Lizzo

CaledonianGonzo

On 3/10/2022 at 3:56 PM, kalifire said:

Remember when Lizzo played in 2019 and everyone was having kittens over what an inclusive party it was?

Feels a long time ago now.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, Ddiamondd said:

I'm really glad she's not on the line-up. The vibe is like night and day.

Have I missed something?

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have I missed something?

She did some shitty things in the time between now and the Glasto set, like putting a delivery driver on blast on Twitter and expressed her adoration for domestic assault felon Chris Brown backstage at his show. And the plagiarism case too. It just kinda flew in the face of how great a person she seemed to be back in 2019.

It's a bit odd because I'm sure, to most people, those incidents didn't even register and it shouldn't be enough to slide-tackle her run towards the big leagues, but things have certainly gone quiet on the Lizzo hype and her single last year landed with a thud. Maybe it's just because there's no album or massive banger to get excited about.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

https://completemusicupdate.com/article/judge-mainly-sides-with-lizzo-in-ongoing-truth-hurts-copyright-battle/

So it turns out the line “I just took a DNA test, turns out I’m 100% that bitch” was actually written by Yves Rothman.

Two weeks after that article from last April she won the last point of the case too... 

https://www.mindingyourbusinesslitigation.com/2021/05/the-truth-hurts-judge-rules-lizzo-is-100-that-copyright-owner/

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Two weeks after that article from last April she won the last point of the case too... 

https://www.mindingyourbusinesslitigation.com/2021/05/the-truth-hurts-judge-rules-lizzo-is-100-that-copyright-owner/

Apologies, that post must have come across as dumb to most people on the forum. I certainly didn’t mean to discredit Lizzo.

Yves Rothman became a dumb eFests meme for a moment and someone sent me a link to that article saying Yves Rothman wrote that line, which I found funny, so I mate that post.

Obviously 99% of people on the forum wouldn’t get it so it was a very pointless post, to be fair.

Fwiw, Lizzo in 2019 one of the best acts of the weekend. But Yves Tumor (ft. Yves Rothman) in 2022 will probably be better.

5 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Apologies, that post must have come across as dumb to most people on the forum. I certainly didn’t mean to discredit Lizzo.

Yves Rothman became a dumb eFests meme for a moment and someone sent me a link to that article saying Yves Rothman wrote that line, which I found funny, so I mate that post.

Obviously 99% of people on the forum wouldn’t get it so it was a very pointless post, to be fair.

Fwiw, Lizzo in 2019 one of the best acts of the weekend. But Yves Tumor (ft. Yves Rothman) in 2022 will probably be better.

Ha ha, thanks for the comprehensive explanation 😊

For others who mentioned the food delivery debacle, apparently they settled out of court. 

https://radaronline.com/p/lizzo-postmates-driver-lawsuit-stolen-food-tweet-dismissed/

17 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

It's crazy to me how far she's dropped off here. Bunch of people in this thread saying she'll be sub headliner by next album and now I never see her get mentioned.

When she's in the news for new music not "controversies" then people will move back onside, but no doubt the shine has somewhat come off.

I’m sure if she comes back with a banger (or an album full of them) then any bad taste left in peoples mouths from her often stupid behaviour and lacklustre last single will be washed away, but I don’t think she’s gonna shoot straight to the top of lineups like a lot of people suspected. Maybe third down the Pyramid next year, so still good, but not subbing or headlining. Don’t think the longish wait between projects has done her many favours. 

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m sure if she comes back with a banger (or an album full of them) then any bad taste left in peoples mouths from her often stupid behaviour and lacklustre last single will be washed away, but I don’t think she’s gonna shoot straight to the top of lineups like a lot of people suspected. Maybe third down the Pyramid next year, so still good, but not subbing or headlining. Don’t think the longish wait between projects has done her many favours. 

Yeah, if her next album is of a similar quality to the last one, then she'll do fine.

Idk how to describe it but it feels like it’s been ages since we’ve heard anything new or decent from her. I’m actually surprised her last album came out in 2019… feels like longer. All of her music just does nothing for me now. It’s like the hype has worn off.

Edit; so I’ve checked. Aside from Juice all the big singles from the album were released in 2016, 2017, and 2018. So that’s nearly 4/5 years without a new decent single from her.

It’s no surprise she fell off peoples radars so quickly. Her music has been out for a while and she’s not released something acclaimed for a while either. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Idk how to describe it but it feels like it’s been ages since we’ve heard anything new or decent from her. I’m actually surprised her last album came out in 2019… feels like longer. All of her music just does nothing for me now. It’s like the hype has worn off.

Both Juice and Good as Hell were played on the radio and adverts and fucking everywhere that year (and every year since) and have become pretty intolerable because of it. She can still bring it back though, although Rumors was a pretty bad false start so I’m hoping that gets left as a loosie and she’s done a course correction for the rest of the album. 

Part of her popularity is people liking her and so I'm pretty certain once she can get back to performing and doing chat shows/press she can get back on people's radars.

The last single wasn't great but it did decently and I'm sure she can pick up where she left off once she gets back doing worldwide stuff.

Edited by jannybruck

I know the simple answer is the single wasn’t that good - but her label threw the kitchen sink at it - Cardi B feature, huge radio play, all that’s needed to give a single the biggest boost… and it fell with a thud.

Usually isn’t a good sign if a huge marketing campaign doesn’t get an already popular artist a big hit. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I know the simple answer is the single wasn’t that good - but her label threw the kitchen sink at it - Cardi B feature, huge radio play, all that’s needed to give a single the biggest boost… and it fell with a thud.

Usually isn’t a good sign if a huge marketing campaign doesn’t get an already popular artist a big hit. 

You nailed it with the first bit. Song was just a bit shit and had no real hook. A marketing team can only do so much (and it made top 5 in the US so clearly they did something) but a meh song is a meh song so no surprise it dropped off and was forgotten about not long after.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

You nailed it with the first bit. Song was just a bit shit and had no real hook. A marketing team can only do so much (and it made top 5 in the US so clearly they did something) but a meh song is a meh song so no surprise it dropped off and was forgotten about not long after.

I think Lizzo is someone to file under “would have been a completely different situation if the pandemic never happened”.

If she released an album in 2021 that did well I honestly think we’d have been talking about her as a future headliner. In 2020 she was being lined up to headline various festivals over the world before the plug was pulled. It wouldn’t have been her first big fest to headline if she did it.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Lizzo is someone to file under “would have been a completely different situation if the pandemic never happened”.

If she released an album in 2021 that did well I honestly think we’d have been talking about her as a future headliner. In 2020 she was being lined up to headline various festivals over the world before the plug was pulled. It wouldn’t have been her first big fest to headline if she did it.

Yeah I agree with you. While the stuff linked above is unpleasant and does put me off a bit, I don't think any of it will be that well known or have a huge impact on her popularity. Juice, Good As Hell and Truth Hurts were everywhere in 2019 and as you say, if she struck while the moment was right and released new material in 2020/2021 I think it would have been massive. Last year's single was a bit rubbish but if her momentum hadn't completely stopped I'm sure it would have done fine, albeit nowhere near as ubiquitous as something like Good As Hell. 

I think she'll play about third down on the Pyramid next year. Not quite as high as I would have predicted before the pandemic but still a big slot and she'd no doubt draw a massive crowd. Put her on after the legend and she'd go down great. 

• 4 weeks later...