2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1975 aren't my cup of tea at all, but I think the festival really needs to start and cement new headline acts and champion new music again so that would be good in my book. Much better than Arctics anyway. I'm sure they wouldn't turn down AM's if they had the chance to book them, but throwing in a newer, first time headliner really makes the trio look a LOT better. Three repeat headliners with 5 previous headline slots (yeh?) between them is a bit lame.

Gaga would be my choice for 3rd headliner but I just don't see it at all.

My money is on 1975/Stormzy, The Cure, Macca

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

I suppose an 'offer' is still quite a leap to 'booked'? Presumably if IoW came in with a big offer and exclusive (and genuinely exclusive) then they might take that instead? 

They do fit a neat Glastonbury storyline of having played in Williams Green and worked their way up to headline pyramid.

Yep.

My take is that they'll also have an offer from Reading/Leeds, and they might be forced to pick one or the other as R/L always tries to book its headline acts as exclusives. An offer from R/L is likely to be for significantly more money, too. 

So if they do have a Glastonbury offer, that doesn't mean they'd take it. 

2 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

As much as The 1975 could headline.... they could also headline the Other Stage as well. They're very much in that in-between size of band I think, so I wouldn't say any info on them definitely playing is a definitive headliner slot. Unless anyone knows more.

it could be, yep - but I reckon if that was the offer they'd have booted it out of the park as they're likely to have better offers.

Just now, eFestivals said:

it could be, yep - but I reckon if that was the offer they'd have booted it out of the park as they're likely to have better offers.

Are you thinking a straight shootout between them and Stormzy for the Friday, at this point?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Yep.

My take is that they'll also have an offer from Reading/Leeds, and they might be forced to pick one or the other as R/L always tries to book its headline acts as exclusives. An offer from R/L is likely to be for significantly more money, too. 

Surely that's crazy talk? When was the last time an act really propelled themselves to stardom from headlining Reading and Leeds? We must be going back over a decade at this point surely? Glastonbury would put them at a different level, and the offer to play G won't come around every day. Play G, bump up your profile massively, then get even more out of R+L next year!

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

word I've heard is that they have an offer. Can't really see it being for less than headline.

The 1975 would be mental to not accept it at this stage of their career. Taking a few extra quid from Reading or IOW would be very short sighted.

I saw the 1975 on the Pyramid whenever that was and can't remember anything about it other than they were crap. Up there with the least memorable act I have ever watched.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Surely that's crazy talk? When was the last time an act really propelled themselves to stardom from headlining Reading and Leeds? We must be going back over a decade at this point surely? Glastonbury would put them at a different level, and the offer to play G won't come around every day. Play G, bump up your profile massively, then get even more out of R+L next year!

I can't imagine their record label letting them turn down a Glastonbury headline slot.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Is everyone else enjoying this? As much as I’d prefer some headliners over others, Glastonbury is back!!! Yee-hah!!! 

Yep this is all part of it for me. Glastonbury is more than just the 5 days ?.

Also appreciating Neil's info as ever which makes this whole process far more interesting too.

1 minute ago, EamerRed said:

Yep this is all part of it for me. Glastonbury is more than just the 5 days ?.

Also appreciating Neil's info as ever which makes this whole process far more interesting too.

Yep. Neil casually wandering in here mid Gaga-AM-Stormzy-etc and dropping a 1975 hand grenade.

In The 1975 and The Cure you potentially have two headliners who could be more popular with the folk watching at home than those actually in the field.

Given the rabid nature of their fans and how quickly they sell arenas out we should all be grateful any rumours around The 1975 haven't blown up before the tickets were put on sale.

9 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

I love the wild speculation on here. Acts both being considered and ruled out just on hearsay. Let's face it even acts that have shows elsewhere on the same weekend can't be completely ruled out. 

I think they will probably follow a similar pattern to previous years, a modern pop act/hip hop/urban, a Glastonbury favourite and an act that are fully established but also still current. 

With that in mind I think any 3 of,  Sam Smith, Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Stormzy, The Cure, Mumford and Sons, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Killers or Paul McCartney.

My guess from those would be Lady Gaga, Mumford and Sons and Paul McCartney.

Have Liberty X been ruled out? Or is that just Hear'say?

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yep.

The fella on the R+L boards says they’re ‘tied down’, or words to that effect, so it could only really be both couldn’t it?

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

This is kind of a blinkered view on things. It is a big festival that means a lot to people, offering two substantial paydays and usually sorted a long while in advance. Matt Healy even said that they’d headline Reading and Leeds and then headline Glastonbury.

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

they might think it'll be better for their career long-term to cosy-up to Live Nation.

Plus it'll be more wonga. I would think it can be quite difficult to convince a group of people that they should all take less money than they could otherwise get.

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Muse, biffy, arcade fire, queens of the stone age all used reading as a stepping stone to bigger festival slots. It's a good one to start out with!

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Id never heard of these guys until I saw them as a rumour on this thread a few weeks back. 

You’ve not missed anything. They’re so dreary.

I’m in danger of having no Pyramid headliners to watch the way it’s going. I’m so in for Gaga though 

Enjoying the thread massively, all the same.

I wonder if they can top the excitement of the logo painted on the field or the secret Frome gig.