will NOT be men with guitars.

absolutely and make a pledge that any social media complaints will lead to tickets being revoked and put in the resale pot :) 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

absolutely and make a pledge that any social media complaints will lead to tickets being revoked and put in the resale pot :) 

I honestly think the complaints are coming from people without tickets.

Ive seen it - people I know who’ve missed out are running to label the lineup as shit. Every announcement they have to find a problem with it.

Edited by Matt42