Future headliners

swede

Yeah i agree about Arcade Fire being a whole lot better and the live shows being more legendary and timeless than with Chvrches. Chvrches could easily go downhill from where they're at now, however Chvrches have a wider audience on their side. Arcade Fire were more of a cult band after their second album whereas Chvrches are way more into the mainstream and more radio-friendly which kinda makes them just as big in a way.

Edited by Acid_Haze

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Chvrches subbing next time they are there and agree it would take a stand out album from them for them to make it to headliner status.  Lauren's voice live is fantastic, Clearest Blue was the live highlight I'd hoped for and backed with that sunset it made for a great moment in this year's festival for me.

Hopefully their next album will have more songs of the standard of Clearest Blue, perfect pop at it's best for me.

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Arctic Monkeys will surely headline on their next album tour? It'd probably be 2018 at the earliest which would make it 5 years since they last played?

Are we doing past headliners who might return again on this thread too?  Well, then we could probably include:

Arcade Fire

Florence and the Machine

Coldplay

Muse

The Who

Beyonce

Coldplay

Neil Young

Paul McCartney

Coldplay

Muse

Coldplay

Coldplay

10 hours ago, Spindles said:

I could see Chvrches subbing next time they are there and agree it would take a stand out album from them for them to make it to headliner status.  Lauren's voice live is fantastic, Clearest Blue was the live highlight I'd hoped for and backed with that sunset it made for a great moment in this year's festival for me.

Hopefully their next album will have more songs of the standard of Clearest Blue, perfect pop at it's best for me.

Can definitely see them subbing next time. Their third album should put them on a par with Florence when she released 'How Big...' 

Chvrches are ace but I don't think they're that big. They played the Albert Hall in Manchester on this album cycle which isn't a particularly big venue. Maybe they did sell it out but we bought tickets quite close to the gig itself so wouldn't have sold it out that quickly.

Definitely not comparable with Florence who had bigger songs at a similar time (including that awful cover of You've Got the Love). 

Indeed, not that big at the moment, but it all swings on the standard and direction of the next album.  They have some great capability and if they capture the mood with the next record it could really take off for them, Lauren has a great voice, they understand what makes a good hook, I think they have a shot at bigger things but a mediocre 3rd album could see them disappear into obscurity just as easily.

8 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

Chvrches are ace but I don't think they're that big. They played the Albert Hall in Manchester on this album cycle which isn't a particularly big venue. Maybe they did sell it out but we bought tickets quite close to the gig itself so wouldn't have sold it out that quickly.

Definitely not comparable with Florence who had bigger songs at a similar time (including that awful cover of You've Got the Love). 

Yeah i think everybody's overestimating Chvrches here, Hot Chip and Sleater-Kinney sold out the Albert Hall much much faster than they did around the same time. During the Neon Bible tour, Arcade Fire were selling out 2 nights at the Apollo.

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah i think everybody's overestimating Chvrches here, Hot Chip and Sleater-Kinney sold out the Albert Hall much much faster than they did around the same time. During the Neon Bible tour, Arcade Fire were selling out 2 nights at the Apollo.

FWIW, Chvrches played the Albert Hall two nights running on the last tour. 

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

FWIW, Chvrches played the Albert Hall two nights running on the last tour. 

Ah I thought it was just the one. I think Chvrches would have to switch things up quite a bit to get to headliner status, they're just a solid electropop band, there's not really anything that makes them stand out.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ah I thought it was just the one. I think Chvrches would have to switch things up quite a bit to get to headliner status, they're just a solid electropop band, there's not really anything that makes them stand out.

Yeah I can't see it personally. Sublining isn't out of the question though. They get played on Radio 1, and they've just collaborated with Hayley Williams from Paramore who is obviously a pretty big deal. Just feel like they could do with one big hit and a solid album behind it next time around to take them to that next level.

Yeah I'm a big Chvrches fan but I don't think they'll headline Glastonbury. I do think they'll sub it on the next album and make a great headliner for some mid-level fests, though. Though they'll need to mix things up and put out a third album that really grabs people again, either with big commercial pop hits or something more ambitious that can get the critics going a little more.

11 hours ago, Odessa said:

Yeah I can't see it personally. Sublining isn't out of the question though. They get played on Radio 1, and they've just collaborated with Hayley Williams from Paramore who is obviously a pretty big deal. Just feel like they could do with one big hit and a solid album behind it next time around to take them to that next level.

Busted called, they want their time machine* back.

*Like the one in the film you've seen.

On 14/08/2016 at 7:01 AM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Can definitely see them subbing next time. Their third album should put them on a par with Florence when she released 'How Big...' 

I agree that Chvrches could sub next time if album 3 does well but the success of their first 2 albums is in no way comparable to the success of Florence's first 2.  I think Chvrches sold about 100K of the first album and about 60K of the 2nd whereas Florence had done about 1.5 million of the debut and about 700K of the 2nd - a huge difference.  Florence also had more hits recognisable to your 'average Joe' than Chvrches (e.g. You Got The Love, Dog Days, Shake It Out). 

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Surely Damian Marley must headline West Holts soon. It feels like it must happen. Hopefully with Nas as guest.

I could live with that.

Not sure about the arguments that Churches wouldn't be headliners based on 2 albums.  How many bands that grew into stadium straddling monsters had unremarkable beginnings?  Jeez, look at Blur's first couple of albums!

I think they have a shout, but yes it depends on how they develop.

Chvrches slot this year was magical and I think they could make superb headliners one day but like Wolf Alice and The War On Drugs it is all dependant on that next album. 

But truth told, I find the whole thing baffling. Clearest Blue is one of the best pop songs of the last couple of years and when playing live it comes to 'that moment' halfway through, its just incredible. And I think it managed to get to 140-something in the charts. And then Drake is at number 1 for over 3 months with a song that I found utterly unremarkable. I haven't got a clue, have I?

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Not sure about the arguments that Churches wouldn't be headliners based on 2 albums.  How many bands that grew into stadium straddling monsters had unremarkable beginnings?  Jeez, look at Blur's first couple of albums!

I think they have a shout, but yes it depends on how they develop.

There are already way too many candidates in this thread without declaring that the first two albums don't count. :P

Edited by dentalplan

43 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Chvrches slot this year was magical and I think they could make superb headliners one day but like Wolf Alice and The War On Drugs it is all dependant on that next album. 

But truth told, I find the whole thing baffling. Clearest Blue is one of the best pop songs of the last couple of years and when playing live it comes to 'that moment' halfway through, its just incredible. And I think it managed to get to 140-something in the charts. And then Drake is at number 1 for over 3 months with a song that I found utterly unremarkable. I haven't got a clue, have I?

You and the rest of us!

With the benefit of a month or two's hindsight, I've got Churches as one of my sets of the weekend.  I think they were helped a bit by the sunset (can't beat a good sunset singalong) but they absolutely smashed it.  I liked their album but I was genuinely surprised at how they carried that over into a live performance.

It also helped that Lauren's luuurvely :)