The XX

gmb1992

3 hours ago, Bradders said:

It's definitely not true. They're far, far too big for the Park.

They are too big for it but if they have asked for it?, it's not the biggest stretch considering as said the Brixton choice of dates. It similarly could be said about Foals, after co-headlining Reading regardless of opinion on that, that Citadel is a step down but they like doing smaller gigs.

It might be a case that they want to play in the darkest setting they can and obviously Pyramid sub wouldn't be that and if Other headliner is gone then it's plausible.

Personally with everyone saying they fit perfectly before Radiohead, that's the exact reason why the Eavis' won't want that as they like movement between acts etc. It's the same reason why Gaga fits to many on here under Ed but FF is probably more likely and that try to have a other headliner different to the sub etc. 

2014 with Metallica on Pyramid was a bit different but even that I know a fair few who don't have interest in both.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

They are too big for it but if they have asked for it?, it's not the biggest stretch considering as said the Brixton choice of dates. It similarly could be said about Foals, after co-headlining Reading regardless of opinion on that, that Citadel is a step down but they like doing smaller gigs.

It might be a case that they want to play in the darkest setting they can and obviously Pyramid sub wouldn't be that and if Other headliner is gone then it's plausible.

Personally with everyone saying they fit perfectly before Radiohead, that's the exact reason why the Eavis' won't want that as they like movement between acts etc. It's the same reason why Gaga fits to many on here under Ed but FF is probably more likely and that try to have a other headliner different to the sub etc. 

2014 with Metallica on Pyramid was a bit different but even that I know a fair few who don't have interest in both.

to be fair in the last few years they've certainly had some more similar headliner/sub combinations, Muse/Foals, Arcade Fire/Elbow, Kasabian/Black Keys, Kanye/Pharrell etc. Not saying all those acts are really similar but I guess they appeal to similar fanbases in much the same way The xx and Radiohead do. Obviously there's been The Rolling Stones/Primal Scream and The Who/Paul Weller too but those were different situations.

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

to be fair in the last few years they've certainly had some more similar headliner/sub combinations, Muse/Foals, Arcade Fire/Elbow, Kasabian/Black Keys, Kanye/Pharrell etc. Not saying all those acts are really similar but I guess they appeal to similar fanbases in much the same way The xx and Radiohead do. Obviously there's been The Rolling Stones/Primal Scream and The Who/Paul Weller too but those were different situations.

Muse/Foals is nothing like the same for me and nor is AF/Elbow. Kasabian/TBK I'll just give you and Kanye had to have someone similar underneath really even though I admit at the time I didn't think they would do that but the more apparent it became that Pharrell would be there the more it made sense. The Who/Weller as you say but I don't think The Stones and Primal Scream is too similar.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

like all these things, it depends who they're up against.

A popular bands gets an awful lot less popular when there's more popular bands around.

Yet when the Rolling Stones headlined the Pyramid they had Fuck Buttons on the Park. The xx would draw too big a crowd on the Park no matter who they were up against.

1 hour ago, Bradders said:

Yet when the Rolling Stones headlined the Pyramid they had Fuck Buttons on the Park. The xx would draw too big a crowd on the Park no matter who they were up against.

Few acts wanted to go up against the stones, and the bookers didn't want to waste money on an act up against the stones that so few would see.

And it's hardly surprising, either. I walked round while they played and stages had no one there - and i really don't think it would have mattered who was on. There were people who were watching the stones - almost everyone - and then there were the few who weren't.

I don't really disagree with the idea that the park is too small for The xx, but i'd still say it's not impossible to do in the right circumstances (which probably won't exist on Saturday this year, i agree).

I don't think The xx will be billed as Park Stage headliners, but if they do play and headline, I can't see it being dangerous. You're talking about them clashing with either Sheeran or Foo Fighters, whoever is on the Other stage, John Peel, West Holts headliners and all the people that don't even watch any headliners. That will slice up the potential crowd significantly. Yes it will be very busy, but I don't see it being a health and safety disaster.

I still don't see them headlining the Park though.

Yeah I agree with that. People label secret slots and bands playing smaller slots than expected (and also Tom Clarke playing the John Peel Stage, for whatever reason) as 'dangerous' way too easily, forgetting about all the other things going on and that quite a lot of people see that something's full and move along or just watch from the outskirts and don't crush in.

Nevertheless, The xx headlining Park Stage is pretty pointless when they're obviously above that level and have already done that slot. I could only see it happening as a secret set as I don't understand why they'd want that to be their main set at the fest.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I agree with that. People label secret slots and bands playing smaller slots than expected (and also Tom Clarke playing the John Peel Stage, for whatever reason) as 'dangerous' way too easily, forgetting about all the other things going on and that quite a lot of people see that something's full and move along or just watch from the outskirts and don't crush in.

Nevertheless, The xx headlining Park Stage is pretty pointless when they're obviously above that level and have already done that slot. I could only see it happening as a secret set as I don't understand why they'd want that to be their main set at the fest.

Yep, that's the better point to make.

Also, their current setup on the Park stage would be weird. It so obviously demands a bigger stage to do it justice.

Maybe they wanted to play the Park for its anniversary, got told they can't because of health and safety concerns, so agreed as a compromise to do a second set there, kept secret.

Would make Neil's info about them wanting to headline it true, would make that previous info we had about them playing the Park true, and would mean them playing a slot that's actually consistent with their size (Pyramid sub/Other headliner), as well.

Or they wanted to do it and got told no so they're just doing Pyramid/Other, and that other guy's info was just a mix up on account of them wanting to do it at one point.

8 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I stand by I think they'll headline the other stage rather than pyramid sub or third. They don't strike me as a band that thrives for the big stage rather than personal preference IE Brixton Academy shows. 

Theyre doing brixton as it was their first venue they went to when they were kids and i feel the park would be special in the same sort of way to them 

1 hour ago, Divein said:

Could they potentially sub Radiohead on the Friday then headline the Park on the Sunday. I think up against Ed Sheeranm and Green Day wouldn't be too bad in terms of crowd size. Especially if people have seen them once that weekend

But Green Day aren't headlining the Other Stage.

34 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Theyre doing brixton as it was their first venue they went to when they were kids and i feel the park would be special in the same sort of way to them 

But they'll have played hundreds of festival stages and the Park Stage won't have been the first festival stage they ever played on. I mean if Neil's correct they obviously do wanna do the Park Stage for some reason but I don't see why it would be special to them. Am I missing something? Was there something special about their 2010 set there?

40 minutes ago, merago said:

Just a thought, but with the new drive-in area going in, by the sounds of it, not too far from the Park, and with it being the anniversary celebrations, maybe the Park is getting a facelift that increases it's capacity?

I think we'd have heard about that already if it was going to happen