Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

There’s folk camping outside the Hydro in Glasgow for a place at the front for the1975 gig in a few days time. You’ve got to admire their devotion. I was about to make a derogatory comment then remembered 50 years ago I sat out overnight in Glasgow queuing for a led Zep ticket! And those were mean streets.

3 days is certainly quite the commitment, which I think is how long they're out for.

I know of overnights tbf - when I first saw Green Day at Wembley in 2010, there were sleeping bags and tents at the front of the queue, as there also have been the other times I've seen a stadium show at Wembley (Muse 2010 and Killers 2013).

Been a while since hearing of it for an arena act.

24 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Didn’t put the GnR or QoTSA fans off last year. 

I’m not one of those and I was talking about Arcade Fire. Thanks though. 

9 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

I see you are new to social media. It can be daunting at first but most adapt quickly. 

That’s good to know. Cheerio. 

14 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Could see Pervert Lurch and the lads trying to generate some badly-needed goodwill with a secret set 

This would be best case scenario for me - get to see them do Funeral without the guilt of me having to buy a ticket and go to one of their own shows - but I don’t think Glastonbury will go for it.

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

This would be best case scenario for me - get to see them do Funeral without the guilt of me having to buy a ticket and go to one of their own shows - but I don’t think Glastonbury will go for it.

Yeah, its one thing letting them play and advertising it, springing Pervery Lurch as a surprise would really piss people off

On 2/5/2024 at 3:15 PM, JayDiesel said:

It's pretty wild looking back at it now. Brand New are one of my favourite ever bands, and they were on tour with a (by that time) fairly pedestrian mainstream rock band. Could have made the argument the following year that BN were the bigger band. 

I miss them 😞

Brand New supported Incubus way back as well, saw them at the NEC, great gig.

Not so much huge bands but been to some good gigs where smaller UK acts had great US bands over the years, Cave In supporting Hundred Reasons, Hopesfall supporting sikth, had tickets to Glassjaw supporting Lostprophets but they pulled out. All a while back but trying to think of more!

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Yeah, its one thing letting them play and advertising it, springing Pervery Lurch as a surprise would really piss people off

I think you are over-emphasizing how much people care about the situation. Whilst, Win's actions are certainly questionable they are really no different to some of our beloved acts such as David Bowie, Led Zepplin; and dozens of other acts that have controversial moments whether involving sexual misconduct or not. 

So far there is little to no evidence to suggest that the allegations against Win have affected the status of the band in the grand scheme of things. Sure, some people may question if they still like the band, but as far as I can tell they are roughly the same stature now as they were in 2019.

They had already dropped to a medium size arena band before the allegations came to light and they had peaked in 2014. I don't think the band have handled the situation that well, but they have always dissappeared between albums. Yet, here we are nearly 2 years after the allegations and they are being booked for 20k shows in Ireland, likely one or two shows in the UK & headlining medium size festivals in Europe & the U.S. and still huge in South America. All of which they were doing before any allegations came to light.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, beau1 said:

So far there is little to no evidence to suggest that the allegations against Win have affected the status of the band in the grand scheme of things.

This isn’t true though. They completed their obligations after the humiliation of having peers like Feist and Beck abandon support slots, playing to weird atmospheres in UK/Europe and tarped-off arenas across the US where you could pick up tickets for half face on the day of almost every show. They would almost certainly have planned to tour that record another year with lots of high-profile festival slots, but instead cherry-picked the handful of events still willing to book them and did no press whatsoever in the hope that things would quieten down.

9 minutes ago, beau1 said:

So far there is little to no evidence to suggest that the allegations against Win have affected the status of the band in the grand scheme of things. Sure, some people may question if they still like the band, but as far as I can tell they are roughly the same stature now as they were in 2019.

Perhaps people just realised they weren't very good?

9 minutes ago, Drinky said:

This isn’t true though. They completed their obligations after the humiliation of having peers like Feist and Beck abandon support slots, playing to weird atmospheres in UK/Europe and tarped-off arenas across the US where you could pick up tickets for half face on the day of almost every show. They would almost certainly have planned to tour that record another year with lots of high-profile festival slots, but instead cherry-picked the handful of events still willing to book them and did no press whatsoever in the hope that things would quieten down.

They were playing tarped off arenas in the U.S with low ticket sales back in 2018 too as their star had already started to wane. They actually added selected shows to their 2022 U.S Tour.

I take your point that they may have done more in 2023, but thats what I mean about them not handling the situation particularly well. They just shut up and hoped things would go quiet. 

Has that worked? Possibly. But I do find the double standards a little weird.

Edited by beau1

20 minutes ago, beau1 said:

I think you are over-emphasizing how much people care about the situation. Whilst, Win's actions are certainly questionable they are really no different to some of our beloved acts such as David Bowie, Led Zepplin; and dozens of other acts that have controversial moments whether involving sexual misconduct or not.

This is a really good point.

I very much doubt any big 60's or 70's band are totally innocent.

The Stones even wrote a song about sleeping with under age girls.

There is a tendency to cherry pick who is cancelled

Edited by Skip997
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Yup. Also, the Eavis's do a whole lot of Q and As, and them playing a surprise would certainly get negative feedback

I know older acts have gotten away with it, but times are different now, and Pervy Lurch's stuff was in the last few years

If they ever release a new album, itll effect how they promote it

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup. Also, the Eavis's do a whole lot of Q and As, and them playing a surprise would certainly get negative feedback

I know older acts have gotten away with it, but times are different now, and Pervy Lurch's stuff was in the last few years

Theyve stopped the Q and As sadly ... used to enjoy those and gathering the questions beforehand on here  , think they were more a Michael thing tbh although Emily stood in for him when he was ill but last one was a few years before covid 

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I doubt AF would play Glastonbury anyway; they've never had the best relationship with the festival & if they were to play UK festivals it would be to headline medium size ones. That would have been the case even before the Win allegations came out.

Nonetheless, GnR headlined last year; a band that has far worse allegations and with much more anecdotal evidence and no-one batted an eyelid.

Edited by beau1

38 minutes ago, beau1 said:

They were playing tarped off arenas in the U.S with low ticket sales back in 2018 too as their star had already started to wane. They actually added selected shows to their 2022 U.S Tour.

I take your point that they may have done more in 2023, but thats what I mean about them not handling the situation particularly well. They just shut up and hoped things would go quiet. 

Has that worked? Possibly. But I do find the double standards a little weird.

Small beer compared to the allegations and revelations about Win, but Arcade Fire's status hasn't been helped by them not putting a decent album out for at least a decade.

36 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This is a really good point.

I very much doubt any big 60's or 70's band are totally innocent.

The Stones even wrote a song about sleeping with under age girls.

There is a tendency to cherry pick who is cancelled

It's not cherry picking at all.

Bands like the Stones and other big 60's/70's acts engaged in gross behaviour but there's also an acceptance (even if people don't like it) that it was a different time in terms of societal behaviour and what was acceptable 50 years ago is no longer now.

Win Butler has no such excuse, he engaged in gross behaviour when everyone knows unequivocally that it's wrong.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Small beer compared to the allegations and revelations about Win, but Arcade Fire's status hasn't been helped by them not putting a decent album out for at least a decade.

Agreed, and thats kinda my point. It's rather difficult to pin any lowering of status on Win, or the band's reaction to the allegations when they were already falling down the pecking order.