so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

If there's nothing else one I want to see I'll probably go and watch a bit out of curiosity, but I couldn't guarantee I'd stay for the whole thing.

I am the dad taking younger twenties daughter and friends and not bothered by what's on the Pyramid really, much more to be interested in...

I do know who Stormzy is and think it would be good to have some music consciousness displayed by having him perform.

Edited by Gedh

Just now, Havors said:

Good step how?? Out of interest... I think its a terrible step personally. 

While he's not to everyone's tastes, taking a bit more of a chance on an act that is a move away from either your heritage acts (Macca, Cure, Who) or festival favourites (Coldplay, Muse, Artic Monkeys) is more in line with the festival's history, ethos and all that good stuff. Also a lot to be said for a genre that isn't guitar based, and yeah there's the diversity aspect of having a headliner that isn't a group of white guys.

FWIW I do think that the "white guys with guitars" thing is a bit overdone, but again for a festival with Glastonbury's ethos it would be no bad thing to push something a bit different.

Overall it would just show the festival taking a punt rather than playing it safe.

2 hours ago, Riggins said:

Could Sheeran return for a guest appearance ?

You'd have to say it's certainly a chance.

I reckon Liam gets 1hr 15 minimum whereas under 2hr sets from Cure and Macca he won't, certainly not on the Sunday and he's the perfect act to play under a potentially controversially one.

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

I would for Stormzy because he seems like a top guy and will almost definitely do some bashing of the tories, which always goes down well*. I'd just feel so bad for him if he got a shit crowd..... However, I might not do the same for other artists. But then, I also don't hate his music, which helps!

*is it objectification if one were to say that he was also reasonably easy on the eye when he did that rapping in the fake rain with his top off at the brits? Probably.... 

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Surely I can't be the only one who isn't bothered if my mum hasn't heard of a particular act etc?

Haha, if I was actually bothered by this I would never go to anything claiming to be a "contemporary" music festival.

Weirdly though my Mum does have quite good knowledge of Nu-Metal metal artists due to that (actually quite long and drawn out) teenage phase I went through .... But Korn are pretty fucking unlikely to headline Glastonbury. 

Edited by Sasperella

36 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I actually thought he'd he impressed by Macca playing but he said "He's past it now he won't he very good". Alright dad go back to your Meatloaf tours son.

Edit: Unsurprising as I am the farmer version of you.

My dad just bought tickets to see "bat out of hell" for the second time.

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

I'm not taking any hits for anyones principals except mine. Stormzy isnt my thing so I'll be somewhere thats more my thing. Im not going to suffer because there may or may mot be enough people there to see him... 

28 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aaaah don't be gutted. Who ever  said Glastonbury was just about the pyramid :)

Tbh, I don't really know his music so much and I saw Skept briefly a few years back and lasted about ten minutes before I bailed...buuuuut I think Stormzy is absolutely lovely, clearly massively relevant, and after the Grenfell rap at the brits I'm all for it (But maybe a little bit worried about him not getting a big enough crowd). I reckon I would go along with one of my friends who I know will be up for it to check it out unless there is some sort of Prodigy/Chase&Status clash....

Agree completely! Like I say plenty of other stuff to do. Would just love at least one massive rock act to show my brother the Pyramid for the first ever time, if I'm being fussy! I don't mind Stormzy and I see why he's being given the chance, but I find with music like that it's better in the studio/on record than it is live. Not for me.

Praying for an excellent Park headliner! Love that place at night!

Personally think it would be a great booking - fits the festival's ethos and is probably the first 'risky' choice since Kanye. Regardless of whether or not you enjoyed him, it makes the festival more interesting.

Stormzy has a second album coming in the first half of next year and if it's as big or bigger than his first, it won't even be a controversial booking. 

Also, I'm not saying that I'd suffer because I'd be watching Stormzy.... I'd suffer because I'd miss something else I'd enjoy more. I'm actually happy to have a night away from the Pyramid sorted. I'm super excited for what might be on the other stages. 

Edited by MetaKate

29 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

I saw Bugsy Malone on Jools the other day. I don't know where he sits. I liked it, I think because it was quite melodic.

Bugzy is proper grime! That was with Rag'n'Bone Man wasn't it?! Not quite the same as some of his other stuff haha, see below... Glad you enjoyed it though.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

While he's not to everyone's tastes, taking a bit more of a chance on an act that is a move away from either your heritage acts (Macca, Cure, Who) or festival favourites (Coldplay, Muse, Artic Monkeys) is more in line with the festival's history, ethos and all that good stuff. Also a lot to be said for a genre that isn't guitar based, and yeah there's the diversity aspect of having a headliner that isn't a group of white guys.

FWIW I do think that the "white guys with guitars" thing is a bit overdone, but again for a festival with Glastonbury's ethos it would be no bad thing to push something a bit different.

Overall it would just show the festival taking a punt rather than playing it safe.

Has anyone headlined the Pyramid with 1 album? Being diverse and pushing new styles of music is one thing... something Glasto embraces... but putting someone headline slot on Pyramid who in all honesty shouldn't be there (YET) is a bit strange in my opinion. Is it trying to be diverse just for the sake of it? 

Just my opinion. I actually like the lad and big for your boots is bloody awesome and hilarious to dance to haha! but he should not be headlining the Pyramid at this moment in time. Give him West Holts or Other stage at a push... he will be ready for Pyramid in a few years if he hasn't faded into obscurity. 

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think there would be much crossover, totally different acts.

I'm sure someone said Friday Other.

Not much crossover between The Streets and Stormzy?!

The Streets are one of the key reasons people like Stormzy now have the platform that they do. How are they 'totally different acts'? UK garage/grime/hip hop are intertwined and to clash what would be the 2 biggest bookings in those genres would be daft.

18 minutes ago, Havors said:

NO NO NO NO NO!!! Please no!! 1 ok album? straight to a headline slot??? It best be on West Holts... shocking behaviour. The Cure can do one as well haha! I want Arctic Monkeys!!

Stormzy, The Cure & Macca is a pretty shoddy headliners for my tastes. Macca is great the other two nah...  

Speaking of headlining off the back of 1 ok album...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

My dad just bought tickets to see "bat out of hell" for the second time.

I'm not taking any hits for anyones principals except mine. Stormzy isnt my thing so I'll be somewhere thats more my thing. Im not going to suffer because there may or may mot be enough people there to see him... 

I went to see Bat Out of Hell last year lool.

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Has anyone headlined the Pyramid with 1 album? Being diverse and pushing new styles of music is one thing... something Glasto embraces... but putting someone headline slot on Pyramid who in all honesty shouldn't be there (YET) is a bit strange in my opinion. Is it trying to be diverse just for the sake of it? 

Just my opinion. I actually like the lad and big for your boots is bloody awesome and hilarious to dance to haha! but he should not be headlining the Pyramid at this moment in time. Give him West Holts or Other stage at a push... he will be ready for Pyramid in a few years if he hasn't faded into obscurity. 

He's releasing a second album. I don't understand how people haven't got this yet.

19 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Surely I can't be the only one who isn't bothered if my mum hasn't heard of a particular act etc?

How have we ended up at judging if a headliner is "big" or "popular" enough to headline by that barometer?!!

I'd say of the age demographic who go to the festival although of course varied the largest % will be of people who at least know who Stormzy is.

Which as far as i'm concerned is case closed.

I mean, if there was nothing on the whole site that took my fancy at that time, highly unlikely given the huge range of quality DJs usually on at that time in the SE Corner, then yeah of course...

I think it's kind of a moot point though, because Stormzy will draw a big enough audience anyway, what with all the R1 airplay he gets. I wasn't there for him in 2017, but apparently he drew a huge crowd to the Other Stage. 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

Arctic Monkeys did

Stormzy has a 2nd album coming next year also - if it's as big as the first, headliner status will be more than justified

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

he'll have 2 albums by next June.

Yes apparently so...

I still think it's a waste of a headline slot personally and I don't mind him at all. If it was Stormzy, Arctics & Macca I would be happy with as there is a good mix there.... Stormzy, The Cure & Macca... makes it a lot worse for me.