Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

I have a weather related dilemma. I don't want to buy wellies and raincoat etc as I don't want to curse the weather gods and bring deluges of rain to the festival but I don't want to wait till last minute either as I'd like to break the boots in plus I've got some spare LED strips that I could use around the top of them.

I've only been to the festival when it has rained so I have no experience of the ground conditions when its dry, are boots still required even when its sunny?

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I have a weather related dilemma. I don't want to buy wellies and raincoat etc as I don't want to curse the weather gods and bring deluges of rain to the festival but I don't want to wait till last minute either as I'd like to break the boots in plus I've got some spare LED strips that I could use around the top of them.

I've only been to the festival when it has rained so I have no experience of the ground conditions when its dry, are boots still required even when its sunny?

Seems to work the other way though, the more wet-weather gear you buy and bring, the drier it is. Worth the expense/hassle sacrifice I'd say!

Yeah do make sure you break the boots in mate, no fun being on your feet in brand new boots 20 hours a day, they'd cut you to pieces. And I wear hiking boots all weathers at the festival even when dry, coz the ground is pretty rough and when it's dry it's *solid* rough! There are those in espadrills and flip-flops, but it must be pretty uncomfortable. Can you even dance in flip-flops?

I took walking boots in 2011, of course the heavens opened while queuing, didn't stop for days and my feet were swamped and ended up buying wellies and poncho on site. Don't really want to be left in that position again as my feet weren't best pleased.

Don't really want to get efests hate by buying wellies and encouraging the rain either but if buying some means the rain stays away then I'm on it. :D 

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Don't really want to get efests hate by buying wellies and encouraging the rain either but if buying some means the rain stays away then I'm on it. :D 

Most sane people will be taking boots or wellies whatever the forecast. Even if it looks like 27 degree cloudless days throughout, a few days in forecasts can change and torrential thunderstorms can come and trash the ground. 

33 minutes ago, billum said:

Seems to work the other way though, the more wet-weather gear you buy and bring, the drier it is. Worth the expense/hassle sacrifice I'd say!

Yeah do make sure you break the boots in mate, no fun being on your feet in brand new boots 20 hours a day, they'd cut you to pieces. And I wear hiking boots all weathers at the festival even when dry, coz the ground is pretty rough and when it's dry it's *solid* rough! There are those in espadrills and flip-flops, but it must be pretty uncomfortable. Can you even dance in flip-flops?

The footwear doesn't make the dancer, the dancer makes the footwear. 

It's a guaranteed way to rip your footwear though. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

It sucks being a guy and if you're wanting some cool wellies. Kids get some great ones but they don't make Spiderman wellies in size 11 :(

Nail varnish is your friend for wellie decoration.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Nail varnish is your friend for wellie decoration.

I found an old thread on here where someone recommended primer and acrylic spray paint. Got a nice amazon shopping basket full of welly decorating goodies for under £30, better than paying a fortune for that Hunter rubbish :D

13 hours ago, somecoolusername said:

It was definitely one of those "if I can still have a good time under these circumstances I can survive anything" festivals. OK, that sounds pretty dramatic, but there were a number of factors, Glastonbury and otherwise, to overcome last year.

that's good to know it was my first last year and arguably one of the best weeks of my life does mean going into this one not worrying about the weather like I did the last.

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

It sucks being a guy and if you're wanting some cool wellies. Kids get some great ones but they don't make Spiderman wellies in size 11 :(

At least ur a guy and thus are surrounded my other men in equally shit wellies. Im a girl and have clown feet :-( the cutest wellies i could find were some blue dunlop ones that look like they're made for fishing dead rats out of sewers....

I have actually been into the Sheffield Megatron in them though, so I'm prob not far off that...

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

At least ur a guy and thus are surrounded my other men in equally shit wellies. Im a girl and have clown feet :-( the cutest wellies i could find were some blue dunlop ones that look like they're made for fishing dead rats out of sewers....

I have actually been into the Sheffield Megatron in them though, so I'm prob not far off that...

There must be a market for funky wellies in sizes larger than 8. I'll let you know how my painting effort goes, gone for a cheap pair of dunlops which I don't mind being destroyed. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There must be a market for funky wellies in sizes larger than 8. I'll let you know how my painting effort goes, gone for a cheap pair of dunlops which I don't mind being destroyed. 

Yeh, after reading this thread im keen to get some acrylic paint and nailvarnish and tart them up a bit!

3 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

It's utter shit in London. So cold I was actually shivering when I got out of bed. Had to have porridge for breakfast! It's May! 

My mate told me Sheffield was freezing yesterday. Now, I'm not a meterologist by any stretch of the imagination, and said mate is prone to exaggerate, but Im reasonably sure that a cold May = a splendidly warm actual summer.

im basing this on the fact that 2007 was lush in April and May and a pile of w*nk in the following months, and that I remember seeing pics of people wearing Jumpers and massive coats in May in 2014 and the summer was pretty damn decent.

Your porridge is therefore a big win as far as I'm concerned :-)

6 minutes ago, billum said:

Any excuse eh? I lurve porridge!

Indeed! I do eat it year round tbh 

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

My mate told me Sheffield was freezing yesterday. Now, I'm not a meterologist by any stretch of the imagination, and said mate is prone to exaggerate, but Im reasonably sure that a cold May = a splendidly warm actual summer.

im basing this on the fact that 2007 was lush in April and May and a pile of w*nk in the following months, and that I remember seeing pics of people wearing Jumpers and massive coats in May in 2014 and the summer was pretty damn decent.

Your porridge is therefore a big win as far as I'm concerned :-)

Oh yeah, that's 100% how it works. Not a meteorologist either but come on, it's just a fact. I'll take a shit May for a good June! 

One thing we do need is, sorry for saying it, rain.

The ground is already very hard and if it warms up there will be bent tent pegs all over. We do need a lot of rain to get in and soften the ground and also as reservoirs are getting a lot lower than they should be now.

Get it all done and dusted in the next few weeks then it can settle down and be glorious from mid June onwards - but not too hot.

Accuweather currently saying 20-23 degrees for the festival, lots of little fluffy clouds with an occasional shower.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/glastonbury/ba6-9/june-weather/330614#

Can't complain about that too much and more importantly it's mainly sunny on the weeks leading up to the festival but not bone dry either so the ground should be firm but not dusty. 

Pretty much perfect festival weather :D

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Sharpies work well for welly decoration too 

Whats a sharpie?

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

One thing we do need is, sorry for saying it, rain.

The ground is already very hard and if it warms up there will be bent tent pegs all over. We do need a lot of rain to get in and soften the ground and also as reservoirs are getting a lot lower than they should be now.

Get it all done and dusted in the next few weeks then it can settle down and be glorious from mid June onwards - but not too hot.

You want the moon on a stick, dont you?

Nah, ur probably right. Easy to see why its so hard for everything to align just perfectly.... And then if it does my newly painted wellies will be wasted!