The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

32 minutes ago, benc said:

wasn't 2010 all to play for with a few days to go? pretty sure rain / mud was forcasted quite late on

I can recall the weekend before 2010 festival a mate of mine and me going to the pub to watch England v Algeria in the World Cup that was in South Africa, the pub we went to had a massive outdoor screen for the game and it ended up everyone watching inside as the rain was that heavy (Oxford area) my mate said to me 'haha this looks really bad for you at Glastonbury doesn't it?' - it was hard to disagree at that point as we were only four days away from heading down to Somerset.

Turned out alright. :)

When it's like that pre-festival you know you're f**ked

It also shows how many people don't know how to tow a caravan / drive a car properly in muddy conditions.

Getting in to East camper fields was an absolute shit show...!

6 hours ago, briddj said:

Yep, think on Saturday it's going piss it down across the whole country.

That rain will mean nothing though with the forecast for the week after. The moisture will be long gone.

I’m doing a marathon on Saturday. If I take one for the team there in terms of rain, surely we’re in for a dry Glastonbury?!?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Oh yes it was relentless but that was my point even during the festival there were days when it was like 20% chance of rain but we seemed to just keep getting it. I remember waking up every morning and hearing the rain and a little bit more of me dying inside. The Brexit result didn't help either. 

It was fairly dry during the day though.  Even the Sunday evening drizzle wasn't that bad.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was fairly dry during the day though.  Even the Sunday evening drizzle wasn't that bad.

Yes it always seemed most terrible over night and early morning (which I accept is a time that most Glastonbury goers don't see!) I am sadly programmed these days to wake up at about 7 regardless of what time I go to bed. 

1 minute ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

#NeverForget

Shudders!!! The worst bit was I had a broken toe and had to get to the field in Campervan East field where all the trouble was so we started that Glastonbury with an 18 hour journey to the festival (usually it's 4.5 -5 depending on how long we stop at Gloucester services)! I never want to repeat that year. 

45 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

When it's like that pre-festival you know you're f**ked

It also shows how many people don't know how to tow a caravan / drive a car properly in muddy conditions.

Getting in to East camper fields was an absolute shit show...!

Ha, people on here were still "ooh, the drainage is much better since 2005 so it will all be bone dry in a day" ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Ha, people on here were still "ooh, the drainage is much better since 2005 so it will all be bone dry in a day" ?

The main time the new drainage saved us was 2014.  That was some heavy rain and most of it just drained away.  The market area between Silver Hayes/Other and Pyramid was the only place that was properly muddy that year.  Wonderful.

Just now, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Aye, and looking at his previous vid dated 11/06, the ground looked fine. it might have been wet underneath but it seemed ok.

So the irreparable damage happened between 11th and 17th.

We'd probably have been in a better state if the water table had been lower.  @deebeedoobee's well is what I'm most worried about now!

This will be my first Glasto since 2015. I dont expect / want it scorching or even need it to be rain free. But to have persistent rain the whole time and not being able to site anywhere fills me with dread.

Hats off to those of you that made it through 2016

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We'd probably have been in a better state if the water table had been lower.  @deebeedoobee's well is what I'm most worried about now!

In 2016 we had water at the bottom of it. Today it is dry. The dampness starts 2 inches underground so all is well (!) at the moment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

In 2016 we had water at the bottom of it. Today it is dry. The dampness starts 2 inches underground so all is well (!) at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Ok forget AccuWeather, the BBC and Countryfile. It's @deebeedoobee s well updates we need.

I say we get these added to The Thingy. In future years we'll be able to ignore all weather reports and gauge the state of the ground ourselves based off these!

• Like 1