No new clothes

Sawdusty surfer

17 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

It's not just fast fashion, it's every store on the high street who want to sell as many clothes possible to create profit - they are just as guilty on pushing consumerism as a fast fashion company, as the hold high amounts of stock which they need to sell..

As someone mentioned above people need to change their habits, you get a lot of talk on being sustainable but there is a disconnect on people actually changing their buying habits as they like shiny new things - it's a vicious circle :( 

The way we measure things needs to change. The way we measure economic success is GDP and we expect it to continually improve. We can't keep taking more from a planet with finite resources and expect there to be no consequences. If we want the planet to be able to continue we need to seriously look at our attitudes to thinks and it is going to take a seismic shift to go back to metal washing machines that last 20 years from plastic ones that last 5-7 tops. It involves companies changing the way they do business, customers changing their shopping needs and governments measuring success differently. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

have a go with something simple like buttons to start ... didn't think I could sew very well but its something that you can learn for sure :) have a go .. if it doesn't work no loss 

I can sew a button on but anything that involved sewing machines I could never get the hang of and I'm not willing to invest in a big piece of equipment without knowing I could use it. I think a lot of it is from being left handed. Teachers always seemed to make instructions so much more complicated once they found out I was left handed and it put me off. Doesn't help that I'm not the most co-ordinated of people anyway. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I can sew a button on but anything that involved sewing machines I could never get the hang of and I'm not willing to invest in a big piece of equipment without knowing I could use it. I think a lot of it is from being left handed. Teachers always seemed to make instructions so much more complicated once they found out I was left handed and it put me off. Doesn't help that I'm not the most co-ordinated of people anyway. 

ah gott ya ... i dont machine sew anything either just use a basic stitch and go over it a few times if im not sure it will hold ... seems to do the job and prolong the life 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

ah gott ya ... i dont machine sew anything either just use a basic stitch and go over it a few times if im not sure it will hold ... seems to do the job and prolong the life 

My best skill at sewing was threading the needle. I used to be able to do that for everyone. I can do basic stitches but I'm not patient enough nor neat enough for it and end up doing too big a stitch to get it over and done with. 

• 3 years later...
47 minutes ago, PiersHunter said:

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right approach and having patience with yourself. And, unfortunately, some teachers can make things even more complicated if they don't fully understand left-handedness. But don't let that hold you back! If you're feeling daring, why not try adding some personality to your wardrobe by making a few tweaks to a new suit? I came across this website, that has some 3-piece suits for men. It could be a fun project to work on, and you never know, you might discover a hidden talent!

I know your something called a bot (I think) but I'm going top talk to you anyway. That is just how serious this is - so be warned! I need to ask you a question - 'Teachers, left-handedness, 3 piece suits - what the fuck are you talking about'? I think I know where you are coming from, but am not sure. Do the words barnacle, druids, frog, and skateboard mean anything to you, in that combination? 

What do you mean your going to tell your mom?

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I know your something called a bot (I think) but I'm going top talk to you anyway. That is just how serious this is - so be warned! I need to ask you a question - 'Teachers, left-handedness, 3 piece suits - what the fuck are you talking about'? I think I know where you are coming from, but am not sure. Do the words barnacle, druids, frog, and skateboard mean anything to you, in that combination? 

What do you mean your going to tell your mom?

How did you reply so fast ? I deleted the post … so people couldn’t click that dodgy link and now it’s in your quote 

Edited by Crazyfool01

31 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

How did you reply so fast ? I deleted the post … so people couldn’t click that dodgy link and now it’s in your quote 

Sorry about that. I hadn't thought of that element / side of things. I was too busy with other brain processes. It's a full time job isn't it  really - this having to be in charge of, what is laughingly referred to, as a brain?

I have now corrected the error.

• Thanks 1