Liam Gallagher

plaskins

5 hours ago, sunnydaysblue said:

He is also getting too old for it

Liam Gallagher can't become a bed-wetter now, that just wouldn't pass. 

The image is his own, parody now-a-days/or not. He built the reputation up himself, and I still like his attitude (arrogance?), although probably all just an act for the media. He's gunning for Keith Richards :lol:

The whole concept of this is just terrible.

Are there really that many people who care so little for the integrity of music, that they would be excited to see:

- the former singer of a (incredibly popular and successful, granted) band,
- who hasn't been able to sing properly for >10 years as his voice is shagged,
- sing the most popular, cliched, overplayed 'anthems' of his former band from 20 years ago,
- backed by a bunch of journeymen musicians who have no association with the music of the original band,
- filling up the set with the most execrable crap, plodding lad rock as he's never written a decent song of his own,
- just so that they can drunkenly, and atonally, wail out the words to Wonderwall?

Really? REALLY?

How is that any better (and probably much worse) than a Saturday night Oasis tribute band at the Dog & Pheasant? And he'd fill the JPT? Christ, people are very easily pleased! I'm incredibly precious about my festival time, and plan every minute with military precision, but I'm even tempted to go see him, if he plays, just to reassure myself that it's not me, and that the emperor is butt naked on stage.

:)

Ben 

Sometimes it's less about the band and more about being with other people who like the songs though. I adore the Roses, they're all extremely talented but let's face it Ian Brown is hardly Pavarotti. The crowd make the gigs, and people would be well up for it with LG.

10 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Sometimes it's less about the band and more about being with other people who like the songs though. I adore the Roses, they're all extremely talented but let's face it Ian Brown is hardly Pavarotti. The crowd make the gigs, and people would be well up for it with LG.

And I understand that. Eamer but, forgive me, I find that so depressing. If you're all smashed in the Silent Disco, then I can understand it, but to give up a decent stage slot at the world's best festival, when there is SOOOOOO much good, relevant new music out there, just makes me sad/cross/frustrated/distraught*.

Ben

*delete as appropriate, dependent upon mood/level of pompousness

25 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Are there really that many people who care so little for the integrity of music, that they would be excited to see:

- sing the most popular, cliched, overplayed 'anthems' of his former band from 20 years ago,
- backed by a bunch of journeymen musicians who have no association with the music of the original band,
- filling up the set with the most execrable crap, plodding lad rock as he's never written a decent song of his own,
- just so that they can drunkenly, and atonally, wail out the words to Wonderwall?

Really? REALLY?

How is that any better (and probably much worse) than a Saturday night Oasis tribute band at the Dog & Pheasant? And he'd fill the JPT? Christ, people are very easily pleased! I'm incredibly precious about my festival time, and plan every minute with military precision, but I'm even tempted to go see him, if he plays, just to reassure myself that it's not me, and that the emperor is butt naked on stage.

Ben 

But.. but... but.. Songbird is alright!

I'm no fan of L-Gazzle, but Glastonbury isn't a festival of 'relevance' and emerging trends in musical futurism - there's plenty of space on the bill for heritage acts.

Inasmuch as I'd hate it if it became a Rewind style nostalgia-fest, I wouldn't want it all to be about the bleeding edge of the vanguard either.  There's room for both.

32 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Really? REALLY?

Ben 

It's pretty evident from 'point 3' and 'point 5' on your paragraph there that you aren't the biggest fan of Oasis, fair enough. At the end of the day he has just as much right to go out and sing those songs as his brother does, regardless of what people say. On the 'journeymen with no association' point, that was the same for NGHFB (maybe bar Sharrock), until Gem joined in after the 2nd album

It's opinions isn't it, like any band/artist. Oasis are probably more important to me than any other artist, for a whole host of reasons. Liam is one of the best and most important frontmen of all time, certainly in my opinion anyway. Granted he isn't quite as relevant as he once was (he may well be in a year or 2 if/when Oasis decide to reform) but to many, me being one, he is still a huge attraction.

43 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Really? REALLY?

Ben 

Ben you music far too seriously.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Really? REALLY?

Ben 

and yet, that will still be better than loads of crap that ends up on the JP/Other/Park etc who will be completely forgotten about in 10 years....

53 minutes ago, mufcok said:

It's pretty evident from 'point 3' and 'point 5' on your paragraph there that you aren't the biggest fan of Oasis, fair enough. At the end of the day he has just as much right to go out and sing those songs as his brother does, regardless of what people say. On the 'journeymen with no association' point, that was the same for NGHFB (maybe bar Sharrock), until Gem joined in after the 2nd album

It's opinions isn't it, like any band/artist. Oasis are probably more important to me than any other artist, for a whole host of reasons. Liam is one of the best and most important frontmen of all time, certainly in my opinion anyway. Granted he isn't quite as relevant as he once was (he may well be in a year or 2 if/when Oasis decide to reform) but to many, me being one, he is still a huge attraction.

Not at all, my little Red Devil.

I'm 47. I loved Oasis. And when it comes to Knebworth, I can actually say 'I was there, man!". Saw them 5-6 times, last at Heaton Park.

He was an incredible frontman with, at the their zenith, the best set of pipes in rock. But that was then. I don't enjoy Macca's renditions of the Beatles' stuff either. I'd rather watch the Bootlegs. Because the songs are not 'just' songs. They are a document of a moment, and deserve to be treated with some regard, not just peddled out because Liam doesn't have the chops to do anything else. I'm really not a fan of NGHFB, but at least he's trying to create a new artistic entity. I challenge that anyone would watch Liam other than to hear old Oasis songs, and that's just a bit sad to me 's all.

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not at all, my little Red Devil.

I'm 47. I loved Oasis. And when it comes to Knebworth, I can actually say 'I was there, man!". Saw them 5-6 times, last at Heaton Park.

He was an incredible frontman with, at the their zenith, the best set of pipes in rock. But that was then. I don't enjoy Macca's renditions of the Beatles' stuff either. I'd rather watch the Bootlegs. Because the songs are not 'just' songs. They are a document of a moment, and deserve to be treated with some regard, not just peddled out because Liam doesn't have the chops to do anything else. I'm really not a fan of NGHFB, but at least he's trying to create a new artistic entity. I challenge that anyone would watch Liam other than to hear old Oasis songs, and that's just a bit sad to me 's all.

Ben

Fair enough, just doesn't come across like that when you're using terms like cliched, plodding and overplayed.

Lets not forget, regardless of whether it's good or shit, Liam is also creating new music to go along with the Oasis stuff. So really doing nothing different to NGHFB

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm no fan of L-Gazzle, but Glastonbury isn't a festival of 'relevance' and emerging trends in musical futurism - there's plenty of space on the bill for heritage acts.

Inasmuch as I'd hate it if it became a Rewind style nostalgia-fest, I wouldn't want it all to be about the bleeding edge of the vanguard either.  There's room for both.

I don't disagree, CalGon, even though I have a somewhat irrational dislike of nostalgia acts. But my challenge is that Liam isn't even that. He isn't even The Eagles finding that Hell had, indeed, frozen over and getting the geetars out one last time (and then a few more after that!). He's the voice from a band for which he wrote nothing, no longer able to do justice to some classic rock songs, backed by some session guys (very proficient, I have no doubt - probably better guitarists than Noel, bless him!) who have no  association with Oasis or the heritage of that music. That's a covers band, isn't it? And I still contest that there are much more interesting bands on the up that deserve a shot more...

Ben

Just now, mufcok said:

Fair enough, just doesn't come across like that when you're using terms like cliched, plodding and overplayed.

Lets not forget, regardless of whether it's good or shit, Liam is also creating new music to go along with the Oasis stuff. So really doing nothing different to NGHFB

That was, possibly, just intentionally provocative, mu, so fair cop. I guess what I mean (as an Oasis fan, certainly of the first three (yes, THREE!) records) is that it always tends to boil down to the lowest common denominator of which Oasis songs will be played. I'd bet a pound that Columbia won't be trotted out!

Ben

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't disagree, CalGon, even though I have a somewhat irrational dislike of nostalgia acts. But my challenge is that Liam isn't even that. He isn't even The Eagles finding that Hell had, indeed, frozen over and getting the geetars out one last time (and then a few more after that!). He's the voice from a band for which he wrote nothing, no longer able to do justice to some classic rock songs, backed by some session guys (very proficient, I have no doubt - probably better guitarists than Noel, bless him!) who have no  association with Oasis or the heritage of that music. That's a covers band, isn't it? And I still contest that there are much more interesting bands on the up that deserve a shot more...

Ben

It's gonna be a hot mess of borderline unlistenable garbage, true, but I don't begrudge the folk that'll enjoy the opportunity it presents to wallow in nostalgia and weep for their lost youth / hair.

Basically, I don't think any up and coming bands lose their "shot" as a result of Garglemaster Monkeyplugs getting an hour on the Lammo Stage.  And if all that they have going for them is that they're 'up and coming' then I'm not so sure that's worthy of any great hoo ha either.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's gonna be a hot mess of borderline unlistenable garbage, true, but I don't begrudge the folk that'll enjoy the opportunity it presents to wallow in nostalgia and weep for their lost youth / hair.

Basically, I don't think any up and coming bands lose their "shot" as a result of Garglemaster Monkeyplugs getting an hour on the Lammo Stage.  And if all that they have going for them is that they're 'up and coming' then I'm not so sure that's worthy of any great hoo ha either.

For me not to have done so would have been a crime against upvoting...

Ben
x

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2017 at 10:37 AM, bennyhana22 said:

That was, possibly, just intentionally provocative, mu, so fair cop. I guess what I mean (as an Oasis fan, certainly of the first three (yes, THREE!) records) is that it always tends to boil down to the lowest common denominator of which Oasis songs will be played. I'd bet a pound that Columbia won't be trotted out!

Ben

Third one was the best ;)

Edited by plaskins

On 21/03/2017 at 8:54 AM, bennyhana22 said:

Really? REALLY?

Ben 

Seen a lot of people say the same things about Barry Gibb tbf. Forner singer of an incredibly popular band, voice has gone, people would be happy though for a drunken singalong, possibly backed by touring musicians who had no affiliation with the original band. 

Yet if they pull of the Barry Gibb Haynes / Butthole Surfers collaboration then itll go down in history as one of the greatest sets the festival has seen. 

In effect..basically Liam G just needs a good dance partner and it'll be gravy. I suggest Goldie Lookin Chain as a front runner. 

Edited by chatty