The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

4 hours ago, Skoo said:

Urgh, look how deep that mud is. That's a welly sucker if ever I saw one.

Yep, wellies were pretty much useless in 2016. I remember seeing a huge pile of them down by The Other stage - people were just throwing them away. My mate ditched his and decided to go barefoot. He was hospitalised about 12 hours later with a nasty foot infection. He missed the remainder of the festival. We still laugh at him today for that. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Yep, wellies were pretty much useless in 2016. I remember seeing a huge pile of them down by The Other stage - people were just throwing them away. My mate ditched his and decided to go barefoot. He was hospitalised about 12 hours later with a nasty foot infection. He missed the remainder of the festival. We still laugh at him today for that. 

I wonder how many wellies were found once the mud finally dried up?? Saw so many piles like this one, I ended up sticking with Docs and they saw me through

FB_IMG_1559593826560.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kaytee... said:

I ended up sticking with Docs and they saw me through

Same. I’ve been to many festivals in all kinds of conditions and have never worn a pair of wellingtons. A good pair of boots is all you need! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Same. I’ve been to many festivals in all kinds of conditions and have never worn a pair of wellingtons. A good pair of boots is all you need! 

I’ve got a pair of DM wellies - all the joy of a pair of docs but 100% watertight. Would recommend. 

33 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I wonder how many wellies were found once the mud finally dried up?? Saw so many piles like this one, I ended up sticking with Docs and they saw me through

FB_IMG_1559593826560.jpg

What did these people have on their feet after discarding the wellies?!

1 minute ago, duke88 said:

What did these people have on their feet after discarding the wellies?!

Trenchfoot.

That year I was at some woodfired pizza place near williams green about 1 in morning and theres quite a big step up to get your pizza but the steps were literally sinking in the mud. Some guy told me to hold his pizza, he slipped his feet out of the wellies that were firmly lodged in the mud, grabbed his pizza and sat down. I have never seen a pair of feet like that in my life and I never wish to ?

It looks like Accuweather has taken a turn for the worse.  Metcheck also has rain on the friday and saturday but doesn't look like too much trouble (3mm and 1mm) given that drier conditions are forecast for the week prior.

I'd usually get a bit nervous when seeing a forecast like that but given how dry the ground is and after being reminded of the conditions of 2016, I'm a lot more positive than usual.  

Either that or my antidepressants are working.  Either way, I'll take it!

oh no.png

Edited by Kinkyinuit
  • Upvote 1

Latest from Jackone/J10, though as most of the models only stretch to 2 weeks out there's not much yet to go on

Tuesday 18 June to Tuesday 2 July
Confidence remains generally low through this period, but during the third week of June it is likely that generally drier and mostly settled conditions will have become established across the UK. This will bring some fine and dry days, but there will still be a risk of some periods of more changeable weather, particularly as we approach the start of July. These will bring occasional wet and breezy spells, with a risk of some thundery outbreaks, more especially in the south. Temperatures will likely be around average, but perhaps cooler in the north towards the end of the month.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC+1) on Mon 3 Jun 2019

NOAA 8 to 14 Day 500mb Outlook Trends

796658821_814day.03310519.thumb.gif.99cc71e53ff6f2599a0cb2bef7c5001e.gif2005958405_814day.03010619.thumb.gif.2ba027f4b27e912a5f3e1bc8a3d076fc.gif322522876_814day.03020619.thumb.gif.69870b993824c2ce6e831e3ac8b5b07e.gif1318271940_814day.03030619.thumb.gif.eddefecd7cf3bf68e1532a74d02df88f.gif

Not as good a chart today. Tomorrow I will have a look at the ensembles

28 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

It looks like Accuweather has taken a turn for the worse.  Metcheck also has rain on the friday and saturday but doesn't look like too much trouble (3mm and 1mm) given that drier conditions are forecast for the week prior.

I'd usually get a bit nervous when seeing a forecast like that but given how dry the ground is and after being reminded of the conditions of 2016, I'm a lot more positive than usual.  

Either that or my antidepressants are working.  Either way, I'll take it!

oh no.png

You'll take a thunderstorm and 3 days of rain before the gates open, rain and a thunderstorm on Wednesday, rain Thursday, a thunderstorm on Friday, rain and a thunderstorm on Saturday and rain on Sunday?! 

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

You'll take a thunderstorm and 3 days of rain before the gates open, rain and a thunderstorm on Wednesday, rain Thursday, a thunderstorm on Friday, rain and a thunderstorm on Saturday and rain on Sunday?! 

I KNOW RIGHT 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

I took it to mean Kinkyinuit would take their own more positive outlook, not the actual forecast. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

God no. Though apart from the thunder storm on saturday, the majority of the showers are quite small so wouldn't impact on the ground that much but I'd rather not have it

The metcheck forecast (which I failed to attach properly the first time) paints a better picture.  It isn't perfect but it's better than what we've had some years.  

11 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

I took it to mean Kinkyinuit would take their own more positive outlook, not the actual forecast

Bingo!  Apologies for not being as clear!

oh no.png

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Remember thunderstorms are very hit and miss, localised and can easily pass by with only a few rumbles in the distance. Also they tend to be short lived rather than the persistent pishing down that I contend with in the west of Scotland.  

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Hate to be the purveyor of bad news and also have to caveat this because much can change but the output from the charts at the moment is pointing to an unsettled 7-10 days.

Whilst not particularly worried about it myself I must admit it does make me feel even more grateful to all those who will be on site setting up for the rest of us!

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Hate to be the purveyor of bad news and also have to caveat this because much can change but the output from the charts at the moment is pointing to an unsettled 7-10 days.

Defo a bit of the 2007s about the run in.

Worrying. Very worrying.

• Like 1