Coachella 2017 Live Stream

BlackHole2006

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe they asked and he said no.

I very much think the headliners this year were the first choices.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

nb Though I do think it more likely that this year's headliners were arranged 2 / 2+ years back.

Yep. I think that's a problem though. If you're booking that far out you'll tend to go for the safe option, and it doesn't give you the opportunity to react if something comes out of left field.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye at Glasto and also at Coachella was better than that. I've said this in the other thread, but he played half of the set playing songs from an album 2 days ago - probably 90% of the people on the crowd havent heard the album yet.

That Future thing was obviously just a way for him to get a break in the middle of the show as well.

It's not hard to see why Glastonbury seem to be going for the safer mega headliners rather than taking risks considering almost every time they've taken a risk in recent years it's somewhat backfired - both Jay Z and Kanye were far more established than Kendrick and look what happened there, and even the likes of Arctic Monkeys in 2007 fell on it's arse performance wise. Kendrick being booked to headline would be met with a series of 'who?' and the usual 'rappers can't headline Glastonbury!!!!!!!!!!!'. Might as well book Coldplay again and again - the anger about that is confined to forums like this rather than overly vocal idiots making petitions. If Kendrick ever does headline it won't be for a few years when he's already in that megastar bracket in the UK.

15 minutes ago, jparx said:

I very much think the headliners this year were the first choices.

Yep. I think that's a problem though. If you're booking that far out you'll tend to go for the safe option, and it doesn't give you the opportunity to react if something comes out of left field.

Booking Glastonbury headliners is probably like piloting an oil tanker - takes a long time to do anything and turning around is nigh on impossible.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

It's not hard to see why Glastonbury seem to be going for the safer mega headliners rather than taking risks considering almost every time they've taken a risk in recent years it's somewhat backfired - both Jay Z and Kanye were far more established than Kendrick and look what happened there, and even the likes of Arctic Monkeys in 2007 fell on it's arse performance wise. Kendrick being booked to headline would be met with a series of 'who?' and the usual 'rappers can't headline Glastonbury!!!!!!!!!!!'. Might as well book Coldplay again and again - the anger about that is confined to forums like this rather than overly vocal idiots making petitions. If Kendrick ever does headline it won't be for a few years when he's already in that megastar bracket in the UK.

yeah, i swear I'm still holding my grudge on that kanye petition guy. If the info were correct, he robbed us a chance  to see Prince headline that year

46 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Jay Z was pretty much regarded as a success wasn't he? 

10 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Ezra's brilliant as ever yeah, that tiny crowd watching him is another reminder of how much Coachella can piss off though.

You realise not everyone has to like what you like everywhere?, it's a pretty silly comment tbh.

9 hours ago, Madyaker said:

They sound good but jesus that crowd is tiny. The stage times at this festival make no sense. It's baking hot in the middle of the day so acts that are on early are bound to get small crowds because it's too hot to stand out in the sun for an hour and a half. They should start later and finish later. Everything finishing up after midnight is a bit crap. Why don't they have any late night dance areas?

The low humidity levels make it much easier to deal with, even at 7/8pm it's not cold generally. There was one in 3 nights that around half 7/8pm I took the chance of a gap between bands to go and change from shorts to jeans and put a light jacket on but the others the bands finished around midnight and shorts/t-shirt were still fine and by arriving about 7:30am their time I think it got us to the 2nd row outside the entry gate so was literally a minute or between car camp and entrance to the fest...that was awesome. The time the heat issue would kick in for people not used to their heat generally is upon beer consumption etc.....This is probably the reason I'd never do Bonnaroo as it's over to the east, there is way more dust and the heat there is much more humid, so while you can walk about anywhere inside drinking I feel dealing with the heat alone would be difficult enough, it's properly in the dessert there whereas Coachella is the Californian dessert and LA etc have a lesser humidity than Florida side anyway. What you didn't get was dickheads like at Reading etc, you might get people taking seflies all day etc for social media but they aren't making/truing to make the time shit for everyone else. No one throwing cans of piss or beer into other camps etc....even the young one's, we were camped next to an older couple and some younger lads and a lot of them were into the edm stuff but just had a drink and am laugh and made no shit, I've never got speaking to neighbours at a festival easier if I'm honest.

9 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

You have to remember Coachella has these huge (and expensive) VIP tents so lots of people will be in these during the day especially, as they are air conditioned, have their own bar and have real toilets. The peeps out in the sun are your Hoi Poloi so to speak. ;)

BTW I have to say I am really enjoying these younger bands like Carseat Headrest, Ezra and Whitney.

Nice rooms them, seen a couple of acoustic shows in the tents that anyone can go in though. Maybe that was a VIP tents as you seemed to need a pass code to enter, unsure if that was here say. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I don't care what y'all say - Glastonbury have dropped a bollock not booking Kung Fu Kenny to headline this year. That set was immense and honestly put Kanye's shitshow to shame. Kendrick is the most relevant artist in music today and should be headlining this year because of that - fuck record/ticket sales or plays on Radio 1. In 2/3 years time it will have lost some of that relevance - the time to strike was this year but they played it safe.

So what if he would draw a smaller crowd than most headliners? This guy is on the cutting edge and WILL become a superstar sooner than later. They've missed the boat big time.

The most relevant artist in music today?.....is that what you said about Kanye back then too? I don't dislike him though, he isn't a complete dickhead!

42 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Jay Z was pretty much regarded as a success wasn't he? 

To a point - I wasn't there but after his fantastic entrance and first few songs don't people seem to agree that it kind of fell apart and wasn't all that memorable? At least that's what I've seen a couple of people say. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

To a point - I wasn't there but after his fantastic entrance and first few songs don't people seem to agree that it kind of fell apart and wasn't all that memorable? At least that's what I've seen a couple of people say. 

I believe that was Russy's review of proceedings but not the majority.

The more I see of this festival the more it seems like the `anti glastonbury` or what glastonbury would be like if it was purly about money and celebs, no decent character of the site, no history, to many regulations, to much of a fashion parade, hordes of plastic plastic people and tbh....not even that good of a lineup unless you count radiohead and king gizzard......

Youd have to pay me a lot of money to mix with the kind of airheaded narcissistic people im seeing them interview on the videos around the site let alone me buy a ticket every guy look and sounds like they are straight off the set of jersey shore every girl looks and sounds like shes straight out of the most stereotypical hollywood modelling agency definitely not somewhere id consider a `good time`........

Edited by waterfalls212434

6 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

The more I see of this festival the more it seems like the `anti glastonbury` or what glastonbury would be like if it was purly about money and celebs, no decent character of the site, no history, to many regulations, to much of a fashion parade, hordes of plastic plastic people and tbh....not even that good of a lineup unless you count radiohead and king gizzard......

Youd have to pay me a lot of money to mix with the kind of airheaded narcissistic people im seeing them interview on the videos around the site let alone me buy a ticket every guy look and sounds like they are straight off the set of jersey shore every girl looks and sounds like shes straight out of the most stereotypical hollywood modelling agency definitely not somewhere id consider a `good time`........

Yeah, I kind of wish some of these artists wouldn't headline/play Coachella - but if the rumours are true (that they pay their headliners upwards of 4.5 million dollars), they would be a fool not to. (Whereas If I remember correctly Glasto only pay their headliners a max of half a million pounds.)

My mate flies over every year for it and loves it. Has met loads of people over there that are good crack. I'm sure its got its fair share of dicks, but name a festival that hasnt? Theyll just be a different type of person youd avoid. It's my 40th next year we're looking at either this, Bonaroo or the New Orleans jazz fest.

The regulations about booze isn't ideal, but that's the States innit!

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

To be honest, I think most people think he smashed it. Wasn't my favourite set ever but the crowd seemed up for it throughout.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

and even the likes of Arctic Monkeys in 2007 fell on it's arse performance wise. 

Again, I think most people quite enjoyed that. They were on such an upward trajectory it was quite a big moment for lots of people.

I think it's important to remember that people are a lot more critical on here and in music forums etc than in real life.

Edited by strummer77

49 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Was he centre stage during inception? I enjoyed that.

How on earth does one become friends with Johnny Marrs son?

I haven't watched all of it yet, just watched the first few songs. But he's the one with the blonde hair and had the round hat on.

I was in university with him (Sheffield) :lol:, he left about half way through his course though to focus on his band (called Man Made), and I kept in touch, had his band stay at mine back home in the UK last time they played in my hometown last year. Lovely guy. 

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Yet it's one of the most friendly festivals I have been to, it's very clean too. You want a toilet clean on Sunday afternoon....you will get a clean toilet on Sunday afternoon. The UK is full of fake people everywhere etc.

Lineup wise you are correct, it's gone right downhill for a few years now.

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

My mate flies over every year for it and loves it. Has met loads of people over there that are good crack. I'm sure its got its fair share of dicks, but name a festival that hasnt? Theyll just be a different type of person youd avoid. It's my 40th next year we're looking at either this, Bonaroo or the New Orleans jazz fest.

The regulations about booze isn't ideal, but that's the States innit!

Coming from someone who has been to Bonnaroo (but not the other tw), I would go for one of the other two. Bonnaroo is fun and all but the setting doesn't hold a candle to Nola or Socal.

5 hours ago, jparx said:

I don't care what y'all say - Glastonbury have dropped a bollock not booking Kung Fu Kenny to headline this year. That set was immense and honestly put Kanye's shitshow to shame. Kendrick is the most relevant artist in music today and should be headlining this year because of that - fuck record/ticket sales or plays on Radio 1. In 2/3 years time it will have lost some of that relevance - the time to strike was this year but they played it safe.

So what if he would draw a smaller crowd than most headliners? This guy is on the cutting edge and WILL become a superstar sooner than later. They've missed the boat big time.

Relevant to who and to why? Now I have listened to TPAB like I said I would to @swede but I can honestly say it is not relevant to me in the slightest. There is absolutely nothing new to this what so ever. It is just an endless procession of "fuck you, motherfucker, you a ho-ass nigga". This was done decades ago by Public Enemy and NWA. At least NWA had the tunes to go with the obscenity.

Now I can appreciate he is this generations big rapper and fair enough, it seems exciting  in contrast to the x factor shite they have been brought up with. Yet if you grew up in a generation where Biggie, Tupac, Snoop and so on were really singing about struggle then Kendrick seems a little watered down and sanitised to me.

Now fair play to the lad, he seems to be coming at things from a slighly different angle than the gangster rappers from the past. He does not glamourise it  and seems to be against it.

But his songs say nothing to me about my life. They don't seem to address the state of the world. From a musical point of view there is nothing groundbreaking or new and I am not really keen on how his vocals do not seem to fit the music.

Fair enough he is this generations big rapper. For me personally there is nothing that really grabs me in and makes me want to continue listening.It gets a bit boring listening to every lyric ending in nigga, or bitch or strap.

Edited by eastynh

9 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Relevant to who and to why? Now I have listened to TPAB like I said I would to @swede but I can honestly say it is not relevant to me in the slightest. There is absolutely nothing new to this what so ever. It is just an endless procession of "fuck you, motherfucker, you a ho-ass nigga". This was done decades ago by Public Enemy and NWA. At least NWA had the tunes to go with the obscenity.

Now I can appreciate he is this generations big rapper and fair enough, it seems exciting  in contrast to the x factor shite they have been brought up with. Yet if you grew up in a generation where Biggie, Tupac, Snoop and so on were really singing about struggle then Kendrick seems a little watered down and sanitised to me.

Now fair play to the lad, he seems to be coming at things from a slighly different angle than the gangster rappers from the past. He does not glamourise it  and seems to be against it.

But his songs say nothing to me about my life. They don't seem to address the state of the world. From a musical point of view there is nothing groundbreaking or new and I am not really keen on how his vocals do not seem to fit the music.

Fair enough he is this generations big rapper. For me personally there is nothing that really grabs me in and makes me want to continue listening.It gets a bit boring listening to every lyric ending in nigga, or bitch or strap.

Roll us yer cap, Grandad.