Common misconceptions about Glasto from people who haven't been?

OneLittleFish

51 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I see your point here,but aren't you being just as bad as the people who we are talking about on this thread who can't understand why we choose to go to Glastonbury every year?

The difference is Glastonbury is the daddy of festivals, it's the pinnacle. If you have 2 grand to spend on a holiday and you choose Benidorm there's something wrong you. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I see your point here,but aren't you being just as bad as the people who we are talking about on this thread who can't understand why we choose to go to Glastonbury every year?

4 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

The difference is Glastonbury is the Dady of festivals, it's the pinnacle. If you have 2 grand to spend on a holiday and you choose Benidorm there's something wrong you. 

So yes then?

The only thing better about Benidorm Vs Glastonbury is there's no mud in Benidorm. However last time I went it was full of the people you wouldn't want to see at Glastonbury. 

So if they want to spend money going there instead of Glasto then that's less competition for tickets.

22 minutes ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

I think the real problem is that Benidorm is objectively shite

Go on holiday to get away from British people ffs

I don't agree mate. I say go on holiday to do what you enjoy. If that is going to a place that has a British culture but hot weather then so be it. I've never been to Benidorm but I know plenty that have and they all enjoyed it, although 2 grand must be at the top end of what it costs to go there I would imagine. At the end of the day there isn't any point not being true to what you like.

The difference with Glasto in imo is, that as long as you can get through the camping there is literally something for everyone. No matter if you prefer to go out on a pub crawl, just look around, see bands, dance about all over the place or just chill out. Whatever you choose to do the atmosphere is what makes it brilliant.

The atmosphere at Glastonbury. Whenever I try to explain to people who haven't been, why this makes the place so special I fail miserably. It sounds really lame when I then say you have to experience it to truly understand but imo it is true.

Hang on, depending on how long it's for, 2k for an all inclusive holiday isn't necessarily that bad. My holiday was 1.2k to Lanzarote for 5 nights and that was a good price, although admittedly that included a 4 yr old. I barely put my hand in my pocket the whole time. If they were going for 2 weeks, then 2k is a bargain!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

22 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Glasto thingy tweeted this link a few days ago to superimpose the site over any location. I did it for the current hometown and posted a screen grab on fb to much amazement.

http://ocean.gsp8181.co.uk/glasto/index.php?location=Worthy+farm+Pilton+somerset

So I did the map thing & put it on Canary Wharf (where I work) & the Isle of Dogs - it's pretty much the same size! Lots of amazed faces here as they can now understand it.

IMG_0065.PNG

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Mainly the utter bewilderment delivered by my partner when I studiously survey the Glastonbury webcam. She knows it means a lot to me to be there, but doesn't understand it. All credit to her, she tries...

"I know it means a lot to you. There are some great bands there!"

"Yes, but it's not really about the music, even. It's hard to describe, but it's the place itself."

"It does look lovely! Lovely and green."

"More than that, though. It's the people; the coming together of everyone for that time."

"See that surprises me, because you're quite introverted."

"Well exactly. How amazing is it that I can be comfortable surrounded by so many people, so close? It's about the unity of spirit. That we're all there for five days of great times and the journey through the gates doesn't just feel like entering somewhere wonderful, it feels like leaving everything else behind..."

At this point we both glaze over, for different reasons.

Upvoted you for that old fruit, I would just like to add to that though,

If its dry, if its dry ! lol :)

I just think each to their own. I like Glastonbury, so don't really expect people to question why I go. Just like I don't question when people spend even more money to just sit by a pool all day. Festivals have become my holiday. I'd rather spend the money doing that than going on a beach holiday.

I have a mate who hates it when we all get excited around Glastonbury time. He thinks its full of pop artists and nothing else musically exciting, and that people only go to take photos of themselves 'experiencing' Glastonbury and then never go again.

On 2017-5-8 at 0:20 PM, Smeble said:

You still go there? Dread to think what little extras you now get with your meat.

Yes. Still do go there it's a fantastic butchers to be fair just this one fella can be a little too acerbic to the customers so my retort was a little payback, especially after insinuating Glastonbury is full of knob heads which we all know there's only a few...... Rest of staff in there are really nice.

There are people at work who look at me as if I'm completely nuts when I talk about taking my small children to Glastonbury, like they think the kids might get killed and eaten or something. To be honest though, I don't really care whether people understand it or not. In a way I sort of feel slightly sorry for them, but that's about it.

Regarding the smell, if you think you don't stink after the festival just try smelling your clothes after you've had a shower at home. Absolutely rank.

And as for watching it on TV, why bother going anywhere when you can just watch a video on Youtube? It's difficult to explain just how different it is in person compared to watching it on telly or looking at pictures. I just went and looked back at some photos I took a couple of years ago from the top of the hill on Wednesday evening, but it's just a pale flat hint of what it was like to stand up there with the festival filling your entire field of vision, among hundreds of happy people watching the sun go down.

I've never been to the US, but I imagine the difference is similar to standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon vs looking at a photo.

2 hours ago, evilduck said:

I have a mate who hates it when we all get excited around Glastonbury time. He thinks its full of pop artists and nothing else musically exciting, and that people only go to take photos of themselves 'experiencing' Glastonbury and then never go again.

TBF there probably is a fair few that fit this category :huh: