Common misconceptions about Glasto from people who haven't been?

OneLittleFish

1 minute ago, EamerRed said:

Really good idea for a thread this.

To be honest, and it sounds brutal and arrogant, but if you're willing to write off a festival instantly because of the mud and/or toilets or everything else that's bleated about in clickbait articles, then you're not really the right person for Glasto, and in some ways might actually show the type of person you are.

I really do find it frustrating when I say I'm looking forward to Glasto and you hear, 'yeah but the headliners are rubbish'. That's fine, stay in your bubble mate, it gives me a marginally better chance of getting a ticket next time.

Regarding the toilets and the mud which seems to be peoples biggest beef.   My later father bless him used to say

"Ivan if you had been born in a different era you would have spent fours years in the trenches being shot at by Germans "

So the mud and toilets don't bother me as life could have dealt us all a very different hand !

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, sedra said:

"Aren't you too old now to keep going to Glastonbury? ( I'm 56!) 

"you're not going to Glastonbury again are you? ( 19th this year!) 

" Why do you still want to go to Glastonbury at your age? " 

THIS! 

Plus "oooh, I could never go 5 days without showering", "how do you cope with all the mud and those awful toilets?", "did you see [crap pop/MOR headliner on Pyramid], they were amazing!", "that band you're raving on about sounded awful on TV - rubbish, paying all that money too", "does your mum REALLY like Grime [Yes] - I can't believe she went to see Skepta/LadyLeshurr/Stormzy/P Money etc?"....and the best: "HOW MUCH for a ticket?!!!".

Don't want the sorts who ask these questions at Glasto TBH :drinks:

I find it really frustrating that I can't get across how truly amazing Glastonbury is.  Now matter how much you say you can't do it justice and I think the large part of that is the general vibe/buzz/atmosphere that surrounds the festival that is difficult to convey.

So when I get the usual comments as listed on this thread I just smile, ignore them and feel all smug knowing that I will have the best weekend ever. 

Why are you going on Wednesday?

You didn't see the headliner? What were you doing then?

It can't be that big (is is actually one of the hardest things to explain, how much is on and how long it can take to get from e.g. Pyramid to Park, especially in the mud)

The food must be terrible

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, I guess. For some people. Not for me, I've got be honest, it's probably the single most important thing. Good weather far outweighs any other consideration for me, even the lineup.  I'm bound to have a good time if the weather is dry and sunny, it's maybe possible, but unlikely for me to enjoy it nearly as much in the rain, or the mud. 

I agree that good weather is preferable to bad but surely you're not suggesting that if a week before the festival the weather forecast was for bad weather you'd cancel and decide not to go.  All I'm saying is that if the forecast is for rain you take appropriate clothing.  I'd still rather have a Glastonbury in the rain than this year's option which is no Glastonbury for me unless I hit lucky in the secret resales.

I also have to admit that these days I caravan, which makes coping with bad weather a lot easier than tenting.

Most people who make negative comments to me is that they couldn't do the camping. I tell them it's not camping, it's just sleeping in a tent - that's not actually camping! :-) Also the usual"wouldn't be able to go without a shower for 5 days". Don't know why they think they're different to the vast majority of the 180000 people that go and have a baby wipe wash. I don't think I've ever stood next to anyone who smells! And newbies always seem to think the best tactic is to drink as little as possible to avoid using the toilets. I don't' think they're that bad now they have got rid of the Turdis's. If people would just stop hovering they'd be a whole lot better!

To be fair the whole washing thing is an odd thing. 5 days without washing might seem grim but I always feel weirdly refreshed having using wipes. And as 'midlifecrisis' says, I've never noticed anyone else smell at Glasto, but I don't know if that's just because we all do and you don't notice it, or if it's genuinely not that bad. :lol:

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

"Who wants to go to Glastonbury with their over priced beer and rubbish food"

There is no telling people the beer is actually the same price as the average pub and the food is actually exceptional.

Or cheaper beer than 90% of other festivals given that you can actually bring your own.

And yeah, Glasto food is amaze.

Edited by EamerRed

2 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

. I don't think I've ever stood next to anyone who smells!

No one ever smells inside the fence - but once you get out and stop off at the service station on the way home then you notice that you haven't washed for 5 days.

9 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

It can't be that big (is is actually one of the hardest things to explain, how much is on and how long it can take to get from e.g. Pyramid to Park, especially in the mud)

Glasto thingy tweeted this link a few days ago to superimpose the site over any location. I did it for the current hometown and posted a screen grab on fb to much amazement.

http://ocean.gsp8181.co.uk/glasto/index.php?location=Worthy+farm+Pilton+somerset

12 minutes ago, bellboy said:

No one ever smells inside the fence - but once you get out and stop off at the service station on the way home then you notice that you haven't washed for 5 days.

Lol! We always stop at the Tesco a couple of miles away on the A361 on the way home for porcelain toilets and a running hot tap to wash my hands . Always get a bit freaked out by the "Wild Woman of Borneo" that is staring back at me in the mirror!

I find attitudes are vastly different now to what they were when I first started going.

When I went to my first in 2000, the very same people (family mainly) who looked at me utterly aghast are the ones who now say its on some sort of bucket list for them.

I think toilets and wet wipe washes are the main thing they struggle to get their noggins around.

Glasto conversations for me are always the same. ' Going to Glastonbury again?'. ' So you like mud do you?' - Pause - ' So who are the headliners this year?' I have even given up saying that I rarely see a headliner. There's usually just a blank look when you try to explain what a huge amount of choice there is.

33 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

I'm relieved that your profile states male and your not indeed my wife as those first 2 sentences are exactly what my other half would say only the second one about headliners would be in a very suspicious tone 

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Bit of a knob head retort which probably reinforced his opinion that its full of knobheads to be honest. 

Hold on now, a call someone a knobhead for calling someone a knobhead and the whole world has knobs on their head.  We need to break the cycle!

Edited by stuartbert two hats