Lizzo

CaledonianGonzo

Brixton on Weds was INCREDIBLE!

Such a fantastic show, performer, crowd, night! I had the time of my life and was upset as soon as it was over because I wanted to do it all over again! 

Hope everyone who catches the rest of her tour has a blast!

Fingers crossed she's at Glasto in 2020 as I would see her again in a heartbeat! :wub:

I'm totally out of the loop with Lizzo. Was elsewhere during her Glastonbury set and haven't listened to anything she's done. But her fanbase is practically evangelical, so I should really catch up.

Is it best starting with her most recent release? Or go back to the earlier stuff?

32 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'm totally out of the loop with Lizzo. Was elsewhere during her Glastonbury set and haven't listened to anything she's done. But her fanbase is practically evangelical, so I should really catch up.

Is it best starting with her most recent release? Or go back to the earlier stuff?

shhhhh ... whisper it, but ....

Her musical output is pretty gash, certainly not anything amazing.

It's all about Lizzo.

</runs>

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's all about Lizzo.

</runs>

Will also throw my love spuds on the barbecue here; agree with this. Juice was fine but I thought the level of hype was a bit bizarre. Undoubtedly her live show, which is seems is genuinely impressive, is making a big difference but on record I haven't heard anything that's particularly excited me. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Most of her West Holts set is on Youtube. It's split into a different video for each song but you can still watch the videos back to back to get a pretty decent idea of what her set was like. 

Probably the best place to start :) 

I reckon they could afford her, she just played to less than £5,000 people at Brixton when she could have gone somewhere and had a far bigger crowd.

I reckon the question is would she want to?  She's been pretty much non- stop touring all year!

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

It's worth a listening to Cuz I love you (most recent album) as this would give a flavour of the songs she plays live, but I'd also recommend the Big Grrrl Small World album. She is incredible live and her stage presence and general nature is what the show is all about but there is also no denying that her voice in phenomenal! 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

It's all about Lizzo.

</runs>

Think that's harsh, it's nothing ground-breaking for sure but she's got a varied arsenal of absolute bangers and a fantastic voice. Agreed she elevates herself by being who she is but in fairness she's smashed it out of the park the 2 times I've seen her. She's not reinventing the wheel but she's clearly hugely talented and what's wrong with authentic, upbeat, catchy pop? Especially when she does it so well live.

She went up against Janet Jackson (ridiculous clash) and Foals yet still managed to pack out West Holts. If she's not a potential female Pyramid headliner then fuck it, just get Lonsdale to book the festival. 

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

She's not reinventing the wheel but she's clearly hugely talented and what's wrong with authentic, upbeat, catchy pop? Especially when she does it so well live.

I'm not knocking her output. It has its place.

I'm simply saying that people aren't raving about her because of her output, but because Lizzo is Lizzo, and that right now is carrying its own aura (for reasons nothing to do with Lizzo directly. Society/cultural stuff).

If you like, she's a right-time right-place act.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not knocking her output. It has its place.

I'm simply saying that people aren't raving about her because of her output, but because Lizzo is Lizzo, and that right now is carrying its own aura (for reasons nothing to do with Lizzo directly. Society/cultural stuff).

If you like, she's a right-time right-place act.

I get culturally she's an important figure in the movement to change opinions on a variety of matters, but I think her live performances show she's more than just a right time, right place act. Don't think she'd be getting the rave reviews that she has from many on here and in the press if she didn't have the talent to back it up. Everything about her is so genuine and organic, it's refreshing, I just really hope her trajectory continues and she can smash that glass ceiling.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't disagree, and I think that's a massive massive part of her appeal.

And "genuine and organic" isn't about music, is it? Which is what I was getting at.

I first got into Lizzo after "Good as Hell" was used as a lip sync song on drag race, she was there but not performing it so the music was what got me into her. 

24 minutes ago, Seds said:

I first got into Lizzo after "Good as Hell" was used as a lip sync song on drag race, she was there but not performing it so the music was what got me into her. 

Yep, I heard Good As Hell on 6Music, probably about a year ago, and it put a fat grin on my face before I knew what a Lizzo was.

What she lacks in back catalogue and having a band, both of which will come, she more than makes up for in charisma and inclusivity. I saw her at Glastonbury and again last night in Manchester and both occasions were astonishing. 

The crowd was a mix of all ages and everyone was into it from the moment the lights went down.  Every lyric was sung back to her, often drowning out even her enormous voice.  Part way through the first song she stopped and received the kind of adoration that most bands never get, and that even the very best have to work an hour for.  I've been going to gigs for a very long time now and it's a rare event that come close to her gigs at the moment.

I agree she's the right person for the times and she's absolutely making the most of it.  She's great fun.

22 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I saw her at Glastonbury and again last night in Manchester and both occasions were astonishing. 

i saw her at Glastonbury and i thought that was astonishing too.

But I'm not kidding myself that it's because she's some sort of musical genius. Sure, it might be catchy pop, but there's stage after stage of similar quality at Glastonbury not getting close to the same response.

It's not really about the music.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i saw her at Glastonbury and i thought that was astonishing too.

But I'm not kidding myself that it's because she's some sort of musical genius. Sure, it might be catchy pop, but there's stage after stage of similar quality at Glastonbury not getting close to the same response.

It's not really about the music.

Yeah I tend to agree, though I'm not sure that it matters all that much. There was, last night as there was Glastonbury, thousands of people having a great time.  

She's also in that moment where future success is assured but she's still in relatively small venues.  She's the next big thing and everyone knows it. When she's been very famous for a few years, that atmosphere will change. 

I'm sure next time she tours the UK it'll be in arenas. 

Fair play to her though, she kept a huge grin on my face for an hour and a half!

24 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah I tend to agree, though I'm not sure that it matters all that much. There was, last night as there was Glastonbury, thousands of people having a great time.  

She's also in that moment where future success is assured but she's still in relatively small venues.  She's the next big thing and everyone knows it. When she's been very famous for a few years, that atmosphere will change. 

I'm sure next time she tours the UK it'll be in arenas. 

Fair play to her though, she kept a huge grin on my face for an hour and a half!

Still think it's a bit early for that.