Knackered Achilles!

BluePaul

Ok so here's the thing.

Two weeks out and I have somehow managed to strain the Achilles tendon on my right foot.  I am currently shuffling round like a little old man and feeling very sorry for myself.  Walking any distance is not fun!

Given the amount of walking I have planned over the course of the festival, I need some help with a couple of things here.

Firstly, what is the best course of action to make my Achilles better before things start?  Lots of rest, or keep moving?  Ankle support or not? Deep Heat or cold compress?

And - assuming I'm still suffering by next Tuesday - what's best for getting out and about?  Walking stick or trekking pole?  Or just shuffle along, grumbling as I go?

I could of course seek proper medical advice, but where's the fun in that?

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received!

4 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I usually go for 24-48 hours of RICE, moving it about occasionally, then after that gradually try and use as much as you can without straining it further (not a medical professional, please don't sue if it falls off) 

Anneka or Tim?

Rest it and get some ice/frozen peas on it for a few days. Once it feels a bit better get a compression sock/support on it. Sadly I have done this quite a few times. it will be a pain for this week but in two weeks time you should be able to move, take a walking stick to help take the weight off when on site.

• Upvote 1

Ruptured mine completely just before the 2015 Glastonbury and had to give it a miss.

A year on I went 2016 and after 5 days of the Mud, I was in so much pain.
Remember to take some painkillers/ibuprofen and pray for the weather.

I still feel Achilles pain now so have stopped all sports till after.

Good luck with the recovery

A friend did Glastonbury on crutches a few years ago (and another one will be doing it this year). If you do decide you need crutches, a stick or similar, their top tip was to have a spike on the bottom of it for the mud. Helped stop them falling over on multiple occasions.

58 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Ok so here's the thing.

Two weeks out and I have somehow managed to strain the Achilles tendon on my right foot.  I am currently shuffling round like a little old man and feeling very sorry for myself.  Walking any distance is not fun!

Given the amount of walking I have planned over the course of the festival, I need some help with a couple of things here.

Firstly, what is the best course of action to make my Achilles better before things start?  Lots of rest, or keep moving?  Ankle support or not? Deep Heat or cold compress?

And - assuming I'm still suffering by next Tuesday - what's best for getting out and about?  Walking stick or trekking pole?  Or just shuffle along, grumbling as I go?

I could of course seek proper medical advice, but where's the fun in that?

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received!

This is my major fear coming up to the festival an illness or injury! Hope it feels better soon mate!

Advise- as someone who has been run over before and still not gone to a doctor - just walk it off! youll be fine.

I've had a flare up of my sciatica and so been searching the internet for miracle cures for the last few days. One little gem that I've stumbled across which applies to all injuries is if activity makes it feel better use heat and if activity makes it feel worse use cold. 

Get thee to the physio! RICE. Avoid Ibuprofen as it weakens the tendons (according to my ortho consultant).

I ripped my Achilles in 2016 and was in plaster for a week then a boot for 8 weeks. Don’t take risks of it snapping. It’s an almighty pain in the arse. No driving for 3 months, learning to walk without a limp again, 12 months of physio....but all good now. Did the Inca Trail last year ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I've had a flare up of my sciatica and so been searching the internet for miracle cures for the last few days. One little gem that I've stumbled across which applies to all injuries is if activity makes it feel better use heat and if activity makes it feel worse use cold. 

MrsP swears by stretching for her sciatica....particularly 1, 4 and 6 here....

https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

MrsP swears by stretching for her sciatica....particularly 1, 4 and 6 here....

https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches

Thanks. I'd come across this site and think I'm actually in too much pain to do some of those at the moment. My physio has given me some gentler ones to start with but am going to try and see if I can do these by the end of the week. My leg feels like it is on fire. It's so sore. I've still been doing m best to walk but this morning walking was making it even sorer! 

Did 2009 with a severely ingrowing toenail, could barely walk and it was my first year so had no idea how massive the site was.

My advice is take it easy and rest up as much as possible beforehand. Bringing a fishing stool to squat on when required is recommended. 

Good thread.

I am currently in a reasonably similar scenario - twisted foot a month ago, MRI revealed bad stress pattern injury - can’t weight bear etc.

Am on crutches and no way I can now do a full festival, Worthy View etc.  Finally let go of that prospect yesterday which was mentally excruciating to do (telling wife to book a train instead of us driving etc).

Working on my own Plan B which will be perhaps weekend only and just sitting in a spot somewhere taking as much in as possible.

Appreciated tip on the crutch spike above.

Any other crutch or other tips welcomed. X

Edited by GlastoEls

Thanks everyone, out of upvotes now but much appreciated.  Never heard the correlation between hot/cold treatment and movement/rest before!

If it's dry (it will be) I should be ok - it's just the thought of dragging my tender ankle through the mud that's troubling me...

7 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Good thread.

I am currently in a reasonably similar scenario - twisted foot a month ago, MRI revealed bad stress pattern injury - can’t weight bear etc.

Am on crutches and no way I can now do a full festival, Worthy View etc.  Finally let go of that prospect yesterday which was mentally excruciating to do (telling wife to book a train instead of us driving etc).

Working on my own Plan B which will be perhaps weekend only and just sitting in a spot somewhere taking as much in as possible.

buy some el wire and attach with cable ties ... makes them more visible to the inebriated 

8 hours ago, matthewy2 said:

Ruptured mine completely just before the 2015 Glastonbury and had to give it a miss.

A year on I went 2016 and after 5 days of the Mud, I was in so much pain.
Remember to take some painkillers/ibuprofen and pray for the weather.

I still feel Achilles pain now so have stopped all sports till after.

Good luck with the recovery

My friend ruptured his last year. Had to give boomtown a miss. He is with us this year.

7 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Good thread.

I'm attending with a broken collarbone. Maybe we should have a big meetup with everyone and their ailments.

8 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Get thee to the physio! RICE. Avoid Ibuprofen as it weakens the tendons (according to my ortho consultant).

I ripped my Achilles in 2016 and was in plaster for a week then a boot for 8 weeks. Don’t take risks of it snapping. It’s an almighty pain in the arse. No driving for 3 months, learning to walk without a limp again, 12 months of physio....but all good now. Did the Inca Trail last year ?

May explain why mine actually snapped :(
I was taking Ibuprofen constantly for weeks before it, due to a knee injury.

15 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My friend ruptured his last year. Had to give boomtown a miss. He is with us this year.

Hopefully this weather improves and he doesn't notice it.
2016 was horrible because I was forever dragging my wellies out the mud.