2020 headliners

jj200

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s just that contentious of a debate I guess.

I keep chipping in because it seems the Foals fans refuse to roll over and disregard pure facts as ‘much of a muchess’.

They could sub in 2020 and Biffy could headline the other stage and I still reckon people will be predicting both bands to headline on their next album. 

Biffy and Foals clearly aren’t on the same footing because people aren’t treating Biffy headlining as a serious prospect to spend ages trying to dismiss as they do Foals. The fact that The 1975 are so often held up to Foals and that they’re considered to be filling the same void pretty much means they are interchangeable.

Do you ever stop to ask yourself why you’re arguing against a band you like headlining for the first time, and why the apparent harm to Glastonbury’s prestige affects you so badly as someone who doesn’t actually run the festival? And why you want people to roll over on this argument so badly?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I just think some of you are still living in 2015 with shouts of Foals and Biffy to headline Glasto.

The music market moves fast and it has moved on!!!

I agree about Biffy, although think they'd be a brilliant Other Stage headliner.

I don't understand the Foals comment though, they're arguably just as big now as they've ever been. What's the obsession with not wanting new headliners at Glastonbury? Is it just because it's the 50th anniversary or is this a regular occurrence? 

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Definitely came on with Stormzy as well.

Ah. Thing is, he gets mentioned that much I’m wondering how many times he really appeared last year? I saw him once but I get the impression some saw him repeatedly. Maybe I was just lucky in avoiding him.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The fact that The 1975 are so often held up to Foals and that they’re considered to be filling the same void pretty much means they are interchangeable.

Do you ever stop to ask yourself why you’re arguing against a band you like headlining for the first time, and why the apparent harm to Glastonbury’s prestige affects you so badly as someone who doesn’t actually run the festival? And why you want people to roll over on this argument so badly?

I love that you think it affects me. I’m just engaging in debate which is why we are all here. We all come to the forum for the same reasons - and don’t pretend you’ve never got in a heated discussion here.

I find the whole thing fascinating really. In all honesty outside this forum I never hear foals mentioned at all. If I approached some of the people I was going to the festival with and told them foals were rumoured to headline they’d actually think I was talking rubbish. I just think it’s hilarious how disconnected this forum can be with the outside world and a lot of the clientele which attend the festival. I’m not here to stamp out the foals fans but I find the debate and echo chamber here fascinating where a band playing the O2 next to one playing Olympia is considered ‘much of a muchness’. 

I am just very fascinated with the fact that a bunch of foals and Biffy fans on a forum have come together to convince themselves that there is no difference between Foals and bands like Kasabian or The Killers. It’s something I just don’t see anywhere else - only place I can compare it to is the depths of stan culture.

I guess I just find the whole thing very very entertaining to join in with.

I like to base who can headline on what you think the response would be if you asked a random person in the street do you know who x band are

For example if I asked 10 random people in the street do you know the band foals I think only 3/10 would 

If I asked do you know who the killers are I would expect around 9/10

For me a headliner should achieve 7/10 or more

Furthermore I have not put this into practice at all and I am probably completely wrong

In fairness to Matt42 a lot more pointless stuff has been discussed on this forum with a lot more vigour.

Foals could headline of course, would defo be on the smaller end of the scale tho. More likely they're a back up option of someone else fallls through same as Kasabian apparently were, FATM and (I would guess) Biffy Clyro when they subbed.

2 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

I like to base who can headline on what you think the response would be if you asked a random person in the street do you know who x band are

For example if I asked 10 random people in the street do you know the band foals I think only 3/10 would 

Furthermore I have not put this into practice at all and I am probably completely wrong

I think you should try it :D

3 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Sounds like its time to get the mums out. Bands now require a 70% pass rate on this test.

Question is what counts as recognition? Just recognising the name? Being able to name a song/album from memory? Recognising a song when its played for them?

Edited by Mattymooz

2 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Think Stormzy, Arcade Fire etc would have come in way below that level.

2 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

At this point I could care less who headlines providing I don’t have to stand anywhere near tiresome c**ts talking about venue sizes and chart sales or cracking the same joke about cocaine every 30 seconds during their set.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

you see for posters like me and matt 42 festival predicting is our life. I quit my job to pursue festival predicting full time. if you're a casual you need to log off dude. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Sounds like its time to get the mums out. Bands now require a 70% pass rate on this test.

Question is what counts as recognition? Just recognising the name? Being able to name a song/album from memory? Recognising a song when its played for them?

Very good point. My completely legitimate scientific experiment needs more work I think

To be honest I'd just take recognising the name

Just now, didinowanttohearthat said:

Think Stormzy, Arcade Fire etc would have come in way below that level.

Arcade Fire would fail on that metric but stormzy would deffo deffo pass it.

My dad rarely strays outside of Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Genesis etc and knows who Stormzy is. If i asked him if he knew what grime is he’d probably say no but he knows who stormzy is.

12 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

A couple of years ago I coined the “Office Test” on here in that your average office is home to a fairly broad range of tastes and degrees of interest in music. From folk who go to two/three gigs a week to those who only have Heart FM on for the drive to work.

A headliner should really be known by at least 50% of an average office.