Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

It was pretty well understood that to avoid a mud bath last year that the weather needed to stay dry and sunny for the duration of the festival.  
The state of the ground in the lead up was so bad that even though the weather during the festival wasn't really bad at all - it was bad enough to cause all the mud.  
Without the poor weather pre-festival it would of been very similar to 2015 which was extremely acceptable.
The weather pre and during festival are intrinsically linked.

Great weather pre and bad weather during = mudfest.
Bad weather pre and bad weather during = mudfest.
Bad weather pre and average weather during = mudfest.
Bad weather pre and great weather during = sunfest.
Great weather pre and great weather during = sunfest.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

What we really need is an accurate 7 day forecast. This way we know what to pack or more importantly not to pack before we go. What sites do we recommend for those type of forecast?

I think it'd be tempting fate personally to not prepare for every eventuality. Every year I've bought clothes for cold and warm temperatures, rain gear, sun lotion, hat... and most years have used all of them. 2010 the only exception.

32 minutes ago, rebus said:

It was pretty well understood that to avoid a mud bath last year that the weather needed to stay dry and sunny for the duration of the festival.  
The state of the ground in the lead up was so bad that even though the weather during the festival wasn't really bad at all - it was bad enough to cause all the mud.  
Without the poor weather pre-festival it would of been very similar to 2015 which was extremely acceptable.
The weather pre and during festival are intrinsically linked.

Great weather pre and bad weather during = mudfest.
Bad weather pre and bad weather during = mudfest.
Bad weather pre and average weather during = mudfest.
Bad weather pre and great weather during = sunfest.
Great weather pre and great weather during = sunfest.

While I broadly agree, I think the effect of bad weather during the fest depends on the duration. If it happens over one afternoon or evening, even intensely, the mud can still dry out. 2011 and 2015 being great examples.

Slightly hooked on that Ventusky.com page posted here before.  I've had it bookmarked and been watching it since it was posted and it is extremely accurate in the 5-7 day range.  Looks like today's rain is going to head off now and we have clear skies as shown in the image above.  That cloud is a band of rain that will mostly dissipate over Ireland and northernmost English and Scottish coasts the end of the week and hardly touch the rest of the country at all, with more clear skies to follow.  What little rain is coming across the atlantic at the moment is nothing to cause me any concern, 2 good weeks of mostly dry ground for the build and fingers crossed beyond that.

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Hot next week for 5 days.

Don't need the Sun to tell us that. Any weather site is saying the same, even the iPhone weather app is predicting a good week. 

The Sun does have a use when it comes to Glastonbury, rolled up newspaper makes a great campfire starter. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Don't need the Sun to tell us that. Any weather site is saying the same, even the iPhone weather app is predicting a good week. 

The Sun does have a use when it comes to Glastonbury, rolled up newspaper makes a great campfire starter. 

Ha ha, totally agree. 

Next week would be a perfect Glastonbury week. It will harden up the ground, just a couple of weeks of this and mud will be no issue come on the end of June :D

Edited by 6t6o6m

On 15/05/2017 at 10:21 AM, EamerRed said:

So I've created my own 'Weather Thingy', or 'The Dinghy' if you will, for the week ahead, to compare the different sites for accuracy, and in the unlikely event that it's any good I'll keep it going afterwards.

And I wonder why I can't get laid.

So there's a million reasons why this would be inaccurate, not least the fact that I've only used one source to find out the historical weather, but I've finished my first week of 'The Dinghy', comparing the week forecast from last Sunday from BBC, Met Office, AccuWeather and 'That Norwegian Site' at yr.no. I've chosen a one-week range as that's essentially what we're going to be checking as we leave for Glastonbury.

I've basically taken the mean temperatures and compared them to what occurred and measured the error rate. Similarly, and this is most unscientific, I've assigned 'points' to describe how far away the precipitation forecasts were from the actual rainfall.

334lw6c.png

So long story short, Met Office was the most accurate temperature wise for the past 6 days, with BBC being least accurate. In terms of rainfall, Accuweather was the most accurate, with BBC furthest away again, quite weirdly. Probably because BBC will probably be more 'gloomy' in terms of forecast in comparison to actual.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

I played on a non league football ground yesterday that had been played on for the last 8 months and its rained a lot here all last week and it was rock hard (until there was a torrential down pour when we kicked off) but i don't think this far out rain with hinder the ground.

It will when you factor in the hundreds of big trucks and lorries and machinery ploughing up the tracks day after day for the next 5 weeks. They're a bit heavier than the average non league footballer ! Another two or three weeks of dry weather and mud won't be an issue. 

Latest written update from Gav:

http://www.gavsweathervids.com/glastonbury-festival-weather-2017.php

As you might expect, still way too early to tell and can probably go straight in the bin with the other long range forecasts. However, I'm liking the phrases such as "reasonably encouraging", "slightly drier than average" and "don't look too concerning" and I've decided to ignore his pesky caveats and anything else he says that points to a gloomier outcome :P

Looking at the next 30 days weather (less than 30 days now woop woop) it does seem that dust and sunstroke are going to be this years weather hazard. According to Metcheck the only day with any significant rainfall for the next month is going to be Bank Holiday Monday which must always have rain as it is weather law.

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Looking at the next 30 days weather (less than 30 days now woop woop) it does seem that dust and sunstroke are going to be this years weather hazard. According to Metcheck the only day with any significant rainfall for the next month is going to be Bank Holiday Monday which must always have rain as it is weather law.

Id take that in a heartbeat after last year!