2020 headliners

jj200

28 minutes ago, jparx said:

Personally I don't think Taylor is the one they've had long negotiations with. She's either doing it or she isn't. I really don't see her playing hard ball over the fee. If anything the money donated to Greenpeace, Wateraid etc would be a draw for the known philanthropist and leftie. Plus I think Ed headlining has partly inspired her to do it.

KInd of agree with this. Taylor who has notoriously been festival-phobic makes a specific point of referencing festivals in her tour announcement. If Swifty was going to do any festival then doing the best festival in the world which has a global reach many millions beyond those actually in the field makes a load of sense commercially, and Taylor knows an opportunity when she sees one.

Then finally there is the Ed connection (would love to see Everything Has Changed on the Pyramid!) and if her boyfriend is a regular then I am sure he may have gone on about it too. It makes a lot sense for her to do it. That said I don't think Taylor will be announced until the rest of her tour has been on sale and presumably sold out.

With the Mac ruled out and the Macca looking unlikely I think it pushes EJ to the top of the list of most likely 'heritage' act. 

Interesting debate re; Swifty. For me she makes most sense being the one Emily's kids are excited about, but fuck knows, I honestly haven't a clue at the moment. 

Taylor would still easily sell out any other UK shows she had lined up, if she were to play Glastonbury. From a management perspective you might want to get your own sales in first etc but for an artist like Taylor this really isn't a worry. The majority of her gig going fans will not be Glastonbury attendees.

Edited by jyoung

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

She drops hints of songs in her songs for albums years and years down the pipeline. Reputation is full of hints towards lover.

Won't that be achieved by writing references in newer songs to ambiguous things in previous ones rather than having written everything years in advance?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, jparx said:

If anything the money donated to Greenpeace, Wateraid etc would be a draw for the known philanthropist and leftie.

I know we all like to have a lot of fun with the Taylor being a communist stuff, but she is clearly pretty fucking far from being a leftie. And philanthropy is an inherently anti-left concept.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Why are people dismissive of or ignoring Elton John? 

Massive world tour, dates locked in for yonks, last chance ever to do it... Seems the perfect act for a 50th anniversary and a fairly obvious one to me 

I think the enormous amounts of mentions he’s had on this thread show he’s not being ignored...

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Massive world tour, dates locked in for yonks, last chance ever to do it... Seems the perfect act for a 50th anniversary and a fairly obvious one to me 

I think it’s purely because there’s been no actual rumours of him doing it, but as more and more of the actual rumoured acts go down the shitter then he does seem like an obvious, if not quite as spectacular as Mac/McCartney, choice. I’d love him to be one of the headliners - guys got an insane setlist in him.

8 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

It’s not though. He’s finishing touring but has said he’s not finishing performing, so Glastonbury could be something he does in a few years.

@Mezhyp1 I think it’s because Elton has been ready and available for many years. I understand some acts take a long while to play the festival but it’s weird that 2020 seems to be the first year where he could actually be in contention to do it.

The lack of media rumours and links to Glastonbury is just odd as well. I don’t really see him being discussed outside of this forum (perhaps the media obsession with Macca and Fleetwood is to blame for that).

Basically, there’s a high chance that this will be like any other year and he will be ready and available for glasto but not end up on the bill.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Based on nothing at all, I wondered at the time if she'd shaken hands with Emily about headlining next year.

Yet to see any evidence to contradict this theory.

It’s also what Emily did with Adele in 2015!

Edited by Matt42

18 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

So, you’re saying everybody needs to definitely think he’s doing it, despite very little specific info actually pointing towards the fact he is?

I was curious to why some people were excluding him completely from their discussion 

So far there's been a few interesting and reasonable answers, and you talking shite. So we're getting somewhere at least