2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

11 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Ehhh Take That are no more tragic than Ed Sheeran. 

Musically probably not but Sheeran was booked because he’s relevant, hit a sales peak within living memory and appeals to the Radio 1 crowd. Take That tick none of those boxes, so there’s no reason for them to be booked except as a cheap and lazy option to appeal to the picnic chair brigade.

18 hours ago, Bradders said:

Stormzy headlining Snowbombing shows he won’t be headlining Glastonbury, if people still believed he could.

The #merkytakeover is what Stormzy has curated the last couple of years at Ibiza rocks  so the slot at snowbombing isn't a Stormzy headline show as such

Let me get this clear, so Kylie is fawned over and has to make up for missing whenever it was and is forgiven her SAW period presumably. For Take That to play hell must freeze over. Guess a boy band won't appeal in the same way to some of you lads as kylie does, wouldnt look as good in hot pants for a start. :lol:Having said that, this forum then goes mad for a single member of an old boy band who wrote catchy pop songs?

If Spice Girls reformed (please God, no) then headliner (as has been rumoured in press at least previously) or legend?...if headliner then what makes them any different to Take That?

I would say how quickly their shows sold out last week shows they are still of relevance today. Different target audience to many on here of course, and you'll probably say not the audience you want to attract to Glastonbury, but look hard enough and you'll find that audience is already there.

I don't think they are ever likely to be asked to do it, but I think they would put out a fantastic performance of good old sing along tunes.

If being a knob head was a barrier to headlining, the pool would be small indeed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I would say how quickly their shows sold out last week shows they are still of relevance today. Different target audience to many on here of course, and you'll probably say not the audience you want to attract to Glastonbury, but look hard enough and you'll find that audience is already there

I doubt the audience going to those shows want to go to Glastonbury, it's very popular but it's not like the worldwide population are just waiting for their band to play so they can go, most people are over festivals now.

There's no indication the band want to do it.

There's very little indication most Glastonbury goers want it.

The Eavises have never claimed to want it to happen.

It would be an odd booking, I'm not sure about who it would be for.

Edited by priest17

18 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

If being a knob head was a barrier to headlining, the pool would be small indeed.

Of course, but there’s being a knobhead and then there’s being Gary Barlow levels of knobhead. It would just feel all kinds of wrong for someone as awful and fake as that to parade around the hallowed Pyramid Stage, even allowing for the fact Paloma Faith and Serge from Kasabian have also recently done so.

23 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Let me get this clear, so Kylie is fawned over and has to make up for missing whenever it was and is forgiven her SAW period presumably. For Take That to play hell must freeze over. Guess a boy band won't appeal in the same way to some of you lads as kylie does, wouldnt look as good in hot pants for a start. :lol:Having said that, this forum then goes mad for a single member of an old boy band who wrote catchy pop songs?

If Spice Girls reformed (please God, no) then headliner (as has been rumoured in press at least previously) or legend?...if headliner then what makes them any different to Take That?

I would say how quickly their shows sold out last week shows they are still of relevance today. Different target audience to many on here of course, and you'll probably say not the audience you want to attract to Glastonbury, but look hard enough and you'll find that audience is already there.

I don't think they are ever likely to be asked to do it, but I think they would put out a fantastic performance of good old sing along tunes.

Kylie 1990's reinvention (hanging with the Primals, Manics, recording with Nick Cave etc, releasing some bangers) lends her a degree of credibility Take That and the Spice Girls just don't have. I could see TT doing the Legends spot in the future, although Neil (I think) said recently that they have no desire to play Glastonbury anyway.

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can’t see Dua Lipa subbing, third down for me.

Could go either way but if they can't book female acts on the top line...surely they'd want to try and put them in as high as can be and mix it up down the line-up. I say that, U2, Mozza and Biffy Clyro were in a row.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

What do you rabble think about Take That headlining? I don't mean in terms of musical taste, but in terms of likelihood.

They're touring until early June next year, have a back catalogue of pop staples, and have previously said they'd love to.

They'd possibly create more of a tantrum than Kanye West but they're arguably more qualified.

I genuinely believe I have a better chance of headlining than they do. 

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Beatles aren’t just an old boy band though are they?

So what were they? Usually touted as being one of the first boy bands. Girls went mad for their looks/image as much as the music. I wanna hold your hand for example not what I would describe as rock'n'roll. 

I feel I'm opening a can of worms here. :huh:

2 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

So what were they? Usually touted as being one of the first boy bands. Girls went mad for their looks/image as much as the music. I wanna hold your hand for example not what I would describe as rock'n'roll. 

Yes you are! Whilst they were the biggest pop act ever, they were a great rock & roll band. The girls went mad for the Stones too, and they were hardly a manufactured boy-band either.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Kylie 1990's reinvention (hanging with the Primals, Manics, recording with Nick Cave etc, releasing some bangers) lends her a degree of credibility Take That and the Spice Girls just don't have. I could see TT doing the Legends spot in the future, although Neil (I think) said recently that they have no desire to play Glastonbury anyway.

Fair enough if they don't want to do it, but Take That have had a few bangers since they reformed. It could also be argued that if she got credibility through working with others, as suggested, it's not really her own talent is it? Love him or hate him, Gary is talented at what he does, and that has been said by his peers not me.

17 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Lennon, McCartney and Harrison each had ten times the songwriting chops of Gary Barlow, and The Beatles had all three of them! The marketing of TT can be compared to the early days of The Beatles on a basic and very simplified level but the latter grew into something far more credible and interesting than Take That could ever be. There’s no comparison worth talking about, before you even get onto the legacy The Beatles left behind which continues to influence music 50 years later.

Sorry if this sounds like mansplaining btw.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

8 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Yes you are! Whilst they were the biggest pop act ever, they were a great rock & roll band. The girls went mad for the Stones too, and they were hardly a manufactured boy-band either.

Lyrically and performance wise the Stones were clearly different to the Beatles. Whilst maybe they came together naturally, Epstein created a clean cut image for them at the start, and their early stuff is more pop than rock surely. Ground-breaking, undoubtedly, it was different for the time, something Take That will never have granted.

I will say now I have no deep knowledge of Beatles history, just my opinion.