Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

10 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

As last year was my first glastonbury and I only joined this great place last year how often are bands not speculated about or ruled out suddenly added unexpectedly to posters . I know most speculation is from tour gaps insiders and those who track the Web but some must slip the net . 

Ruled out bands almost never except the whole Who fiasco the other year

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beck and Sigur Rós were the big surprises on the first poster last year. Sigur Rós had been ruled out due to it being announced that they only had 2 UK shows, and 2 UK shows had already been announced prior to the Glasto announcement. Not sure why we weren't really expecting Beck (probably just other more likely looking acts out there) but he wasn't being very widely predicted.

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Beck and Sigur Rós were the big surprises on the first poster last year. Sigur Rós had been ruled out due to it being announced that they only had 2 UK shows, and 2 UK shows had already been announced prior to the Glasto announcement. Not sure why we weren't really expecting Beck (probably just other more likely looking acts out there) but he wasn't being very widely predicted.

Frank Ocean plllllllls

50 minutes ago, nikkic said:

As you've alluded to a lot of stuff can be guessed based on tour schedules etc but every year there are complete curve balls that pop on the first poster. 

Can't remember who it was last year but I think in 2015 it was Motörhead, Mary J Blige and Burt Bacharach. I'm sure someone with a better memory can correct me on that though!

We should be in for a few surprises come poster day. Who are you hoping for?

Loads of hopes and wishes but how about Damien rice nobody mentoning him no doubt he's somewhere in europe

7 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Bon Iver or Frank Ocean are the ones most likely to do this imo (I know you're not big on Franky O but in general he'd be in that group). Wouldn't be baffled to see either of those on the poster. The National/Kendrick won't happen tho.

I think Bon Iver is actually looking more likely now that this sunday night headliner slot is looking like it's opening up. At the moment I think Justice will be headlining on Saturday after Boy Better Know, and BBK will be given a Pixies/Ben Howard type headliner-esque longer slot on the Saturday. Then I think The Weeknd subbed by Royal Blood will be on Friday opposite Radiohead, with Elbow subbing Radiohead, Lady Gaga subbing Foo Fighters and The XX subbing Ed Sheeran (and Alt-J not playing in the end). I don't think Frank Ocean would play because he could only really headline the Other at the moment (3rd down on Pyramid wouldn't work) and him and The Weeknd both headlining Other doesn't seem right because they're quite a similar type of act. So yeah, Bon Iver might happen (though Pet Shop Boys or Green Day might end up coming out of the fray, which i'm whole-heartedly not bothered about).

11 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I think Bon Iver is actually looking more likely now that this sunday night headliner slot is looking like it's opening up. At the moment I think Justice will be headlining on Saturday after Boy Better Know, and BBK will be given a Pixies/Ben Howard type headliner-esque longer slot on the Saturday. Then I think The Weeknd subbed by Royal Blood will be on Friday opposite Radiohead, with Elbow subbing Radiohead, Lady Gaga subbing Foo Fighters and The XX subbing Ed Sheeran (and Alt-J not playing in the end). I don't think Frank Ocean would play because he could only really headline the Other at the moment (3rd down on Pyramid wouldn't work) and him and The Weeknd both headlining Other doesn't seem right because they're quite a similar type of act. So yeah, Bon Iver might happen (though Pet Shop Boys or Green Day might end up coming out of the fray, which i'm whole-heartedly not bothered about).

Possible for sure but I think much more likely is that alt-J headline the Saturday and Justice shimmy over to the Sunday.

Atm I'm on one of the following scenarios:

Justice, alt-J, The xx (The Weeknd subbing Sheeran)

The Weeknd, alt-J, Justice (The xx subbing Sheeran)

50 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Possible for sure but I think much more likely is that alt-J headline the Saturday and Justice shimmy over to the Sunday.

Atm I'm on one of the following scenarios:

Justice, alt-J, The xx (The Weeknd subbing Sheeran)

The Weeknd, alt-J, Justice (The xx subbing Sheeran)

Alt-J on the Other while Foo Fighters are on Pyramid just doesn't sit that right for me. Feel like it's more likely to be a hip hop or dance act.

13 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Alt-J on the Other while Foo Fighters are on Pyramid just doesn't sit that right for me. Feel like it's more likely to be a hip hop or dance act.

Hmm tbh I don't really see there being too much crossover there. No more so than clashes such as Mumford vs The xx in recent years.

3 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I think we all expected Beck in 2015 when he was over here supporting The Strokes and he didn't play. Think we all gave up hope after that.

Mind you, Beck struggling away in front of Coldplay fans talking loudly amongst themselves and paying no attention made it somewhat of a pyrrhic victory. Luckily I'm not that massive of a Beck fan, but Frank or Bon Iver up there while Ed's fans ruin it for everybody else would really wind me up. Come to think of it, the only other Pyramid sub I've ever seen was Jack White, and that didn't go too well (not the crowd's fault mind). It's a cursed slot, only Gaga could manage it.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

portishead was out of the blue the other year. 

Was it? I didn't go that year but I followed speculation on here beforehand and I'm sure we were expecting them to play, just not as Other headliners. Unless something came about along the way that made them seem unlikely? I definitely remember discussions over what stage they'd play.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Mind you, Beck struggling away in front of Coldplay fans talking loudly amongst themselves and paying no attention made it somewhat of a pyrrhic victory. Luckily I'm not that massive of a Beck fan, but Frank or Bon Iver up there while Ed's fans ruin it for everybody else would really wind me up. Come to think of it, the only other Pyramid sub I've ever seen was Jack White, and that didn't go too well (not the crowd's fault mind). It's a cursed slot, only Gaga could manage it.

I was gutted with the crowd at Beck. He was my act of the weekend. 

The only pyramid subs Ive ever watched...

Faithless '10... Smashed it. Like them or not, the crowd reaction for that slot was brilliant.

Morrissey '11... I enjoyed it, most seemingly didn't

Elbow '14... Bored me shitless, but others liked it.

Jack White '14.... Jack wasnt great was he?

Beck '16... I enjoyed it. The crowd were shite.

It needs to be someone with big crossover appeal. Like him or not - Noel Gallagher is the best possible act for that slot in my opinion. Id definitely watch Gaga, but Gallagher senior would have a wider appeal and is probably the best sub they could get.

Only seen 2.5 subs in 3 years:

- Jack White: disappointing for most parts

- Foals: great but I'm still annoyed the sound cut out for Two Steps (not their fault though)

- Caught a little bit of The Libertines after SVE but it didn't do much for me.

Can't remember why I didn't watch Elbow in '14 and Tame Impala/Beck lost out in the clash wars.

Hope The XX can pull off the sub slot!

Saw all three subs at my first Glasto last year;

+ Foals underwhelmed me - though an improvement on their Parklife headline slot in 2014, it fell considerably below par of their arena shows earlier in the winter (the exact same thing would ultimately defeat Muse for me - had I not seen them earlier on the Drones Tour at Manchester, then perhaps I would have enjoyed what was, by general standards, a solid performance (and by Muse standards, very by numbers).

+ Tame Impala had a superb performance under Adele. This being the most unusual sub of the three in relation to the headliner, I thought they could be DOA - but they pulled out a great feelgood performance. Top stuff.

+ Beck - for probably being the best sonically of the three - was DOA. I think I'd love to see him at his own show to rectify the mistake - but underneath Coldplay was the last place for him to be.