The Killers?

Nibble

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Admittedly I wasn't there but I've seen enough footage to refute these comments. Really wish I'd seen that. 

The White Stripes? I was with a lazy crowd that year, thus the sitting up on the hill, but it certainly seemed like a racket to me. Admittedly, I was mainly sat round chatting, so wasn't paying that much attention.

34 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

I will fight anyone who says Romantic Type by The Pidgeon Detectives isn't a a banger. Come at me bro. 

Honestly I couldn't recognise a single Pidgeon Detectives song. I just know that the lineup poster for that festival made me literally lol.

The last tour they played Wembley Stadium. Not sure why they are being called a nostalgic act. Their last album sold shit loads, and was one of the best. They've been away for a few years due to Brandon's solo album.

That said, I can only see them headlining again if the new album is massive, which it could be, but you can't book a band to headline on the blind hope of an album doing well. Following year is no festival so I can't see the Killers playing for a long time. A shame as they are great live.

35 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The White Stripes? I was with a lazy crowd that year, thus the sitting up on the hill, but it certainly seemed like a racket to me. Admittedly, I was mainly sat round chatting, so wasn't paying that much attention.

I hope you had a chair!

Don’t listen to many of their albums from the last decade, but I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t got my money’s worth out of the first 3 from KoL, Hot Fuss/Sams Town and Employment. I still think Employment is a very underrated album, inspite of the utter dross that followed it.

As for releases that have stood the test of time from that age? Food n Liquor, AM’s debut and Fishscale get my vote.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Nah - it would have been Doves, Killers, White Stripes.

I was watching Royksopp then Fatboy Slim with one man and his dog at the Other Stage (I saw Doves first though).

Liked the track and video they did for 'Crystal', which came out before Hot Fuss but didn't make the album...

Hot Fuss was a bit of a buzz when it came out & sparked a bit of curiosity, but I think by second album I had gone so off of them that still today I immediately switch the radio to something else whenever they come on.

if you recall, in 2005 they were the first act asked to move to the sunday headline slot when Kylie backed out, but they said they were honoured, but not really ready for it.

2004 i recall walking in the mud from Jazz Field to the New tent to see them, leaving the missus to watch Joss Stone and by time i got there there was deep crowd outside of the tent.

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Was it too loud? Did it all sound the same? Not like the good tuneful stuff in your day, I suppose. 

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

The White Stripes are a racket in the same way hip hip is 'pointless shouting' and Radiohead are 'pretentious bleep bloops'.

...that is, if you consider a racket a bad thing. Of course in lots of genres of music that noisiness is an asset.

A racket in the best possible way, a highly impressive one.  I consider "a racket" to be a very good thing in the case of the White Stripes.  I still look back ruefully on 2005 and wonder why I was so lazy, would have been ace down in the arena rather than sitting up at my tent listening from a distance.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A racket in the best possible way, a highly impressive one.  I consider "a racket" to be a very good thing in the case of the White Stripes.  I still look back ruefully on 2005 and wonder why I was so lazy, would have been ace down in the arena rather than sitting up at my tent listening from a distance.

Ah alright that's good, sorry I'd read the comment and assumed it was intended negatively.

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Reasons to be cheerful.

Mid-noughties nostalgia feels like bad juju in 2016, but come 2026 people will be getting the feels over ten years of albums like RTJ2, Lemonade and TPAB

Real question: ain't it imperative that things looked upon nostalgically are albums - or more importantly artists - that don't actually stand the test of time, like those undoubtedly will? Do peeps nowadays actually listen to stuff like Funeral and College Dropout and say "ahh, this takes me back"? Dangerously in Love isn't seen as a timestamp so I doubt Lemonade will.

I've seen The Killers twice (Odyssey Arena in 2013(?) and Tennents Vital 2014) and I was blown away both times, but I am a huge fan of them and I credit Hot Fuss as the first album that I listened to start to finish, well it was that or Hard-Fi's debut. Now there's some Indie Landfill you could set your watch to!