I'm cutting down on the amount of shit I take to the festival

Splonk

5 minutes ago, timbrass said:

Presumably the absolute minimum is just your ticket and a bank card.  Has anyone ever tried this?   First step would be to go round to Oxfam and get some clothes....

I know a bloke who turned up on site with £10, no ticket but an amazing card trick.  

When I next saw him 5 days later he still had that tenner and card trick and claimed he’d blagged the finest drink, drugs, meals and sofas on the back of that card trick.

I’m pretty keen on close up magic and it was indeed the VERY best close up magic I have EVER seen. 

I bought him a drink TWICE coz I thought he deserved it. 

Edited by ian the worm
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I know a bloke who turned up on site with £10, no ticket but an amazing card trick.  

When I next saw him 5 days later he still had that tenner and card trick and claimed he’d blagged the finest drink, drugs, meals and sofas on the back of that card trick.

I’m pretty keen on close up magic and it was indeed the VERY best close up magic I have EVER seen. 

I bought him a drink TWICE coz I thought he deserved it. 

I'm intrigued. What was the card trick - or is that a little impossible to explain in the written form?

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm intrigued. What was the card trick - or is that a little impossible to explain in the written form?

Full pack of cards. Pick a card, look at it, put it back into the pack anywhere. Cards are mixed. Said card is produced from the pack.

Whenever someone knew how it was done he did the same trick with an alternate method.  He had around 5 methods on rotation.

I used to do this exact set of tricks decades ago so actually knew all his methods, but it was the way he was unable to stand but still correctly do the trick was most the amazing part.  

55 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Full pack of cards. Pick a card, look at it, put it back into the pack anywhere. Cards are mixed. Said card is produced from the pack.

Whenever someone knew how it was done he did the same trick with an alternate method.  He had around 5 methods on rotation.

I used to do this exact set of tricks decades ago so actually knew all his methods, but it was the way he was unable to stand but still correctly do the trick was most the amazing part.  

Thanks for the info ian.

I'm going to hazard a guess at tapered cards?

On 2/23/2019 at 7:16 PM, timbrass said:

Presumably the absolute minimum is just your ticket and a bank card.  Has anyone ever tried this?   First step would be to go round to Oxfam and get some clothes....

I think I'd pass on Oxfam underwear but the idea of arriving with the absolute bare essentials is so very tempting.  If my financial situation improves enough by June, I may just give it a go

On 2/23/2019 at 3:10 PM, Charm said:

Sorry to hear this B, can help on t day if you need it. 

Charm x 

I'd be very grateful if you or others would be so kind as to help me get a ticket in April. Da Iawn Diolch.

BamberX.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 9:03 AM, The Nal said:

I'm always astonished by the amount of shit people bring with them. 

Every year, hundreds of these guys.

358B9E8100000578-3653879-image-a-202_146

All that for 4/5 days?

In fairness to these guys, when I first went ten years back me and my mate took a lot like this for all our group as we were in the car (that isn’t us though).

what winds me up is the ones who buy a £9.99 trolley and it’s chucked at the side before they’ve even got through the gate.

That said, as I’ve got older (and lazier) I now refuse to do multiple car runs. The campsite to car park and back journey was a good 1.5-2 mile, so banging 3-4 miles on hardly any sleep wasn’t the ideal way of starting the fest.

So nowadays I take a couple of decanted spirits and just buy drinks and food there. I’m still using the same tent as my first festival in 2004 (it’s been around the world). I’ve been trying to get my clothes down to a small rucksack but never managed it. I tend to wear one or two pairs of jean shorts for the entire fest.

6 minutes ago, richardwilson84 said:

In fairness to these guys, when I first went ten years back me and my mate took a lot like this for all our group as we were in the car (that isn’t us though).

what winds me up is the ones who buy a £9.99 trolley and it’s chucked at the side before they’ve even got through the gate.

That said, as I’ve got older (and lazier) I now refuse to do multiple car runs. The campsite to car park and back journey was a good 1.5-2 mile, so banging 3-4 miles on hardly any sleep wasn’t the ideal way of starting the fest.

So nowadays I take a couple of decanted spirits and just buy drinks and food there. I’m still using the same tent as my first festival in 2004 (it’s been around the world). I’ve been trying to get my clothes down to a small rucksack but never managed it. I tend to wear one or two pairs of jean shorts for the entire fest.

Pretty much my packing. I got through last year with everything in a single rucksack, only bothered with plenty of rum and some ginger beer as that can be a bugger to get onsite. Generally happy to limit booze intake during the day and save it for the evenings, but i previously when I've taken ciders I just do a second rucksack and wear it on the front.

Barring any unexpected issues the same pair of cargo shorts gets me through the weekend, so it's t shirts and undercrackers.

Upgraded to an army surplus Bergen with side pouches since then, so u can pretty much fit a house in there now. Never bothered with a trolley.

Biggest mistake my first year was taking a bag of shitty firewood. Carrying that cut my fingers to bits.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 8:45 PM, mb23 said:

The idea of going with just a ticket, bank card and tent is appealing. I'd also need to bring medication as well as underwear for each day, but it's a very interesting one.

One festival I turned up with a rucksack full of cider, my Arctic parka and 2 grams of mandy.  No tent or sleeping bag or money. I had quite a good time 

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

First Glasto and going on the coach, there is just the two of us. This thread seems appropriate to ask how much I can take on the coach - between the 2 of us we’d usually take 2 rucksacks (for clothes, food & crates), 2 camping chairs, tent, 2 sleeping bags, blow up mattress and a fishing trolley to wheel everything to our camping spot. Should this be okay?

53 minutes ago, foolee said:

First Glasto and going on the coach, there is just the two of us. This thread seems appropriate to ask how much I can take on the coach - between the 2 of us we’d usually take 2 rucksacks (for clothes, food & crates), 2 camping chairs, tent, 2 sleeping bags, blow up mattress and a fishing trolley to wheel everything to our camping spot. Should this be okay?

That's about what we take on the coach bar the trolley. Worth checking the regulations as they've tried to deter people from taking trolleys before for space reasons. Not sure what the current stance is. Do you definitely need the trolley? We usually manage to carry all that, albeit we don't camp too far from the gate compared to some (Bushy).

Mind you we don't take crates! Of beer I presume? Do they fit in the rucksack?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

11 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's about what we take on the coach bar the trolley. Worth checking the regulations as they've tried to deter people from taking trolleys before for space reasons. Not sure what the current stance is. Do you definitely need the trolley? We usually manage to carry all that, albeit we don't camp too far from the gate compared to some (Bushy).

Mind you we don't take crates! Of beer I presume? Do they fit in the rucksack?

Fair enough, the trolley just helps but we could probably do it without. Crates of beer and spirits usually, to be fair the rucksacks are fairly big - like travel size. Thank you for your help by the way!

Edited by foolee

On 2/23/2019 at 7:16 PM, timbrass said:

Not quite but 2010 I had an Fixed term ISA mature on the Tuesday. I arrived with my ticket, bank card and a few bits of clothing.

Probably my favourite year. Some sun induced illness on the Sunday but Orbital sorted that right out. Don’t think I’ll ever do it again though, spend at least a grand over the weekend!

7 minutes ago, flyingmonkeypigs said:

Not quite but 2010 I had an Fixed term ISA mature on the Tuesday. I arrived with my ticket, bank card and a few bits of clothing.

Probably my favourite year. Some sun induced illness on the Sunday but Orbital sorted that right out. Don’t think I’ll ever do it again though, spend at least a grand over the weekend!

Money well spent I reckon ?

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, timbrass said:

A couple of times, once when I moved in Wells and went home on a night or two and another time when I was fortunate enough to be able to use one of the tickets from a villager, parked in one of the Pilton car parks and just went back to sleep in the car at night. 

There were certainly folks in the first year or two I went who had neither bank card or ticket, just the set of clothes they were wearing - presumably not kip, sleep under the stars or sleep in the cinema tent during the day (which several did then) 

How much money do you guys think it would take, to show up just with cash/card, phone and clothes? I know it could go up to  the thousands of pesos, but what do you think would be a reasonable minimum? How much do you spend on average and how much do you save by taking stuff from home?

5 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

How much money do you guys think it would take, to show up just with cash/card, phone and clothes? I know it could go up to  the thousands of pesos, but what do you think would be a reasonable minimum? How much do you spend on average and how much do you save by taking stuff from home?

It actually always surprises me when people say they would spend thousands. I only take a bit of booze and buy all my food there and at most spend about £200 to £300 for the weekend, which I still think is loads. I suppose you could another couple of hundred for other substances but where does the rest come from? 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

For me Co-op being there is massive game changer. I went from going back to nearest town for booze on Wednesday to asking my mates that’ll be in CV field to take some for me to actually stop caring about it at all, cause I can do my booze purchase there. 

Fairly confident I can fit all my stuff in single 65L rucksack now!