Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

6 hours ago, incident said:

Basically, I think it's all down to paranoia over what happened in 2005. That year the ground was as dry as anything, then the rain came and areas flooded.

Of course I think the bigger factor there was having a months worth of rain in the space of 4 hours. Last year there was a similar amount of rainfall in a similar amount of time about 2 weeks before the festival - landing on ground that was already moist and still screwed the ground up up at least as badly and arguably moreso.

Whereas in 2005 the ground was able to dry out pretty quickly after the flood in most of the site - by Sunday the only mud left was at the bottom of slopes where water had settled.

So yeah I think it's something that's at best massively overstated on here and quite possibly bollocks.

The other big difference is the drainage. Quite a lot of rain fell in 2014, but most of it just drained away. 

10 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

This dry ground thing baffles me.......surly if the ground is bone dry any water is going to soak right in, the ground is going to be at its maximum capacity to absorb as itll be bone dry, far better then it being wet already then it raining again and it just sitting there as the grounds so wet it cant take anymore? 

or am I wrong? 

I think when the ground is too dry and hard, the rain will run off instead of soaking through properly, causing lots of surface water and mud. If the ground is the happy medium between too dry and too wet, the water will drain properly and ensure less mud.

10 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

This dry ground thing baffles me.....

Thats because its a load of bollocks. 

Theres a load of variables like temperature, humidity and especially wind which is great for drying up rain. In 05 two months of rain fell in 4 hours or something. Into a valley. Once a century stuff. 

People asking for rain before the festival because it will help soak up more rain are as insane as that Jackone guy who kidnaps children and makes lampshades from their skin. 

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Willing to go with you on that!

So when does this thread really start heating up usually  (pardon the pun)? Once we hit June?

Usually when @The Nal starts posting apocalyptic pictures of flooding etc and pronounces we're all fucked! 

1 hour ago, evilduck said:

I think when the ground is too dry and hard, the rain will run off instead of soaking through properly, causing lots of surface water and mud. If the ground is the happy medium between too dry and too wet, the water will drain properly and ensure less mud.

The festival increases its drainage capacity every year.  Judging by 2014, it can handle a lot of water, provided there is somewhere for it to go (unlilke 2016).  We want dry ground, so it runs off and drains away.  Why on earth would we want it to "soak" anywhere.  Soak is not a word I'm interested in when it comes to the ground at Worthy!

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Thats because its a load of bollocks. 

Theres a load of variables like temperature, humidity and especially wind which is great for drying up rain. In 05 two months of rain fell in 4 hours or something. Into a valley. Once a century stuff. 

People asking for rain before the festival because it will help soak up more rain are as insane as that Jackone guy who kidnaps children and makes lampshades from their skin. 

Today is a momentous day.

@The Nal has pronounced on The Weather ThreadTM and all good and sane people are in complete agreement.

Praise be.

I don't give a monkey's if there's not a single drop between now and 0835h on Monday 26 June 2017.

I like dust.

Well done, Nal. We love you.

Ben

Dust is a serious issue. Lovely and warm in the north of England right now but there's a bit of a breeze and it's certainly kicking the dust up already and it's mainly tarmac where I am. If we are heading into a drought then expect a lot of dust. 

Can't someone invent a time machine and let us know about the ground conditions in advance. 

2 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

if the ground is that dry it will crack up anyway which will actually help it soak up the water of any rainfall

Depends on the type of soil. Glastonbury is on clay which is non porous material. When dry it's like blacktop, the rain will just run off the surface. That's why you get higher chances of flash floods during hot periods, because the water just isn't soaking in to the ground. Flooding in the winter usually happens due to persistent rain and the water table rising.

33 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

No idea if it will reach Glasto but I'm currently at work in Brizzle and it is chucking it down.

How many days of rain will it take before all our worry about the ground being too dry turns into "oh shit, its not gonna dry out!"...?

Place your bets now kids!

• Upvote 1

One of the more recognised weather charts (gfs) will have the festival start to come in to view as of June 7th. 

However that far in advance is pure fantasy stuff so large pinch of salt is required. 

It also updates 4 times daily (each being called a run) and these can vary each time hence the rollercoaster this thread inevitably becomes each year.

Strap in, try to relax and remember at the end of it all you'll probably be to fucked to notice the weather anyway!

• Upvote 1