Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

I think the lesson is to not be near the front for a sub where you're not interested in whoever's headlining.  We were up on the hill for Beck and had a whale of a time - can imagine that standing near the front drowning in a tidal wave of sqaure-ass Coldplay-aprpeciating jive-turkeys would have been a different experience.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Specials before Neil Young and Kasabian before Bruce Springsteen in 2009 were both great sets. Faithless before Stevie Wonder was another cracker the crowd was bouncing and huge, it felt that there was more people there for Faithless than Stevie. Primal Scream before the Stones was a bit indifferent thought they were on top form but there was too much pushing and shoving in the crowd with people jostling for position for the Stones. 

So basically what is being said is that there are quite a few exceptions to the 'cursed slot'.

If the xx do end up subbing, I reckon they'd be another exception.

They were incredible last night and Loud Places is up there with All My Friends in terms of a single live moment which unites everyone in a crowd.

4 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

So basically what is being said is that there are quite a few exceptions to the 'cursed slot'.

If the xx do end up subbing, I reckon they'd be another exception.

They were incredible last night and Loud Places is up there with All My Friends in terms of a single live moment which unites everyone in a crowd.

Aye The xx are currently too big to fail in that slot tbh - got the tunes, the fanbase, the hype surrounding them, the live show. It'd take a minor miracle for it to at least not go down pretty well* and I imagine regardless of who they go up against they'll pull a hell of a crowd.

* preparing to eat my own words when they somehow fuck it up entirely. 

Edited by FloorFiller

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was gutted with the crowd at Beck. He was my act of the weekend. 

The only pyramid subs Ive ever watched...

Faithless '10... Smashed it. Like them or not, the crowd reaction for that slot was brilliant.

Morrissey '11... I enjoyed it, most seemingly didn't

Elbow '14... Bored me shitless, but others liked it.

Jack White '14.... Jack wasnt great was he?

Beck '16... I enjoyed it. The crowd were shite.

It needs to be someone with big crossover appeal. Like him or not - Noel Gallagher is the best possible act for that slot in my opinion. Id definitely watch Gaga, but Gallagher senior would have a wider appeal and is probably the best sub they could get.

I'm just impressed that you can remember who you saw each year. I struggle to remember most of the bands I've seen let alone what year they played. :)

30 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm not sure if anything could top All My Friends, but Loud Places on the Pyramid before Radiohead would absolutely delightful.

All My Friends at Glastonbury was the greatest musical moment of my life though.

When I heard Loud Places last night, I knew at that point it was going to be a 'moment' at Glastonbury. 

The only other song that I've seen that had the same feeling to me was All My Friends at Glastonbury  and hence why I compared them.

Have to agree though All My Friends was my favourite moment at Glastonbury. I reckon Loud Places is one of the few things which could possibly top it.

Elbow 2014 - Pretty dull but went down fine (wish I'd seen Danny Brown or Jurassic 5 instead)

Jack White 2014 - He was just a bit shit. Don't regret not going elsewhere as he was  my favourite artist on the bill and I'd never seen him before in any guise, but it was disappointing.

The Black Keys 2014 - Dull, like the previous time I saw them subbing a festival. Only watched them cos at the time I couldn't be arsed to trek over to the Park for St. Vincent/James Blake, really wish I had been arsed now.

The Libertines 2015 - Average. Only knew 3 songs in advance, and didn't realise every single other song of theirs would sound the same.

Pharrell 2015 - Saw like the last 40 mins of this as I headed to the Pyramid after Akala in Leftfield to wait for Kanye. Maybe the worst set I've seen at Glasto. Crowd was massive and seemed to be loving it, though.

Foals 2016 - Enjoyable but much worse than the previous 2 times I'd seen them touring What Went Down.

So aye I've not had much luck with subs either. Though mostly down to shit performances rather than a poor crowd.

12 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Elbow 2014 - Pretty dull but went down fine (wish I'd seen Danny Brown or Jurassic 5 instead)

Jack White 2014 - He was just a bit shit. Don't regret not going elsewhere as he was  my favourite artist on the bill and I'd never seen him before in any guise, but it was disappointing.

The Black Keys 2014 - Dull, like the previous time I saw them subbing a festival. Only watched them cos at the time I couldn't be arsed to trek over to the Park for St. Vincent/James Blake, really wish I had been arsed now.

The Libertines 2015 - Average. Only knew 3 songs in advance, and didn't realise every single other song of theirs would sound the same.

Pharrell 2015 - Saw like the last 40 mins of this as I headed to the Pyramid after Akala in Leftfield to wait for Kanye. Maybe the worst set I've seen at Glasto. Crowd was massive and seemed to be loving it, though.

Foals 2016 - Enjoyable but much worse than the previous 2 times I'd seen them touring What Went Down.

So aye I've not had much luck with subs either. Though mostly down to shit performances rather than a poor crowd.

Christ. Somebody post Eddie Vedder's tour dates again.

Might have been mentioned already and I've just missed it but I noticed Young Fathers got announced for a festival in Prague over Glastonbury weekend. I wasn't really too sure whether they'd play or not as they don't seem to be too active this summer from what I can see but I guess this at least means they're definitely about.

26 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Might have been mentioned already and I've just missed it but I noticed Young Fathers got announced for a festival in Prague over Glastonbury weekend. I wasn't really too sure whether they'd play or not as they don't seem to be too active this summer from what I can see but I guess this at least means they're definitely about.

Cool I was struggling for a WH sub below Damian Marley and ended up copying Dental and sticking DJ Shadow there when I reckon he'll be in Silver Hayes. Young Fathers can have it instead.

11 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Are they sub sized? Huge fan but that other stage crowd a couple of years ago was the smallest I've seen.

Not really sure tbh. I'd have imagined them 2nd or 3rd down but I don't know too much about them, really. Weirdly we have three acts that I thought would be WH subs down as TBC for the Saturday only, and then other than Royksopp I'm struggling for any others. Considered Goldfrapp but she/they/whatever played that same slot 3 years ago.