Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

can't remember if it's been mentioned, but Foals have an 8 day gap over Glastonbury weekend, and are doing plenty of euro festivals around that time. just announced that they'll have 2 albums out this year too.

Other headliner?

can't see them jumping up to Pyramid headliner (especially with Stormzy), and probably wouldn't do Pyramid sub again?

e: surprised they're not at R&L really, seems like that would be perfect for them.

Edited by ghostdancer1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Them wrapping up their tour in less than a year since TbHC was released is very fishy. I reckon they probably are working on another album for a bigger tour next year.

i wasn’t that sold on them being a 2020 contender since this year would have made more sense. However it seems like 2020 for them is a real possibility

I don't think it's fishy or that them working on another album would be in any way surprising, Turner is relentless with his output, an album every 2 years is normal. The Monkeys break was largely down to other band members getting married and having kids so I'd expect something like a return to normal now.

I think 2020 always made more sense. 2019 is only really one album on from their last appearance (played the 2 biggest hits from AM plus one other track despite the album coming up a couple of months later). Plus, for a big anniversary year they make a lot of sense for the festival. They could provide the very current, younger contrast to the likely Elton John and another legendary act to make up a line-up of 3 huge headliners. I think the whole homegrown, major global success story also helps their cause for the big one. 

11 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

can't remember if it's been mentioned, but Foals have an 8 day gap over Glastonbury weekend, and are doing plenty of euro festivals around that time. just announced that they'll have 2 albums out this year too.

Other headliner?

can't see them jumping up to Pyramid headliner (especially with Stormzy), and probably wouldn't do Pyramid sub again?

e: surprised they're not at R&L really, seems like that would be perfect for them.

I reckon R&L got pretty much the best set of headliners this year for their demographic. I dunno where they could have fitted Foals in tbh.

However TRNSMT & IOW are good possibilities or they may just do the FR Finsbury show QOTSA did last year. Doubt they'll be at Glasto this year though unless it is a secret set

13 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Other headliner?

I don't think they'll play at all to be honest, unless it's a Killers-eque secret set. As you say, they won't be headlining and it's too soon for them to sub again. Headlining the Other would feel like a step down for them.

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

yeah, secret set would make more sense. they've done one at Reading/Leeds a couple of years ago so probably wouldn't be adverse to it.

definitely a bit strange that they've that whole weekend completely free though (so far anyway....)

They might just want to come as punters.

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Other headliner?

I know its becoming a bit of cliche here on eFestivals, but ... Alternative Friday Headliner please!

Would it be that weird for them to take a step down on the lineup?

what went down was really the time for them to push through but it really flopped.

they are a great band but i’l comfortably say now that they will never reach main festival headline level. So why kid themselves? They would probably do better with an Other headline to push the new album than a no show

Edited by Matt42

Would anyone feel aggrieved if B52's turned up at for me any stage! 

Just happened to notice that their playing in Spain, weekend before Glastonbury.... 

I for one would love to catch them live, as were a big part of my adolescent years. More importantly some real party songs that never fail to put a smile on me face ?

6 minutes ago, IntoTheWhite said:

Just happened to notice that their playing in Spain, weekend before Glastonbury.... 

I for one would love to catch them live, as were a big part of my adolescent years. More importantly some real party songs that never fail to put a smile on me face ?

I would love it !

2 hours ago, IntoTheWhite said:

Since I saw they were active around that time I'm basically counting on them being there. Where though? Post Kylie would be perfect I reckon.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

what went down was really the time for them to push through but it really flopped.

they are a great band but i’l comfortably say now that they will never reach main festival headline level. So why kid themselves? They would probably do better with an Other headline to push the new album than a no show

Cos even if they can’t headline Glastonbury aka. the main festival, they can headline loads of others. If they keep taking non headline slots they won’t. That’s practically the only reason they’re not seen in that light in 2019 - cos they took a non-headline slot at Glasto.

50 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Cos even if they can’t headline Glastonbury aka. the main festival, they can headline loads of others. If they keep taking non headline slots they won’t. That’s practically the only reason they’re not seen in that light in 2019 - cos they took a non-headline slot at Glasto.

Yeah I’d say they’re more likely for things like Latitude, Kendall or even IOW.  

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That’s practically the only reason they’re not seen in that light in 2019 - cos they took a non-headline slot at Glasto.

I disagree with this. I think the reason why they aren’t considered major festival headliners in the U.K. is because they have not got the following to be a major festival headliner in the U.K. They had a chance to get there with the follow up to holy fire - but it just wasn’t meant to be.

I strongly believe that them co-headlining Reading with WWD was a gamble taken by FR in belief that their next album would be the one that solidified them as headliners.

this isn’t coming from a place of hate btw I love foals. I’m just not going to convince myself that a band I like is a headline band if they aren’t.

i’m enough of a fan to admit that there is not enough hype behind them to make it a possibility.

Edited by Matt42

I think to become a festival headliner you’ve gotta get there pretty fast. Almost somewhat prematurely.

I understand it’s nice to see a band slowly but surely work their way up to become a major festival headliner but it rarely ever happens. Most festival headliners are bands/acts who had very strong debuts. Not bands who’ve had a very steady climb to sub lever over 10 years

Edited by Matt42

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I disagree with this. I think the reason why they aren’t considered major festival headliners in the U.K. is because they have not got the following to be a major festival headliner in the U.K. They had a chance to get there with the follow up to holy fire - but it just wasn’t meant to be.

I strongly believe that them co-headlining Reading with WWD was a gamble taken by FR in belief that their next album would be the one that solidified them as headliners.

this isn’t coming from a place of hate btw I love foals. I’m just not going to convince myself that a band I like is a headline band if they aren’t.

i’m enough of a fan to admit that there is not enough hype behind them to make it a possibility.

They did headline Reading, a major festival, among loads of other fests and arenas around the country. How don’t they have the following? Why can’t you say they’re a headline band, Mr. Fan?

Like I said, not arguing their Glastonbury headline credentials again for a couple of years but they’ve earned the right not to have to chuck in lower slots for the foreseeable.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, IntoTheWhite said:

There’s even a place for them to stay in Glastonbury, would you believe there’s a ‘Love Shack’ for rent...

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

What Went Down didn't flop though.   Sure, it didn't go to #1 or crossover to the casual music fan in the way people had hoped it would but it sold just as well as the other records.

It went to #3 and spent 6 months in the top 100 (longer than any of their other albums).   It's their 4th gold record in a row.   Their album sales have actually been remarkably consistent which is more impressive when you factor in the general decline in album sales and the difficulty that alternative artists face in getting hit singles now.

The album also pushed them up to arenas (even if they didn't all sell out) so I do think it's something of a myth on these forums that the album flopped.

I think they missed a trick by accepting a sub slot at Glastonbury last time and they should have held out until they were offered a headliner position.  They'd been seen as a weaker headliner but they're one of the few British alternative bands that could do it at the moment.   Dropping to Other headliner would be premature.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think to become a festival headliner you’ve gotta get there pretty fast. Almost somewhat prematurely.

I understand it’s nice to see a band slowly but surely work their way up to become a major festival headliner but it rarely ever happens. Most festival headliners are bands/acts who had very strong debuts. Not bands who’ve had a very steady climb to sub lever over 10 years

Arcade Fire, Kasabian and Ed Sheeran have all worked their way up the bill to headline status in recent times. Florence would almost certainly have done so too had she not been bumped up due to Sprinty Dave pulling out.