I'm cutting down on the amount of shit I take to the festival

Splonk

On 2/14/2019 at 11:55 AM, Username taken said:

Cue people nicking tents to walkout the gate with :rofl:

On this note, as sad as it is to see so much perfectly good stuff left behind on Monday, I do have some lovely camping chairs and a picnic blanket that have been through a few festivals since I adopted them. 

21 hours ago, incident said:

Think you've missed his underlying point there slightly - in that potentially some people will just fill up a bag with whatever they can grab to hand - including other peoples gear - in order to claim the deposit because it's easier than cleaning up properly.

While I'm as vocal as anyone about the amount of shit that gets left behind, and gets dropped on the land during the festival, I don't think a litter bond is the way to go about tackling it. In particular it penalises exactly the wrong people - those who don't generate the waste to start with clean up after themselves as they go - I'd not be able to fill even 5% of a black bin bag with my own stuff.

My best suggestion - Shambala has people (technically, stewards out of uniform) roaming the campsites, offering rewards for campsites that are well kept. Glastonbury could do something similar - set aside 5,000 pre-sale tickets for the following festival. Give the campsite crews 5,000 business cards each with a (unique) pre-sale code on it and have them wander around on Sunday and Monday as people are packing up, distributing the cards as they best see fit. It'd cost the festival hardly anything to implement, and with the incentive of a guaranteed ticket the following year and pretty good odds of getting one, it might encourage people to aim for it.

Hands up here who wouldn’t offer said crew member £100 cash for a code....

Edited by DeanoL

That is a great idea about giving codes out to campers that behave correctly and take their gear home. Only issue is that it could get abused like someone already said with people paying with cash for a code. Although volunteers in teams of 4/5 going to each field together that may cut that out. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So my t-shirts that I designed for the festival have arrived .... thanks to @Gnomicidefor the images .... is anyone else pledging to do anything specific ? like putting 5 peices of litter in a bin per act ? or happy to make some love the farm pledges on here ?

IMG_3049.jpeg

But theres lots of trace in that 2nd pic. I'm confused. Are you suggesting we dump all of our stuff in the Pyramid Field?

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

But theres lots of trace in that 2nd pic. I'm confused. Are you suggesting we dump all of our stuff in the Pyramid Field?

it was meant to be an example of the shit thats left before the fairys  arrive and clear it up whilst most are sound asleep ... no im definitely not but maybe a clean field would have worked better, but im happy with it  

Edited by crazyfool1

13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

So my t-shirts that I designed for the festival have arrived .... thanks to @Gnomicidefor the images .... is anyone else pledging to do anything specific ? like putting 5 peices of litter in a bin per act ? or happy to make some love the farm pledges on here ?

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

Let's raise awareness about cutting down on the environmental impact of the festival by ordering a load of unecessary t-shirts. Yes - makes loads of sense.

Edited by Splonk
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Splonk said:

Let's raise awareness about cutting down on the environmental impact of the festival by ordering a load of unecessary t-shirts. Yes - makes loads of sense.

To be fair, we don't know if crazyfool1 is in need of t shirts for his wardrobe, and may wear the afore mentioned t shirts until they are threadbare.

• Upvote 1

Interesting thread. I always enjoy these kind of logistical discussions!

I definitely think I take less than I used to but I have always come in via shuttle bus/coach so that does limit you. Probably take more clothes and crap than I need but obviously that all comes back. I used to bring loads of cans to save money (which was more of a concern back then tbf) but it ended up just being a nightmare to carry them. After a horrific incident with a wheelbarrow in 2009 and then having tons of leftover cans in 2010 as was just too warm to drink them (gave tons away) I now stick to spirits. A litre or so of rum means we buy pints at the bar and mixers in the evening. I'm also a fan of ginger beer and was going to suggest the curry bus too @H.M.V and @Mardy - there are also a few places round Greenfields that do it. We'd tend to just pick up a can whenever we see it and save for later. Oh and that ice cold lemonade from round there went down an absolute treat with a generous splash of rum in 2017's heat! I might bring a can or two of G and T for initial camp set up but that's it. 

Foodwise I only ever bring crisps and see buying food at the stalls as a big part of the experience but again I am lucky to be able to afford to. When I went to Reading as a young un I brought a back breaking amount of cans and lived off cold baked beans and crisp sandwiches! Probably better than the food on offer there in those days mind...

I think I'm quite a big drinker but it does stagger me how much people say they would spend at the bars. 10 pints is £50 - there is no way I would drink that every day! But then I don't tend to start drinking until mid afternoon. Never been one of those "I'm awake, pass the can" types. Makes me shudder! Give me coffee and food first please.

Another thing I would say is that I have been to other festivals where the site is left a lot cleaner (Green Man, Blue Dot, Supernormal) - all much smaller and all have some kind of reusable cup scheme so that would have a lot to do with it. But people just seemed to clean up after themselves better at these places. We were sat at Green Man one day and saw a load of litter pickers sat about with nothing to do as their area they were working in was spotless!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Another thing I would say is that I have been to other festivals where the site is left a lot cleaner (Green Man, Blue Dot, Supernormal) - all much smaller and all have some kind of reusable cup scheme so that would have a lot to do with it. But people just seemed to clean up after themselves better at these places. We were sat at Green Man one day and saw a load of litter pickers sat about with nothing to do as their area they were working in was spotless!

End of the Road is like that to. Aside from the tent imprints left on the grass you wouldn't know anyone had been in the field. 

10 hours ago, Splonk said:

why are they  unnecessary ? im confused I will be wearing my t-shirt instead of buying a mass produced one at one of the merchandise stands .. it will get use throughout the year and won't just be chucked it a black bag at the end of the festival .... and if makes the odd person pack up their shit at the end when I will be tidying the surrounding campsites so much the better ... 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

....having tons of leftover cans in 2010 as was just too warm to drink them (gave tons away).

Oof, forgot about that. I took a load of Guinness, undrinkable by early afternoon. 

6 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Never been one of those "I'm awake, pass the can" types.

Morning!