New security measures in place

brettredmayne

payment for the amendment to my nat express didn't actually go through so...to take us out of the worst of the queues should i stick with the 1.30am coach from Manc to get there at 7am...or twist on a 10.30am to get there at 4pm...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they haven't thought this through logistically....

Searching cars and everyone's bags.... it's physically impossible. I think they will just do more random searches as people would still be queuing to get in Thursday from Wednesday. 

When they searched last year at night they searched you way before the gate so people who were queuing up had already been searched. If they can do this at every gate at least everyone queuing will be searched before gates open and they can just go straight through, it's just if they search at the gate the delay will be massive 

I have a feeling that this may be an unpopular suggestion but at Leeds/Reading you had the option to buy a limited number of early bird passes so you could arrive a day earlier. Could the same work for Glasto? 

If they can split the entry over two days so no more than 100,000 on day one this would mean less people attempting to arrive at the same time.

9 minutes ago, liamium said:

payment for the amendment to my nat express didn't actually go through so...to take us out of the worst of the queues should i stick with the 1.30am coach from Manc to get there at 7am...or twist on a 10.30am to get there at 4pm...

I'm in a similar pickle except I'm not sure whether to get an earlier coach to arrive at 05:30 rather than 14:30. I'd then dump my stuff in a lockup, wander around site and grab some food waiting for the rest of my party to make it through the car queues.

I'm assuming we're thinking coach queues will still have priority?

28 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It all seems very sensible to me - and with our cooperation and patience it will be fine.

I'm not sure you'll be saying that if it's chucking down with rain, you're up to your ankles in mud and there's a humongous, non moving queue. It has the potential to be a bit of a disaster if the weather is bad (hopefully it won't be!) 

Edited by Mr.Tease

2 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

When they searched last year at night they searched you way before the gate so people who were queuing up had already been searched. If they can do this at every gate at least everyone queuing will be searched before gates open and they can just go straight through, it's just if they search at the gate the delay will be massive 

How would the searchers further down the line know you've already been searched though? Unless they dish out something to people who have already been searched.

10 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

would you believe our shrink-wrap was delivered today !!  anyone know any alternative uses for a roll of pallet wrap ?!

Can't you just wrap it... Knowing it's gonna be unwrapped... Take the wrap roll with you... Rewrap after security... Then continue on your way?

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I have a feeling that this may be an unpopular suggestion but at Leeds/Reading you had the option to buy a limited number of early bird passes so you could arrive a day earlier. Could the same work for Glasto? 

If they can split the entry over two days so no more than 100,000 on day one this would mean less people attempting to arrive at the same time.

Except that Glastonbury has become so established as a five-day event that I would suggest only a tiny minority would not want the full five-day ticket and there's be even more mayhem on T-Day...!

Ben

10 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

would you believe our shrink-wrap was delivered today !!  anyone know any alternative uses for a roll of pallet wrap ?!

Can't you just wrap it... Knowing it's gonna be unwrapped... Take the wrap roll with you... Rewrap after security... Then continue on your way?

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Except that Glastonbury has become so established as a five-day event that I would suggest only a tiny minority would not want the full five-day ticket and there's be even more mayhem on T-Day...!

Ben

Time for a 6th day then :D

5 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

They could issue temporary wristbands if they did queue searches - like when they checked our named tickets for Radiohead last year. You needed your wristband to get through to the entrance proper.

Ben

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Why do people need shrink wrap?! :huh:

What would we do with the land fill holes if we didn't have all the waste generated by unnecessary non degradable stuff.

Edited by whisty

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

bungies seem to often work their way loose , so wanted to try something different this year but back to plan B . 

Ah yes, makes sense. 

Thought you meant it was needed to hold all the stuff together, like those people who walk in with so much stuff it looks like they're moving house. 

2 minutes ago, GriZlore said:

could do ... but don't want to have to cut it all off and put it back again aargh !! I'm undecided . if i take bungies I'm sure I will have to undo all of these anyway  

10 hours ago, russycarps said:

What an unpleasant situation. It puts me off going a bit.

And you just know the coppers will gleefully use this opportunity to discriminate against anyone who looks a little bit alternative. Extra vigorous searches for those poor souls. And God help them when they find their measly stash.

Of course Cordelia and Rupert will have nothing to worry about.

10 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Oh, please shut up, you tit.

10 hours ago, russycarps said:

Relax, a mindless drone like you will have nothing to worry about

This has nothing to do with the police/security wanting an excuse to interfere more in people's festival. Let's face it, after the cuts that have taken place, the police could do with less work to do, not more.

It also has nothing to do with drugs. As always, anyone who takes drugs in with them runs the risk of being searched, and those drugs being confiscated if found. Nothing changed, there.

And it certainly has fuck all to do with the monumental chip on your shoulder about which socioeconomic group festival-goers come from.

The Festival will have been in discussion with the police and security teams in light of recent events, and will have decided on a course of action to keep the people attending as safe as they can. Can't see a problem with that. If that makes me a 'mindless drone' (seemingly your standard response to anyone who disagrees with you), then so be it.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

bungies seem to often work their way loose , so wanted to try something different this year but back to plan B . 

Said it before on this thread, ratchet straps are better than bungees, they won't work loose, good ones will last years and won't add to unnecessary plastic waste 

When I've been to festivals in Hyde Park before they have had airport style security to get through... surely they can just do something like this at Glastonbury? If so, it shouldn't take too long. Think how many people go though airports each day and security queues there are still half an hour, tops.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm not sure you'll be saying that if it's chucking down with rain, you're up to your ankles in mud and there's a humongous, non moving queue. It has the potential to be a bit of a disaster if the weather is bad (hopefully it won't be!) 

Well I could stand there and moan but that would not make the queue move any quicker.

Perhaps the queue could all sing Don't look back in Anger together to pass the time.

Seriously, I have no problem at all with it regardless of the weather.