so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

7 minutes ago, Havors said:

haha my 20 would be another persons 20 worst.... but they would be 20 I think should headline before Stormzy haha 

You're making my balls blue with all this talk of lists yet I havent seen any lists. 

I'll show you mine* if you show me yours. 

*list, not balls, my balls are figurative

Edited by MetaKate
Your instead or you're.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MetaKate said:

Your making my balls blue with all this talk of lists yet I havent seen any lists. 

I'll show you mine* if you show me yours. 

*list, not balls, my balls are figurative

hahaha wowzers! If I post a list of acts I think should headline before stormzy im going to be hung drawn and quartered by some people on here who dont grasp people have different opinions.... am I teasing you too much?? haha 

Lets make a deal... if you list 20 you would prefer to see before stormzy, i will list 20?? 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

back up my argument? haha! what argument? I don't need to back up and opinion... its just an opinion. You're welcome. 

Your argument of having 20 acts you believe could headline over Stormzy. You are taking a contrary position to the idea, therefore, you are arguing against it.

You are MOST welcome.

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Quark said:

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

I wouldn't I'm afraid, unless there was really nothing else on I wanted to see at all, which seems unlikely. Can't imagine missing something great in the Park to watch something I didn't much like at the Pyramid purely on principle. 

54 minutes ago, willd255 said:

Personally think it would be a great booking - fits the festival's ethos and is probably the first 'risky' choice since Kanye. Regardless of whether or not you enjoyed him, it makes the festival more interesting.

Stormzy has a second album coming in the first half of next year and if it's as big or bigger than his first, it won't even be a controversial booking. 

It's fits as good as risky booking really, he comes across very well and there is no reason for anyone to say, why book someone who acts like that.

52 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Not much crossover between The Streets and Stormzy?!

The Streets are one of the key reasons people like Stormzy now have the platform that they do. How are they 'totally different acts'? UK garage/grime/hip hop are intertwined and to clash what would be the 2 biggest bookings in those genres would be daft.

Speaking of headlining off the back of 1 ok album...

I don't see it that heavy myself, the two would never connect for me. The Streets came across a lot more jokey for me...they just got taken more seriously than Goldie Lookin Chain.

Just now, sime said:

Your argument of having 20 acts you believe could headline over Stormzy. You are taking a contrary position to the idea, therefore, you are arguing against it.

You are MOST welcome.

Semantics aside..... All I said was that I could list 20 acts I believe (I believe, as in my opinion) deserve to headline "just as much"... not more than.. but just as much as. Let's not get all serious and anal over people having different opinions :)

1 hour ago, Quark said:

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

Is that something you can recall happening much?

Just now, Havors said:

Semantics aside..... All I said was that I could list 20 acts I believe (I believe, as in my opinion) deserve to headline "just as much"... not more than.. but just as much as. Let's not get all serious and anal over people having different opinions :)

I have not said anything regarding your opinion on Stormzy. I was asking if you could list your 20 alternatives. Different conversation. 

Still firmly in the 'I can't believe he's headlining (maybe)' crowd, but fair play to the guy. I have no doubt it sends out a good message and that he is capable of doing it. But I feel like it could be a relatively small crowd, depending on who he's up against.

I'm in my mid-20's with a large group of us going, I'd say we're not far off his target audience, but I think 2 max would go and see him personally.

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Is that something you can recall happening much?

Nope, just thinking in terms of the backlash that some acts that are perceived as a bit different have generated in the past. Like I said, purely theoretical.

And on a different note, we don't really need Havors to post his list do we? Christ, if every conversation and opinion on here has to be backed up with full evidence the world's going right down the bloodypan.  So someone has used a nice round number to illustrate a point, so what? All getting a bit fractious...

Edited by Quark

3 minutes ago, sime said:

I have not said anything regarding your opinion on Stormzy. I was asking if you could list your 20 alternatives. Different conversation. 

Haha im toying with it... do we want to open that can of worms??? Im not sure im prepared for the back lash... 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

No chance mate. I would just go to see what I liked.

The only way I might end up at a Stormzy set is if there is nothing I wanted to see and all my mates wanted to see him, then maybe.

He might only have one album but he passes the canteen test, which is more than some headliners have done

(Canteen test: sitting have your lunch with the people you work with

“You going to that Glastonbury then?”

“Yep”

“Whos’s playing”

“Arcade Fire” 

“Who? Never heard of them. What’s that then. Peruvian arse flute whistling”

”Stormzy”

”oh right, yeah, I know. Anyway wouldn’t get me going, mud, khazis, all that. dunno why you bother etc etc” )

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Havors said:

hahaha wowzers! If I post a list of acts I think should headline before stormzy im going to be hung drawn and quartered by some people on here who dont grasp people have different opinions.... am I teasing you too much?? haha 

Lets make a deal... if you list 20 you would prefer to see before stormzy, i will list 20?? 

Caught me. My list was just going to be Daft punk 20 times. After I saw Daft punk 20 times, then Id still rather see gaga, kendrick, fatm, wolf alice, fleetwood mac, gambino, rihanna. So i technically did a list of 27. Theres more I'd rather see still, but those are the ones I think could potentially headline.

25 minutes ago, sime said:

You are MOST welcome.

he said 20 that "deserve a chance just as much as he does", not 20 that would headline over him.

there are plenty of acts that are sub-Pyramid level and banging on the door of headliner, similar to Stormzy.

5 minutes ago, Mardy said:

He might only have one album but he passes the canteen test, which is more than some headliners have done

(Canteen test: sitting have your lunch with the people you work with

“You going to that Glastonbury then?”

“Yep”

“Whos’s playing”

“Arcade Fire” 

“Who? Never heard of them. What’s that then. Peruvian arse flute whistling”

”Stormzy”

”oh right, yeah, I know. Anyway wouldn’t get me going, mud, khazis, all that. dunno why you bother etc etc” )

Thats a good and a bad thing.... them same people you asking will also know who the arseholes of big brother and other such crap are also... its not a good test haha 

13 minutes ago, Havors said:

Haha im toying with it... do we want to open that can of worms??? Im not sure im prepared for the back lash... 

Do it...! Others do. Personally I like the idea of Stormzy headlining. Although I reckon it will more likely be on The Other Stage. But regardless, he has a huge following and has as much right to headline the Pyramid as any other act in his current position within the music world. He is a big draw (and I say that not as a fan but just in passing). 

15 minutes ago, Havors said:

I'm with you here. I often think about posting then worry about potential backlash just for having a different opinion. 

I like Stormzy, seen him twice and he puts on a good show. I think he is a risky but good choice for the festival. Can I think of plenty of better headliners who I would enjoy more? Yes of course and most people on here could if they were honest, I mean the last few pages is people admitting he's not their kind of thing.