Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

I had some Vans wellies which I loved. The usual black and white checkered Vans pattern were all over them. However, they also had the Vans shoe sole to them which has almost no grip so they were not the most practical and after falling over a couple of times in 2015 (due to slipping on damp grass and being drunk) I was forced to buy some better ones last year...thankfully!

A permanent pen 

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Whats a sharpie?

You want the moon on a stick, dont you?

Nah, ur probably right. Easy to see why its so hard for everything to align just perfectly.... And then if it does my newly painted wellies will be wasted!

A permanent pen ... might need a few coats though as rubber isn't the easiest thing to fix to without rubbing off 

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Accuweather currently saying 20-23 degrees for the festival, lots of little fluffy clouds with an occasional shower.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/glastonbury/ba6-9/june-weather/330614#

Can't complain about that too much and more importantly it's mainly sunny on the weeks leading up to the festival but not bone dry either so the ground should be firm but not dusty. 

Pretty much perfect festival weather :D

Heres the forecast from this day last year.  

How did that work out?

57336ef11ccd8_Captureglastoweather.JPG.9

image.thumb.png.48d6b35b62451156527b8a94

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alvarhanso said:

That looks truly horrific, I was there last year and didn't even realise any car parks had got this bad( I was instead sat on a coach for 14 hours :( ). Where about was this?!

That's not last year. Look at the models of all those cars. All 10+ years old, wouldn't be surprised if that's from the early 2000s :lol:

2 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

That's not last year. Look at the models of all those cars. All 10+ years old, wouldn't be surprised if that's from the early 2000s :lol:

It's, predictably, from 2005.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, maclauk said:

Weirdly enough I found 2010 one of the hardest years to come to terms with. Finally we had the weather hoped for, lots of sun. And then the awkward realisation that exposure to sun all day plus the heat was almost as knackering and debilitating as a fairly muddy site.

Yes you can sit on dry grass everywhere but you're still usually in the roasting sun. Compared with the crowds there is only limited shade on site. Best thing we found that year was a fresh lemonade stand which served it with LOTS of ice.

Light fluffy clouds are the way forward.

Whoa there, no need to be so hasty! If you ever find yourself roasting in the Glastonbury sun again, there are a few good cooling spots:

the glade (especially on the Wednesday and Thursday before the music is on) - there's usually a cool breeze there and it's shaded.

Strummerville is also shaded and cooler (plus they sell cold soft drinks), though you do have to walk up a steep hill to get to it- might be too much if you're burning hot!

The new wooded area by John peel should also be cool and shaded.

Respite can also be found in the circus field tents - they're still warm but are shaded, and if you are inside nearest the entrance you sometimes get a nice cooling breeze blowing in.

Williams green has some sheltered seats. 

John peel tent is also huge and shaded. Sometimes it's worth modifying who you intend to see based on weather (rain or sun) and choose some sheltered spots to preserve yourself! 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Sometimes it's worth modifying who you intend to see based on weather (rain or sun) and choose some sheltered spots to preserve yourself! 

You've kinda just remade my point. Full sun makes you modify your behaviour just as rain and mud does. You seek shade instead of places to keep out the rain but often they are the same. The energy used to move around the site is also increased in the heat just as it is in the mud. And a few new places to seek shade have appeared since 2010 but the ones available that year were rammed.  

I'm in no way hasty to suggest that I'd like some light fluffy clouds.

I find the HOT a killer, I had to abandon a few bands playing on open stages, and I missed a big England game, because I couldn't cope with the sunshine all day. 

I'd still take that over mud tho.  Once the sun sets you can stay out late, and sit down. Those are the two most important things to do at the festival.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Whoa there, no need to be so hasty! If you ever find yourself roasting in the Glastonbury sun again, there are a few good cooling spots:

the glade (especially on the Wednesday and Thursday before the music is on) - there's usually a cool breeze there and it's shaded.

Strummerville is also shaded and cooler (plus they sell cold soft drinks), though you do have to walk up a steep hill to get to it- might be too much if you're burning hot!

The new wooded area by John peel should also be cool and shaded.

Respite can also be found in the circus field tents - they're still warm but are shaded, and if you are inside nearest the entrance you sometimes get a nice cooling breeze blowing in.

Williams green has some sheltered seats. 

John peel tent is also huge and shaded. Sometimes it's worth modifying who you intend to see based on weather (rain or sun) and choose some sheltered spots to preserve yourself! 

Does anyone remember the little air con room in the SE corner open during the day in 2010? What a little piece of heaven that was...

10 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The ground tends to dry up pretty quickly, after the downpour on Friday in 2015 I went back later to change back into trainers and stayed in them. On the flip side the ground also goes to shit very quickly too.

After smashing my ankle in 2009 I worry about the state of the ground big time. I can honestly say that I had a little tear in my eye last year... It really does take away the fun factor..I know it doesn't mean that you can have fun and you do see some funny as fuck things but to me personally it means that I'm looking down constantly... Also it's great to be able to just sit down.. But your right the ground does recover quickly as long as it's just a quick downpour..... 

I think it's better now that they put wood chipping down instead of straw.. Straw just makes things worse lol

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=hpnews&id=3760&title=Glastonbury+Festival

Presume this is old news?  it was released a week ago.  I'm inclined to believe the "On the basis of the current data we consider the outlook for Glastonbury 2017 to be quite promising"

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/daily-ultra-long-range.aspx?region=1

I'm also inclined to believe the baking hot sunshine with light sprinkle of rain on sunday morning.  If its on a website its gonna be true, right?

5 minutes ago, siblin said:

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=hpnews&id=3760&title=Glastonbury+Festival

Presume this is old news?  it was released a week ago.  I'm inclined to believe the "On the basis of the current data we consider the outlook for Glastonbury 2017 to be quite promising"

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/daily-ultra-long-range.aspx?region=1

I'm also inclined to believe the baking hot sunshine with light sprinkle of rain on sunday morning.  If its on a website its gonna be true, right?

Seems legit....