2020 headliners

jj200

Alright whatever - it’s always me that’s called up on anything I say.

at the majority of festival appearances that the band have done it’s been in the top spot. If you think Glastonbury is going to give them a top pyramid spot then good luck - but I wouldn’t count on it.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Alright whatever - it’s always me that’s called up on anything I say.

at the majority of festival appearances that the band have done it’s been in the top spot. If you think Glastonbury is going to give them a top pyramid spot then good luck - but I wouldn’t count on it.

I don't think anyone was saying for them to headline the pyramid, sub headline and other stage headline were mentioned that was it

5 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I don't think anyone was saying for them to headline the pyramid, sub headline and other stage headline were mentioned that was it

Ugh you’ve missed my point.

They won’t accept slots below pyramid headline or at the least sub headline. I highly doubt they will be in contention for those slots.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ugh you’ve missed my point.

They won’t accept slots below pyramid headline or at the least sub headline. I highly doubt they will be in contention for those slots.

I know Twenty One Pilots are a bit bigger but you can say the same about Tame Impala and their choice of festivals. Some festivals would be valuable to play even if not a headline slot; Glastonbury is one obviously, and maybe other festivals around Europe like Rock Werchter wouldn’t afford them a headline slot. It’s of course a lot less likely than if they weren’t headlining anything but it’s not black and white.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know Twenty One Pilots are a bit bigger but you can say the same about Tame Impala and their choice of festivals. Some festivals would be valuable to play even if not a headline slot; Glastonbury is one obviously, and maybe other festivals around Europe like Rock Werchter wouldn’t afford them a headline slot. It’s of course a lot less likely than if they weren’t headlining anything but it’s not black and white.

I’d refute that because Tame have a bit of the history with the festival. When they played in 2016 Kevin couldn’t shut up about how much he loved it.

21p have no history with the festival and I doubt they see it as something to ‘step down’ for when they just comfortably headlined Reading and Leeds.

5 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Think Stormzy, Arcade Fire etc would have come in way below that level.

What is this strange misconception on arcade fire that seems to come up a lot on these forums. 3 number 1 in the UK (+ a number 2) and have been selling out arenas everytime they’ve toured here since 2010.

And to be fair, whilst there may be some who actually genuinely aren’t that arsed about music at the festival and rarely stray outside of the radio 1 a list and maybe yeah, they couldn’t name many AF tunes, on average glastonbury goers are more interested in music than the general population and anybody with a passing interest should know them.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

Kings of Leon announced for Hurricane Festival a week before this. 

The 1975 too. And Twenty One Pilots (obviously not a Pyramid contender, but thought I'd mention).

Kings of Leon also announced for Southside Festival on 19th June, it does put them firmly in Europe around Glasto time. Although I think they’d be Other headliners at best?

To add to the 21p facts. They won’t have their mass following of fans at Glasto either. There will probably be a few there but will 21p be happy performing to a general audience and its not full of their fans?

How will the 21p cult cope with not being able to buy tickets for Glastonbury if they get announced. 

They’re not going to be at Glastonbury purely because it’s not accessible to most of their fans due to the festival already being sold out other than a small percentage of resales. 

5 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Think Stormzy, Arcade Fire etc would have come in way below that level.

What is this strange misconception on arcade fire that seems to come up a lot on these forums. 3 number 1 albums in the UK (+ a number 2) and have been selling out arenas everytime they’ve toured here since 2010.

And to be fair, whilst there may be some who actually genuinely aren’t that arsed about music at the festival and rarely stray outside of the radio 1 a list and maybe yeah, they couldn’t name many AF tunes, on average glastonbury goers are more interested in music than the general population and anybody with a passing interest should know them.

*edit: did not see matt42 post above - same sentiment

Edited by mattiloy
Edit

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

To add to the 21p facts. They won’t have their mass following of fans at Glasto either. There will probably be a few there but will 21p be happy performing to a general audience and its not full of their fans?

How will the 21p cult cope with not being able to buy tickets for Glastonbury if they get announced. 

They’re not going to be at Glastonbury purely because it’s not accessible to most of their fans due to the festival already being sold out other than a small percentage of resales. 

Been looking but can't find it but I definitely remember seeing a UK interview during the start of the Blurryface era where they said that playing Glastonbury was a big dream of theirs. They've taken lower slots at Radio 1 Big Weekend but that doesn't really count for anything. I'd love to see them there but I do think at this point they'd only take a headline slot, which obviously they wouldn't get

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

What is this strange misconception on arcade fire that seems to come up a lot on these forums. 3 number 1 albums in the UK (+ a number 2) and have been selling out arenas everytime they’ve toured here since 2010.

*edit: did not see matt42 post above - same sentiment

I think they're always in with a shout as they really like the festival and share its sentiments regarding charity. Their last album disappointed a tad though, but I do think they'll headline again within 5 years.