No new clothes

Sawdusty surfer

Usually this (No New Clothes) wouldn't be too hard of a request for me to comply with.

Aside from my work uniform I generally rotate between two pairs of black trousers (one in the wash, one on the go), topped off with an old Glastonbury T-shirt. You could argue that I'm not that fashion concious (Couldn't give a **** tbh. As long as I'm comfortable).

I hardly ever buy new clothes. I hate clothes buying. Too much hassle. Have you tried getting anything that doesn't make you look like an advertisement for some corporation or another these days? (Plain, one colour T-shirts? No. You must pick a brand).

But, the pockets and (eventually) the fly zippers have gone on both my pairs of trousers and I am definitely going to have to replace them within the next fortnight ;). My work uniform is well faded and also needs replacing tbh.

If clothes were better made in the first place (e.g. Thicker material for trouser pockets so keys don't rip them apart, metal fly zippers rather than plastic, etc.) I really wouldn't need to replace them so much (aka The Sam Vimes Boot Theory of Economic Inequality). Really pisses me off this. Trousers still perfectly functionable as leg coverings, but, ultimately fail the "I need to carry things and people don't really want to see my pants" functionability test.

And, as others have stated, they'll still be hawking their own merch. Which I won't be able to resist. I'm a sucker for those exclusive "our band were at Glasto and we made a T-shirt to celebrate" shirts. My "I was at this event" T-shirt collection is bordering on the hoarding :(.

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

If clothes were better made in the first place (e.g. Thicker material for trouser pockets so keys don't rip them apart, metal fly zippers rather than plastic, etc.) I really wouldn't need to replace them so much (aka The Sam Vimes Boot Theory of Economic Inequality). Really pisses me off this. Trousers still perfectly functionable as leg coverings, but, ultimately fail the "I need to carry things and people don't really want to see my pants" functionability test.

no one is stopping you finding a haberdashers to get a new zip stitched in.

Once upon a time - my lifetime - that's what people did.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm pleased to see someone start to push the real message we need to be pushing. 

Consumption is baaaaaad.

What are you not going to buy next?

Consumption is indeed bad.  However the sale of retail pitches at Glastonbury no doubt help fund the existence of the festival as much as the presence of adverts on this website ?

4 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Consumption is indeed bad.  However the sale of retail pitches at Glastonbury no doubt help fund the existence of the festival as much as the presence of adverts on this website ?

I don't think there's anything contradictory with what the festival is doing. 

Clothes will continue to be sold, even after we've wise up to be less-wasteful with our use of clothes.

The problem is with the traders, who think society should help them push their 'buy' message.

Edited by eFestivals

I took the message to be against people buying throw away clothes from places like Primark. Cheap, dubious sourcing, wear once or twice and throw away. I didn't even think about the onsite traders but then I very rarely buy anything from them, the last thing I bought was a coat at a particularly cold festival in 2010, that lasted 8 years of heavy use. So to be fair, I'm not the type of person the message was aimed at. 

Would anyone have this in mind when actually at the festival?

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

no one is stopping you finding a haberdashers to get a new zip stitched in.

Once upon a time - my lifetime - that's what people did.

In anticipation of a reply like this, I nearly added a paragraph to my previous post about fixing things. Thought I'd waffled on enough though.

The last haberdashers in my town shut about a decade ago. A right pisser for lots of stereotype single blokes like me (who only realised it had shut when they needed something fixing). They'd fixed the zipper on my work bag three times. Since then I have learnt to fix zips from Youtube tutorials. I learnt to darn socks and pockets as a babe on my mother's knee. There are only so many times you can darn a pocket or cut another notch in a zip before you have to admit defeat.

Someone obviously noticed a gap in the market as a new haberdashers opened in town a couple of weeks ago. The price list in their window states £14 to replace a zip. I could get a new pair of trousers (with unshredded pockets) for £20.

Good grief. Seriously? I make a post pointing out that I'm already pretty prudent when it comes to clothes buying and then still get called out? My mum was a kid during the war and the "Make Do And Mend" ethos is still strong in our house. My lifetime as well you snarky sod.

I feel quite violated :D /s

Are you going to be wearing another new statement T-shirt at the meet this year, or will you stick with '17s Corbyn?

In my Worthy Warrior application I actually suggested they should have more stalls that rent festival attire and promote it heavily because I have seen so many people buying outfits that you know are not going to be much worn before being discarded. If people knew they could do this easily they could pack less as well which would make it easier for them to carry their own shit home with them. I'm not really bothered by fashion and tend to wear all my clothes to death. If something gets a stain on it, it just becomes dog walking clothes. The other day I was wearing a hoodie that I wear all the time and I worked out it was 11 years old. 

I do think the message could have come out in May when people start buying their outfits rather than 2 weeks before when it seems some have already packed. I also think they should only have traders who are selling ethically sourced clothes or upcycled clothes so that there aren't any mixed messages for the traders who are there. 

To me it’s not just the disposable nature of clothes but what they are made of.  Most of the clothing I have seen for sale on site are made from cotton or other natural fibres.  Will Oxfam be stocking purely natural fibre clothes? 

Clothes made from synthetic materials, or with Lycra added to them not only take longer to rot in landfill but every time you wash them add to the micro plastics getting into the rivers and seas.

luckily my body shape does not suit Lycra so I find it easy to avoid anyway.

I still take 'anything I would be happy to lose' if you know what I mean. So it does make me smile when I hear of youngsters (sorry for massive generalisation, but it does tend to be) going out to buy clothes to wear for the festival. 'Glastonbury wardrobe'. Still wear my old fleece.

22 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I still take 'anything I would be happy to lose' if you know what I mean. So it does make me smile when I hear of youngsters (sorry for massive generalisation, but it does tend to be) going out to buy clothes to wear for the festival. 'Glastonbury wardrobe'. Still wear my old fleece.

Yes I made that point on one of the facebook groups as someone was worried they wouldn't be fashionable enough I said people who do fashion post their new outfits, people like me don't see the point in posting a picture of walking trousers they've had for over a decade and t-shirts that are old or can become decorating clothes if they get ruined. 

My 'Glasto wardrobe' is anything that is comfy, practical and preferably a bit worn out. Basically the same as I'd wear around the house. If an outfit has been comfy at Glasto, it goes the next time provided it's not hanging in holes. Which means if I were a selfie sort of person, which I'm not, it'd be impossible to date my pics from what I'm wearing. Even my ruddy straw-paper cowboy hat (bought on site) is about 6 years old.

However, I'm too old (and poor) to be much of a 'consumer'.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I made that point on one of the facebook groups as someone was worried they wouldn't be fashionable enough I said people who do fashion post their new outfits, people like me don't see the point in posting a picture of walking trousers they've had for over a decade and t-shirts that are old or can become decorating clothes if they get ruined.  

Absolutely this. No one wants to see my 15 year old hiking trousers or faded out Radiohead t-shirt. Or maybe they do...

16 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

Absolutely this. No one wants to see my 15 year old hiking trousers or faded out Radiohead t-shirt. Or maybe they do...

Yes we were getting my husband's clothes ready the other day as he's away all next week with work and concluded that at least 3 of the pairs of trousers he is bringing he wore to his first Glastonbury in 2010 as well and it's not like Glastonbury is the only time we wear walking clothes, we walk dogs in them all year round. 

If this brings attention to the throwaway clothes that are sold cheaply in shops such as matalan, primark etc, the carbon footprint involved in bringing them here and the sweatshop conditions they are produced in then that’s all good.  Hopefully this doesn’t apply to the traders we enjoy at Glastonbury. Wandering around them is part of the fun and the stuff is usually wearable for years to come.

anyway I need a new hat. It took a hammering in the mud of 2016 and in 2017 I slept on top of it. I assure all that this will not be a tall comedy hat that obscures views of the stages for others. It will be practical designed to prevent burning of the scalp.

Pretty sure the message is adressed to people who buy fancy dress costume for glasto and chuck it after Monday.

Anyone buying sequin jackets with macthing shorts and hats with the only intention of wearing it at glasto and never again are what the problem they are trying to adress. Fast fashion and that lot.

Don't think glasto is saying, don't buy a new pair of trousers, if we find a new label/sticker on your clothes, we'll rip your ticket!