No new clothes

Sawdusty surfer

Regardless of your views on consumerism or fast fashion, it's easy to understand why traders who've paid £000's to have pitches at Glastonbury selling clothes are pissed off with a press release that says 'Say No to new clothes at Glastonbury'.

47 minutes ago, stuie said:

Regardless of your views on consumerism or fast fashion, it's easy to understand why traders who've paid £000's to have pitches at Glastonbury selling clothes are pissed off with a press release that says 'Say No to new clothes at Glastonbury'.

Glastonbury is selling them a space where they can make their own sales pitch, it's not selling them a Glastonbury Festival endorsement or encouragement to buy.

And anyone with half as brain should have worked out by now that mankind is going to have to cut-back on the rampant consumerism - and it's good to see Oxfam and Glastonbury taking a lead on something much more substantial than banning straws.

It's where we've got to go. People will have to get used to it.

5 hours ago, tarw said:

To me it’s not just the disposable nature of clothes but what they are made of.  Most of the clothing I have seen for sale on site are made from cotton or other natural fibres.  Will Oxfam be stocking purely natural fibre clothes? 

Clothes made from synthetic materials, or with Lycra added to them not only take longer to rot in landfill but every time you wash them add to the micro plastics getting into the rivers and seas.

luckily my body shape does not suit Lycra so I find it easy to avoid anyway.

I sincerely doubt it, and anyway they'll have the vegans round complaining about wool, silk and leather if they do that.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Glastonbury is selling them a space where they can make their own sales pitch, it's not selling them a Glastonbury Festival endorsement or encouragement to buy.

And anyone with half as brain should have worked out by now that mankind is going to have to cut-back on the rampant consumerism - and it's good to see Oxfam and Glastonbury taking a lead on something much more substantial than banning straws.

It's where we've got to go. People will have to get used to it.

It’s a dilemma for all of us Neil and not a simple one. We need some consumerism to provide employment. Just as you rely on referral money from Amazon from people buying things that they don’t need. 

Im a make do and mender. I would rather get my washing machine fixed than buy a new one. I think I am in the minority though

Seems like a call to common sense more than anything... Glastonbury have to tread a very fine line between encouraging traders to fill the markets (which are essential at a festival for 1/4 million people that lasts nearly a week - SOMEONE is going to need to buy a jumper, a waterproof or some replacement shoes) and sticking to the ethical way they've at least tried to run the festival.

I would guess they're trying to encourage less of the fast-fashion, cheap screen-printed "wacky slogan" t shirts that are all over the Pyramid markets without upsetting the countless traders all over the site who sell ethically sourced fashion. 

FWIW I've worn the same t shirt on the first day of Glastonbury for the last 20 years, the same tent for at least 13 and the same waterproof jacket and trousers for at least 10. 

5 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Looks like the gold hotpants I bought for Kylie's set are going to have to become my everyday ware until they are worn out.

Brilliant! 

Me too.

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Im a make do and mender. I would rather get my washing machine fixed than buy a new one. I think I am in the minority though

I think the problem with society is we have become too disposable but that is because things have been made to be disposed, unless you have the skills to mend yourself the cost of mending is often prohibitively expensive. The cost of getting repairs to clothes and shoes is akin to the price of a new cheap pair. 

The same with washing machines/ovens etc. Who would choose to pay £100 to get something fixed when you can often buy brand new and go back to having guarantees etc for often only £50-£100 more. 

49 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Looks like the gold hotpants I bought for Kylie's set are going to have to become my everyday ware until they are worn out.

Im auctioning off the pyramid stage  and ribbon tower in case anyone is running a festival where they want to use them .... 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I think the problem with society is we have become too disposable but that is because things have been made to be disposed, unless you have the skills to mend yourself the cost of mending is often prohibitively expensive. The cost of getting repairs to clothes and shoes is akin to the price of a new cheap pair. 

The same with washing machines/ovens etc. Who would choose to pay £100 to get something fixed when you can often buy brand new and go back to having guarantees etc for often only £50-£100 more. 

That’s if you pay for labour. I’m a tight arse that pays for parts and YouTubes how to fit them. Cheaper and less landfill 

2 hours ago, tarw said:

We need some consumerism to provide employment.

there's also 'consumerism' which doesn't involve buying 'stuff' - in fact festivals are just that. The downside of course is the stuff people buy to do a festival (tho that could be much more efficiently used).

Switching from consuming 'stuff' should be no more painful than the end of the industrial age in the UK - and that's probably less painful than the environmental consequences of doing nothing.

At the mo there's still too many people thinking the world will change but what they do in the world won't have to change. That's not how it's going to work as far as i can see.

Not sure if you saw that thing on the beeb with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Anita Rani last night? Bristol will have been an easy-sell for green ideas, but they quickly realised that they have to change along with the world.

I've just read the article and it seems pretty obvious to me it's talking about getting crap from Primark etc just for the festival which you'll never wear again - I suspect the majority of e-festers are not the type of people the message is aimed 

"Oxfam is making second-hand fashion a Worthy Cause at Glastonbury Festival 2019. It’s a solution to the damage fast fashion is doing to our planet and its people.

Fast fashion is clogging up landfill. A monstrous 11 million items of clothing end up in UK tips each week."

I’m always surprised how many stalls there are at Glastonbury selling those ‘I’m a right twat, me’ type of T-shirts, and how many people wear them. 

(I mean the ones with wacky slogans on them, not Courteeners tour tshirts)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tarw said:

That’s if you pay for labour. I’m a tight arse that pays for parts and YouTubes how to fit them. Cheaper and less landfill 

Ah yes but it's amazing how many people don't have those skills and those who have them take it for granted. I can't sew or do any make do or mend type things. Just don't have that skill set. Probably comes from being estranged from my mother and my father dying young. My husband is also totally lacking in any DIY skills again his father died young so nobody to teach these things. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Ah yes but it's amazing how many people don't have those skills and those who have them take it for granted. I can't sew or do any make do or mend type things. Just don't have that skill set. Probably comes from being estranged from my mother and my father dying young. My husband is also totally lacking in any DIY skills again his father died young so nobody to teach these things. 

have a go with something simple like buttons to start ... didn't think I could sew very well but its something that you can learn for sure :) have a go .. if it doesn't work no loss 

47 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's also 'consumerism' which doesn't involve buying 'stuff' - in fact festivals are just that. The downside of course is the stuff people buy to do a festival (tho that could be much more efficiently used).

Switching from consuming 'stuff' should be no more painful than the end of the industrial age in the UK - and that's probably less painful than the environmental consequences of doing nothing.

At the mo there's still too many people thinking the world will change but what they do in the world won't have to change. That's not how it's going to work as far as i can see.

Not sure if you saw that thing on the beeb with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Anita Rani last night? Bristol will have been an easy-sell for green ideas, but they quickly realised that they have to change along with the world.

That’s why I said some consumerism as opposed to the rampant consumerism you said needed to stop-total agreement. Even the consumerism of a service like a festival will have an impact as it uses resources. Biodiesel is better than diesel but it still has an impact. Even if everyone took their tent home there would be still be those damaged beyond repair due to the hammer it got and end up in landfill. 

Where do you draw the line?  If you deleted the I’ve found this bit of kit type threads as they promote rampant consumerism what would the effect be?  Probably loose members and a pitiful revenue from referral fees. Would it have an impact on consumerism?  I doubt it

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

YouTube is a fantastic resource. My father taught me very little skills. It was necessity of having no money and not wanting to was nappies by hand. Once you start fixing things yourself it becomes addictive 

2 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

What the heck are throwaway clothes? My budget dictates that even my Primark and supermarket clothes last me several years.

Exactly. First time I have heard the term “fast fashion”. The clothes that I buy I wear for years, until they get holes or fall apart. They would be mostly shop bought but if I see something nice at a festival I may buy it. Including a festival T-shirt.

2 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

I've just read the article and it seems pretty obvious to me it's talking about getting crap from Primark etc just for the festival which you'll never wear again - I suspect the majority of e-festers are not the type of people the message is aimed 

"Oxfam is making second-hand fashion a Worthy Cause at Glastonbury Festival 2019. It’s a solution to the damage fast fashion is doing to our planet and its people.

Fast fashion is clogging up landfill. A monstrous 11 million items of clothing end up in UK tips each week."

It's not just fast fashion, it's every store on the high street who want to sell as many clothes possible to create profit - they are just as guilty on pushing consumerism as a fast fashion company, as the hold high amounts of stock which they need to sell..

As someone mentioned above people need to change their habits, you get a lot of talk on being sustainable but there is a disconnect on people actually changing their buying habits as they like shiny new things - it's a vicious circle :( 

28 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I've still got a t-shirt that i wore to Ibiza in 1998. At 21 years old, it's older than some of the people I work with!

I have a photo of me holding my nephew as a baby. I've still got that jacket and glasses (they're back in fashion, Alexis Taylor's got some) and he's 25 now. I was also questioned by the bank call centre about my mobile number and was it still correct, turns out I'd had it longer than he'd been alive.

• Upvote 1