I'm cutting down on the amount of shit I take to the festival

Splonk

1 minute ago, Laurenkfj said:

Those sorts of people will leave it behind regardless though. That certainly hasn't been the attitude of other festivals with litter bonds, I've only ever seen a constant queue at the bin areas.

True, but I can just see thousands of people, tired, bleary and hungover on Monday morning looking at their stuff and thinking "fuck it, it's only a tenner".

There's also the logistical nightmare of finding 130,000 £10 notes from somewhere and distributing them.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, but I can just see thousands of people, tired, bleary and hungover on Monday morning looking at their stuff and thinking "fuck it, it's only a tenner".

There's also the logistical nightmare of finding 130,000 £10 notes from somewhere and distributing them.

Open the whole festival though, so doesn't need to be the Monday. A tenner in a big camping group can sum up into the hundreds, which is harder to justify leaving behind.

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

I find the best answer to this is don't leave anything in your tent. 

don;t come back to go asleep until people are getting up and starting their day 

Well, we never leave anything valuable when we're not in there.   And we got back to the tent at about 5-6am so this activity isn't just confined to the darkness, unfortunately.

Lockups are the answer!

I sent a suggestion to the festival a few years ago that they could have people stood outside the festival on Sunday night/Monday morning handing out tickets to anyone carrying a tent.

They'd then be entered into a draw that would either get them free tickets for the next festival or at least guarantee them the opportunity to buy up to 6 tickets.

I got a response saying they'd send it on but I never heard anything further back.

I'm not sure it would actually help but it could encourage a few more to take their tent home. 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I sent a suggestion to the festival a few years ago that they could have people stood outside the festival on Sunday night/Monday morning handing out tickets to anyone carrying a tent.

They'd then be entered into a draw that would either get them free tickets for the next festival or at least guarantee them the opportunity to buy up to 6 tickets.

I got a response saying they'd send it on but I never heard anything further back.

I'm not sure it would actually help but it could encourage a few more to take their tent home. 

Cue people nicking tents to walkout the gate with :rofl:

23 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

its re

absolutely .... its really quite easy to influence people who camp near you .... just start it off early and at the end start edging into there areas with bin bags and offer them out ... it guilt trips people into cleaning up and the more people doing it the more follow .... the sheep effect ... just look at the cyclists camping if they can do it everyone can !! see photo on page113 of camping essentials thread 

It's a good idea, that.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Regarding needing a load of £10 notes, most festivals have an individual barcode on wristbands now don’t they? With a little bit of admin you could have it sent to your account automatically when you take a bag back? 

My idea was adding a “tent deposit” you need to bring a tent in with you, which you scan on the way in, and out if you still have your tent. Money gets automatically returned. Would obviously need to be an add on rather than forcing everyone to do it for those sharing. 

There seems to be a right of passage:

Early Glasto: "yay glasto! got my tent and sleeping bag, all sorted"

Mid Glasto: "now I know what it's like getting in, I'm going to take 63 cases of beer so I don't have to queue up and pay their prices"

Later Glasto: "my back hurts, I'm happy to pay or possibly not even drink"

On 2/12/2019 at 12:30 AM, Splonk said:

Many moons ago, during the breaks on the main stages, everyone was encouraged to take a minute to pick up any litter lying around them - and most people actually joined in.

It feels like we need a little bit of that spirit back.

Meredith Festival in Australia has an organised thing every day on the stage where everyone around is encouraged to tidy up. Not going to be much use if you're on the barrier, but if you resolved to take the shit you drop away at the end of the set then that's a start.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, Laurenkfj said:

Open the whole festival though, so doesn't need to be the Monday. A tenner in a big camping group can sum up into the hundreds, which is harder to justify leaving behind.

Could that not be open to abuse. People can take a bag full of rubbish and get a £10. That bag may not just be rubbish. 50 bags of peoples stuff is a tidy amount to spend while there.

34 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Could that not be open to abuse. People can take a bag full of rubbish and get a £10. That bag may not just be rubbish. 50 bags of peoples stuff is a tidy amount to spend while there.

You get a litter bond with your ticket - another bit of paper basically. Bag of rubbish plus bit of paper = £10 back. So you only get £10 back per ticket. 

I don't want to be "that guy" but for all of those people discussing ideas about litter picking, doesn't the litter get picked up by the cleaning teams anyway? (I'm not saying that makes it acceptable or in any way excuses people), but isn't the real problem to produce less litter in terms of the environment? (maybe I've missed the point of this thread though). Regardless of who picks it up, it ends in the same landfill.

Just now, Laurenkfj said:

You get a litter bond with your ticket - another bit of paper basically. Bag of rubbish plus bit of paper = £10 back. So you only get £10 back per ticket. 

Think you've missed his underlying point there slightly - in that potentially some people will just fill up a bag with whatever they can grab to hand - including other peoples gear - in order to claim the deposit because it's easier than cleaning up properly.

While I'm as vocal as anyone about the amount of shit that gets left behind, and gets dropped on the land during the festival, I don't think a litter bond is the way to go about tackling it. In particular it penalises exactly the wrong people - those who don't generate the waste to start with clean up after themselves as they go - I'd not be able to fill even 5% of a black bin bag with my own stuff.

My best suggestion - Shambala has people (technically, stewards out of uniform) roaming the campsites, offering rewards for campsites that are well kept. Glastonbury could do something similar - set aside 5,000 pre-sale tickets for the following festival. Give the campsite crews 5,000 business cards each with a (unique) pre-sale code on it and have them wander around on Sunday and Monday as people are packing up, distributing the cards as they best see fit. It'd cost the festival hardly anything to implement, and with the incentive of a guaranteed ticket the following year and pretty good odds of getting one, it might encourage people to aim for it.

36 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

I don't want to be "that guy" but for all of those people discussing ideas about litter picking, doesn't the litter get picked up by the cleaning teams anyway? (I'm not saying that makes it acceptable or in any way excuses people), but isn't the real problem to produce less litter in terms of the environment? (maybe I've missed the point of this thread though). Regardless of who picks it up, it ends in the same landfill.

The litter in public areas is- camp sites don't, it's nearly impossible to litter pick them during the festival so has to be done after. But yes, reducing landfill is hugely important to the festival. Recyclables, particularly aluminium, can actually make the festival money as have as they have a monetary value to 'sell back'.