Foals

RarerThanDandyB

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Another setlist they’ve posted. I’d take bit of both tbh, although the first one remains superior due to that TLF run:

C09D5F7F-E59F-4476-9BEE-C19E7184D5A3.jpeg

I'll take A for my Olympia night please! Slip in Exits and The Runner somewhere and that list would be tailor made for me to cover Part 1 tour I chose not to go to as waiting for Part 2 and holding on to the tickets for 2 years while accepting they have a new album out (singles so far are great so no complaints) and not being able to hear them properly at All Points East. It's one less clash concern for Glasto if they tear it up (one way or the other depending if I need another fix!).

List A opening 3 will set anywhere on fire! Wow!

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Doubt that’ll ever happen as long as they’re playing live. I wouldn’t be bothered seeing it dropped, but y’know, festival anthem and all that. 

Yeah realise it's a mainstay, but would much prefer something heavier from ENSWBL Part 1 or 2. 

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

I like Foals a lot. That Putamid set was crap. So I shouldn't lose hope? 

It’s weird. On paper I thought Foals were a perfect sub for somebody like Muse, but it just seemed to fall flat on the night, and certainly not helped by the fact they were touring a bit of a crap album at the time and then the sound cut off for a lot of their last song. Definitely not an indicator of what they’re usually like because they’re a great live band, and their Other headline set will surely be a good’un. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s weird. On paper I thought Foals were a perfect sub for somebody like Muse, but it just seemed to fall flat on the night, and certainly not helped by the fact they were touring a bit of a crap album at the time and then the sound cut off for a lot of their last song. Definitely not an indicator of what they’re usually like because they’re a great live band, and their Other headline set will surely be a good’un. 

Hope so. Listened to Billie Eilish and FOALS on my last two long runs and am genuinely torn. I think Glasto have got the Pyramid headliners on the wrong days. Kendrick for the Friday energy and Billie for the more chilled Sunday vibe... As I'll hopefully be full o beans on the Friday, FOALS are likely gonna win out. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I enjoyed that gig even the sound mess up at the end did let the air out of it a bit, but it was my first glasto and I pretty much enjoyed everything.

If they are other stage headliner friday night I could easily be there since its Billie on the pyramid I think? 

17 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I enjoyed that gig even the sound mess up at the end did let the air out of it a bit, but it was my first glasto and I pretty much enjoyed everything.

If they are other stage headliner friday night I could easily be there since its Billie on the pyramid I think? 

Yes, that is correct. Also, at the Other you tend to get people who are there specifically see the band, which isn't always the case at the Pyramid (bar the headliner slot).

4 hours ago, Superscally said:

I like Foals a lot. That Pyramid set was crap. So I shouldn't lose hope? 

Huh. I watched it on TV at home and thought they were good. Even if there was something odd with the sound on all Glasto 2016 sets where there was some kind of high pitch scraping noise frequently interfering on recordings, plus as noted, the sound cutting out during 2 Steps at the end.

The ENSWBL shows I saw in 2019 were better than the Wembley Arena date on the What Went Down tour that I caught in early 2016 though, I will say that.

I've got an irritation as I have tickets to the Brixton show but a commitment may lead to me missing out and I won't know until the week before if the two things can be reconciled. Which... boo.

4 hours ago, ljb1995 said:

I saw Foals at Cardiff Castle and All Points East last summer and both were class.

The other stage headline set is going to be electric 

Great at Boardmasters too last year, their live show reputation is up there with the very best I have always thought - or in recent years at least.

22 hours ago, Homer said:

Yes, that is correct. Also, at the Other you tend to get people who are there specifically see the band, which isn't always the case at the Pyramid (bar the headliner slot).

This is true. I'm hoping for LCD Soundsystem 2016 type vibes but that might be asking a bit much.

4 minutes ago, leej7 said:

Somewhat of a vanilla setlist for the opening night last night, shame...

They’ve reached the point now where they’ve got so much material and so many mainstays from each album that vanilla is pretty much all you’re gonna get from them setlist-wise, and stuff like Black Gold, Providence and Birch Tree - some non-singles - are about as big of surprises as you’re gonna get (and, I fear, we won’t be getting at Glastonbury).

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They’ve reached the point now where they’ve got so much material and so many mainstays from each album that vanilla is pretty much all you’re gonna get from them setlist-wise, and stuff like Black Gold, Providence and Birch Tree - some non-singles - are about as big of surprises as you’re gonna get (and, I fear, we won’t be getting at Glastonbury).

Agreed - have tickets for the London Olympia show, feel that'll be the only point I'll see them this cycle. Something else at G could easily pull me away on that Friday night.

Yeah totally agree - though I think the setlist does have some surprises like others have said (late night, prov, birch tree, new tracks) - what I'll say though is that they seem to be stuck touring at interesting times...

I know this got pushed back from 2020 and was supposed to be the enswbl 1/2 tour, of sorts, and now they are on the road pre new album which means you can't base it around one album, or even the new album, as its either too late or too early - as artists tend to do - means you end up with these monster lists of just let's try play a bit of everything from.... (Which I'm not complaining about, just find interesting, if I'm even making sense)

If they toured this new record in the autumn you wouldn't grudge a setlist mainly of new record with songs from their back catalogue that fit the vibe (a la 'In Degrees), then you have a couple other bangers and it feels more cohesive?

• Upvote 1

I'm currently listening to all the artists announced for Glastonbury and I've reached F. I've not listened to a Foals song before in my life - which album should I listen to? Bear in mind, I'm trying to get through the whole lineup (I know it's probs not possible but I try every glasto) so I will only be listening to one album. Any help is appreciated 🙂 

11 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I'm currently listening to all the artists announced for Glastonbury and I've reached F. I've not listened to a Foals song before in my life - which album should I listen to? Bear in mind, I'm trying to get through the whole lineup (I know it's probs not possible but I try every glasto) so I will only be listening to one album. Any help is appreciated 🙂 

Holy Fire is probably your best bet as it has some of their most popular songs that continue to be played live.