Liam Gallagher

plaskins

49 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The promise of Listen Up - their best b-side - would probably be enough to convince to head along and watch

Noel was playing it on his last tour too. Was a great surprise, considering Oasis rarely (never?) played it.

15 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Rockin Chair & Listen Up would be enough to get me to see him. Even just out of morbid curiosity, and Ive seen all the rest live.

Why do "dont look back in anger?" Its the tune most synonymous with Noel. To do that is strange.

To prove his point at being able to sing any song Noel wrote better.

16 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Big fan I take it...

Issues with the boorish culture he represents, and that he's overcome the severe limitations of his own musicianship by promoting himself as responsible for two albums his brother wrote two decades ago. No issues with him as a person, beyond how  aggressive he seems be, and I presume a fair chunk of that is him playing up to the media demonisation of him anyway.

Liam confirms that the genre of his solo work will be "chin-out". Expect it to be played in the chin-out rooms of clubs the length and breadth of the country. Sound of the summer. 

Liam Gallagher: 'Anything Noel can sing, I can sing better'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/20/liam-gallagher-trolls-noel-i-can-sing-better-oasis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Issues with the boorish culture he represents, and that he's overcome the severe limitations of his own musicianship by promoting himself as responsible for two albums his brother wrote two decades ago. No issues with him as a person, beyond how  aggressive he seems be, and I presume a fair chunk of that is him playing up to the media demonisation of him anyway.

99% of great lead singers are full of their own self importance. Whether it's Liam Gallagher's bravado, Kanye West's messiah complex or Mariah Carey's diva demands the greats as a general rule have something going on.

If you like the songs - you look past it. If you don't - it's annoying.

For a time, Liam was great - regardless of how much of a caricature he is now, that bravado and front, elevated him from good to great. It now makes him look ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

99% of great lead singers are full of their own self importance. Whether it's Liam Gallagher's bravado, Kanye West's messiah complex or Mariah Carey's diva demands the greats as a general rule have something going on.

Sure, but the vast majority of them have the talent and tunes to back it up. It's difficult to respect someone being as cocky as that when they've achieved almost-nothing off their own back. But anyway tbh my point was mainly that, with Noel having been responsible for 99% of the tunes Liam is famous for singing, the hype for Liam's 'solo material' isn't being judged on the merits of his own songwriting credentials. And that grates, when you look around and see how many far superior acts are struggling without that spotlight he's done little to earn.

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Sure, but the vast majority of them have the talent and tunes to back it up. It's difficult to respect someone being as cocky as that when they've achieved almost-nothing off their own back. But anyway tbh my point was mainly that, with Noel having been responsible for 99% of the tunes Liam is famous for singing, the hype for Liam's 'solo material' isn't being judged on the merits of his own songwriting credentials. And that grates, when you look around and see how many far superior acts are struggling without that spotlight he's done little to earn.

The problem with that is the fact that 99% of the songs Noel wrote would not be anywhere near as good without Liam singing. Noel may have written those songs but Liam makes them what they are. 

The lack of credit Liam seems to get for his contribution to Oasis is staggering.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

The problem with that is the fact that 99% of the songs Noel wrote would not be anywhere near as good without Liam singing. Noel may have written those songs but Liam makes them what they are. 

The lack of credit Liam seems to get for his contribution to Oasis is staggering.

Agreed - I always felt Liam was underestimated. Yes Noel wrote the songs, but Liam made them what they are.

In the early days Noel either couldn't/wouldn't sing. Nor does he have the charisma element that Liam has. Liam did, and always will, capture the audience far better than Noel.

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Bang on

43 minutes ago, eastynh said:

100% fact.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Putting lipstick on a pig springs to mind for 75% of Oasis songs post WTSMG.....

I'm not sure where the lack of credit comes from; he was a sensational front man from 93 - 97/98, just as Noel was a sensational writer. Both were absolutely central to their success. However they both went downhill from there and whilst Noel could still knock out the occasional gem as a songwriter, Liam's contribution went downhill much more rapidly. Once he stopped being able to be the sensational front man and vocalist, I'm not entirely sure what Liam contributed to Oasis. Even his 'charisma' is tired and he's become a bit of a parody to be honest. He's back rasping through Oasis songs now because his own songwriting just doesn't cut it.

They have always been greater than the sum of their parts but certainly since the 2009 split I'd argue Noel has carried the Oasis torch on his own. If they were both playing at the same time at Glastonbury, I'd also argue there would be a bigger crowd seeing Noel sing Oasis songs than there would be for Liam singing Oasis songs.

18 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Putting lipstick on a pig springs to mind for 75% of Oasis songs post WTSMG.....

I'm not sure where the lack of credit comes from; he was a sensational front man from 93 - 97/98, just as Noel was a sensational writer. Both were absolutely central to their success. However they both went downhill from there and whilst Noel could still knock out the occasional gem as a songwriter, Liam's contribution went downhill much more rapidly. Once he stopped being able to be the sensational front man and vocalist, I'm not entirely sure what Liam contributed to Oasis. Even his 'charisma' is tired and he's become a bit of a parody to be honest. He's back rasping through Oasis songs now because his own songwriting just doesn't cut it.

They have always been greater than the sum of their parts but certainly since the 2009 split I'd argue Noel has carried the Oasis torch on his own. If they were both playing at the same time at Glastonbury, I'd also argue there would be a bigger crowd seeing Noel sing Oasis songs than there would be for Liam singing Oasis songs.

Noel would probably get the second or 3rd biggest crowd of the weekend if he subbed. 

Liam would fill the JP if he is on at the right time.

4 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

What culture is that then? Oasis wouldn't have been Oasis without Liam. Like The Beatles wouldn't have been The Beatles without Ringo who some say was carried.