Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I dunno if that’s comparable though. Kasabian had headlined pretty much every other festival in the U.K. before they headlined Glastonbury. I can’t see Foals doing the same

also Arcade Fire became an internationally recognised headliner. Which once again is a bit different then a British band working their way up.

I do agree though, Florence is a weird one but I wouldn’t count her out headlining Glastonbury again in the future

Of course it's comparable, I've given you three (four if we're counting Florence) examples of acts who have slowly risen through the festival ranks to take headline status, none of them blew up quickly like you said needed happen. Kasabian, for example, first played GF in 2004, again in 05 (I think), subbed in 09 and by the time they headlined they were on their fourth or fifth album. That's a fairly slow ascent.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I dunno if that’s comparable though. Kasabian had headlined pretty much every other festival in the U.K. before they headlined Glastonbury. I can’t see Foals doing the same

also Arcade Fire became an internationally recognised headliner. Which once again is a bit different then a British band working their way up.

I do agree though, Florence is a weird one but I wouldn’t count her out headlining Glastonbury again in the future

I don’t think taking a sub spot automatically lowers or raises your chances in future or at other festivals. There’s a load of factors involved and there’s a fine line between being a rarity and being forgotten or increased exposure/over exposure. You can nail a sub and prove yourself as a potential headliner or do the same headlining a smaller festival. That list of acts shows there is more than one way to the top.

I think for Foals they need more widely recognisable ‘big songs’. I don’t think they have a ‘Wake Up’ that fans would see as the highlight of the weekend or a more mainstream ‘Dog days are over’ that the BBC would show clips of for years to come.

Foals are difficult to place at the minute, they disappeared after subbing Glastonbury and coheadlining R&L, so it seemed like they were right on the verge of (outright) headlining major festivals. Then they've come back, and the only UK date announced so far is a headline slot at This Is Tomorrow in Newcastle, which granted is only in it's second year, first at the new site, but doesn't look like it'll be any bigger/as big as the likes of Kendal Calling, Y-Not or Tramlines.

They teased two new albums in 2019 yesterday, so it may be too early to judge until they've announced more dates. There's still TRNSMT and Isle of Wight to announce their line ups, a headline/coheadline slot at either would probably put them at the same level as before they went away, but if it ends up being say This is Tomorrow and an All Points East show, then it gives the impression that 'major' festivals aren't interested in having them headline. If that's the case then I suppose they've got a lot riding on these two albums, two stinkers in a row would probably see them slipping down the bills, but if they both do well it would be hard to argue their credentials.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DJL said:

I think for Foals they need more widely recognisable ‘big songs’. I don’t think they have a ‘Wake Up’ that fans would see as the highlight of the weekend or a more mainstream ‘Dog days are over’ that the BBC would show clips of for years to come.

Didn't the BBC use My Number as the theme song for their Glastonbury coverage?

1 hour ago, DJL said:

You can nail a sub and prove yourself as a potential headliner or do the same headlining a smaller festival.

They had their shot at that though in 2016 and failed. That was the perfect platform to show their headline credentials and they blew it with a bang average performance. They're gonna need a banger of an album to break through the ceiling now they're stuck in the same sort of situation as Biffy.