SomeoneListeningIn

All Points East Festival 2019

Huge thanks everyone for the real ale brown beer tent intel

Total legends all of you!

Ditto info on security at entrances. Love this community!

All the practical info from yesterday

Queues - On the way in very organized, hardly any waiting. Way out was a nightmare.

Security check - I read I think on Twitter that they weren’t doing much, yet it turned to be one of the most thorough checks I’ve experienced. They went through pockets of folded jackets, even cases for glasses. But...

There’s a policy that you can bring in an unopened water bottle, which I did but nobody checked whether it was actually unopened. So if you really want to get something in...

Also there’s a no food policy and I had half my lunch in the pocket of my jacket (I was gonna finish it before getting there but didn’t feel very well, so this was quite unintentional). The lady must have felt it in the pocket but was probably searching only for solid objects.

No one asked for an ID. (I’m 22 but look olde though.)

Prices - Beer £3 small, £6 pint, Heineken 400ml £5.6, wine 375ml £13, 750ml £25, cider £2.8 small, £5.5 pint, £5.5 packaged 300ml, spirits 50ml £10. Food felt pricy to me but then again I’m spoiled by Eastern Europe’s standards and everything is pricy to me.

Merch - I only saw their APE merch and stuff for Chems and The Strokes actually? Not much else.

Waste management - Terrible. Plastic everywhere.

Staff - Big shoutout honestly. I spent most my day at the barrier of the North stage and inbetween and even during acts they were giving out cups of water. Generally everyone was very nice to deal with.

Sound - I’m not an expert but here are my thoughts. Like I said I spent most of the day at the North stage. First off I thought that it was wonderful. Not too loud, clear, nice. Around Courtney Barnett I had to take ear plugs and for Interpol I felt it was too loud actually. Plus the drums felt way too heavy in the mix. Enough was said about The Strokes, but it really was hard to hear.

• Upvote 1

I must be getting old as I didn’t really notice any sound issues although it did waft around a bit on the main stage. 

Saw some good bands Dream Wife, Fat White Family, Jarvis. Thought Interpol were excellent- the best I’ve heard in years. Obviously “greatest hits” festival sets work better with me. Although I was towards the back I thought The Strokes were poor. Thought they were much better at BST a few years back. Saw about 50 minutes and jogged it on although I might have been a bit “weary” by then.

Not expecting too much today. Hopefully I’ll stumble upon some pleasant surprises. 

I've seen a lot of people moaning about the sound for Interpol and The Strokes on Twitter today. Was it really that bad or is it people just moaning because they can? Didn't hear anything negative about Chemical Brothers' set.

Also heard the sound cut out half way through the day, so might have been a tech issue that they hopefully resolve?

Travelling and will spend a lot of money next Friday, so hoping it's worth it??

9 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

I've seen a lot of people moaning about the sound for Interpol and The Strokes on Twitter today. Was it really that bad or is it people just moaning because they can? Didn't hear anything negative about Chemical Brothers' set.

Also heard the sound cut out half way through the day, so might have been a tech issue that they hopefully resolve?

Travelling and will spend a lot of money next Friday, so hoping it's worth it??

The Strokes were just not loud enough. You couldn’t hear the vocals much. When Julian said something inbetween songs, you couldn’t even tell what he was talking about. I wasn’t even far back.

6 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

anyone know how strict they were with IDs, me and my girlfriend are both 17 (we both look older, get served in all bars etc.) but obviously for the BMTH day it’s anyone under 18 needs to be with someone over 18

Both of us 17, look fairly young although we are both like a month or so off 18 - didn’t try and enter with others and they didn’t care. Loads of young people will go like catfish last year and they just let it slide

19 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

i couldn’t hear over people talking and i heard someone on LBC describing the exact same problems for chemicals (massively reduced sound on the right and centre left was much better)

Didn’t think the queues were too bad really, I thought getting out was a breeze. Guess it depended how far back you were once the strokes ended.

on that note, the sound was terrible on whole right side front to back, eventually moved to the back left and it was perfect, didn’t seem to be any wind so no idea who was going on there. Having said, I think the mix was bad in general and the strokes  a bit sloppy, but I guess that’s them? Something felt off with them as well, do they even like each other or want to be there? Disappointed because it did sound (the bits I could make out) like a good set list. 

3 hours ago, Raspberry said:

Mate its still working now! sign up & get buying ...

Sun 26 May Christine & The Queens

https://www.showfilmfirst.com/pin/201619

I’ve applied but they haven’t processed it yet !! How long does it tend to take? I did it late last night. How do you purchase when they’ve confirmed your application?

2 minutes ago, Tkp123 said:

I’ve applied but they haven’t processed it yet !! How long does it tend to take? I did it late last night. How do you purchase when they’ve confirmed your application?

I applied on Friday and my partner apples yesterday, no confirmation from either. I don't think they work at weekends.

Ok I have two spares for Bon Iver. They came on one PDF so I can’t really split them up. First person to quote this and DM me their email address will get them.

They are free via 02 however if the recipient wanted to make a small donation to Efestivals running costs, I’m sure it would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, John L said:

Ok I have two spares for Bon Iver. They came on one PDF so I can’t really split them up. First person to quote this and DM me their email address will get them.

They are free via 02 however if the recipient wanted to make a small donation to Efestivals running costs, I’m sure it would be appreciated.

I’d love to take these off you!

6 minutes ago, fools_gold said:

I’d love to take these off you!

They are yours if you DM me your email address please

I was down in the pit for Interpol and it was fantastic...loads of people falling over as you'd expect but everyone was being nice helping them up, although there was one guy who seemed desperate to start a fight but a few people were trying to calm him down and it seemed to be ok.

Stood near the back for The Strokes and thought it just sounded normal for a big outdoor venue. 

4 hours ago, Raspberry said:

a mate went in today via pdf on phone just had to up the brightness for the scanner to register the barcode so possibly ....  be good to get confirmation from anyone who went in Fri or Today Sat that using phone pdf barcode was successful though!

Can anyone confirm?

PDF / QR codes on phone are fine, although on Dice they had problems with the free competition tickets - we just got waved through without a proper check. 

Started half way back to right of mixing desk for strokes and sound was shocking. There was booing in between the first 3 tracks. We doubled back out to the where the bars were (as trying to find someone we lost), and that randomly dramatically improved the sound. I had thought maybe a technical issue had been solved, but perhaps it was just the spot we moved to. Sound was great after that 

not heard anything bad about any other acts.

Could it be that the strokes weren't setup properly? 

how did the other acts/ stages sound?

Yesterday for me was a mixed bag. The majority of the music I saw was great (Angie McMahon, Paraquet Courts, Argyl and the Sniffers).

Johnny Marr and The Raconteurs were absolutely Incredible. Was great hearing some Smiths songs (he also sounded a lot like Morissey) and Jack White was fantastic.

Fat White Family, Jarvis and The Strokes on the other hand were very disappointing. Ive seen FWF a lot of times and thought they were great but yesterday they felt really off. The strokes first half was dull and the lead singer was talking too much however when he stopped talking and focused on songs in the second half it did pick up (deffo sound issues as well.

Was gutted about Jarvis, was expecting him to be the highlight of my day but I couldn't hear him and turns out for me at least his solo stuff doesn't hit the spot.

Very excited for Christine today!

No Sam Fender at Mumford’s date next weekend. Has had to pull out on doctors advice

No issues getting in or out for us, food was good, beer not bad and most of the sets were pretty darn great - with the possible exception of Fat White Family, bit that might just be because I'd only heard their radio singles. 

Found the sound to be dodgy across all three main stages though, and with basically the same issue: the vocals were waaay too low, and the drums / guitar too high. Especially for Jarvis, Interpol and The Strokes. Sounded instrumental at times.

Oddly the further back you stood the better it sounded. All three stages were inaudible in the middle, but the North Stage sounded great by the beer tent on the left of the stage.

Edited by Brainy