Future headliners

swede

I saw Ben Howard on his last tour and it was a bit strange. The setlist was much more based around his second album which although I think is much better than his debut seems to divide his fans as FloorFiller said, even some of the older songs were slightly reworked to fit in with the darker feel of the second album songs. I had a pretty decent spot around the middle but no one around me seemed that interested until 6/7 songs in when he finally played a song that wasn't from the new album at which point they stopped talking their way through the set. After that I moved back a bit to where it was a bit quieter to see if the crowd was any better there but people were just singing The Wolves when he wasn't even playing it. I really like his songs on record but don't know if I'd bother seeing him live again. I certainly don't see him moving up to headline major festivals.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was frankly shocked a couple of years ago that Maccabees were not only still going, but we're bigger than ever. 

I don't know who their PR team are but they deserved their paychecks.

I don't understand how such a middling band could come back after such a break and there be so much hype and excitement about it. To be honest I think the same can be said for Jamie T: both acts seem to be so much more hyped/talked about when they were inactive than when they were actually around.

28 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I don't know who their PR team are but they deserved their paychecks.

I don't understand how such a middling band could come back after such a break and there be so much hype and excitement about it. To be honest I think the same can be said for Jamie T: both acts seem to be so much more hyped/talked about when they were inactive than when they were actually around.

Jamie T at least had a couple of songs that fell within the 'hits' ballpark and a recognisable persona, with The Maccabees its a genuinely impressive PR feat.

20 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

I once got a very detailed rolling description of a Ben Howard gig from a friend who'd gone but had retreated to the bar after realising it was the most boring thing she'd ever seen.

I once saw Ben Howard play non-stop for one entire year.

Well, it felt like a year, I actually just watched one song at Latitude 2012 before heading for something completely different in the form of Buena Vista Social Club (West Holts 2017, make it happen).

On 7/7/2016 at 7:05 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

Just imagine for a fucking second that Sufjan Stevens headlined the pyramid. 

Not even dreams are capable of that 

His Royal Festival gig last year was one of the finest things I've ever seen.  Can't see him headlining the Pyramid - but it'd be utterly phenomenal.  Realistically, he'd do The Park or Other I think.

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I once saw Ben Howard play non-stop for one entire year.

Well, it felt like a year, I actually just watched one song at Latitude 2012 before heading for something completely different in the form of Buena Vista Social Club (West Holts 2017, make it happen).

Yes!

I love the Maccabees and their song "toothpaste kisses" is going to be the 1st song at my wedding and seen them a few times including at szgit festival last year and was genuinely surprised how high up the bill they were. In my opinion they have the back catalogue and the stage presence to headline but think their next album would have to be well received and more popular than any of their other albums to headline.

They're are a similar level to Foals.

I do think that they do need to start promoting up some of the acts that would normally play sub or headline the other as there seems like there's loads of acts at the moment that are about as popular as each other. 

The Maccabees played third down on Other last year and Foals subbed the Pyramid, so they're definitely not on the same level. With a successful new album they could maybe be third on Pyramid, but they're never gonna reach headliner level. Headlining the likes of Latitude will probably be their peak

• 1 month later...

Chvrches are pretty much doing what arcade fire did in 2007. Subbed other at glastonbury and subbed main stage at reading and leeds on the back of the tour for their 2nd album. They'd have probably headlined latitude too like Arcade Fire did in 2007 too if it weren't for a band as big as new order. If the same pattern follows they'll headline in 2023 after their 4th album.

Edited by Acid_Haze

1 hour ago, Acid_Haze said:

Chvrches are pretty much doing what arcade fire did in 2007. Subbed other at glastonbury and subbed main stage at reading and leeds on the back of the tour for their 2nd album. They'd have probably headlined latitude too like Arcade Fire did in 2007 too if it weren't for a band as big as new order. If the same pattern follows they'll headline in 2023 after their 4th album.

if their third album makes a bit more of an impact than their second (which to my ears was more of the same but more streamlined and to a lesser effect) then i can definitely see them rising up the ranks quickly. but obviously it's hard to say which way the music trends will turn and they may remain a mid-sized act rather than ever become a headliner. subbing main next time round seems like a good bet though 

1 minute ago, Acid_Haze said:

I'm quite excited to see who the headliners will be over the next 10 years. I really hope catfish and the bottlemen aren't one of them.

i don't think Catfish will make it. they seem like a bit of a flash in the pan and in four or so years people will've moved on to some other shitty band

52 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

if their third album makes a bit more of an impact than their second (which to my ears was more of the same but more streamlined and to a lesser effect) then i can definitely see them rising up the ranks quickly. but obviously it's hard to say which way the music trends will turn and they may remain a mid-sized act rather than ever become a headliner. subbing main next time round seems like a good bet though 

To be fair, you pretty much just described Arcade Fire's second album.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair, you pretty much just described Arcade Fire's second album.

yeah you're not too far off, although Chvrches second album doesn't have anything that comes close to Keep The Car Running, Intervention or No Cars Go. i remember thinking at the time that The Suburbs was gonna be a decider of whether Arcade Fire stand the test of time, and thankfully for them it was pretty damn great. Chvrches probably have a bit more of a struggle to make such a great album - they were pretty one note at the best of times, and to my ears their second album dropped a lot of what made them stand out

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah you're not too far off, although Chvrches second album doesn't have anything that comes close to Keep The Car Running, Intervention or No Cars Go. i remember thinking at the time that The Suburbs was gonna be a decider of whether Arcade Fire stand the test of time, and thankfully for them it was pretty damn great. Chvrches probably have a bit more of a struggle to make such a great album - they were pretty one note at the best of times, and to my ears their second album dropped a lot of what made them stand out

I agree, the analogy works perfectly except AF have always been better, IMO, of course.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Arcade Fire were already arena sellin', festival headlinin' bad boys on Neon Bible, and Chvrches aren't that. I think a big thing about them is that their live shows were legendary so that kept pushing them up - Chvrches shows seem fun too but they're not getting the same chances. I think they will probably headline Bestival or Latitude on the next tour and then we can see where they look to be going from that.

I've been thinking a bit recently about the trajectory of The War on Drugs. I can't help but think very big things are ahead for them and I'm pretty confident they can become major festival headliners soon. They did three UK tours on Lost in the Dream, progressing through the venues and damn near selling out every one including two nights at Brixton. Also they look to be signing with a major label for future records so that'll give them a massive push on from that too, and without having to water down their sound because I imagine they'll just be fired further into the dad-rock market they're already pleasing. Could have a Tame Impala type ascent and end up subbing next year - I want that yes I do.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Arcade Fire were already arena sellin', festival headlinin' bad boys on Neon Bible, and Chvrches aren't that. I think a big thing about them is that their live shows were legendary so that kept pushing them up - Chvrches shows seem fun too but they're not getting the same chances. I think they will probably headline Bestival or Latitude on the next tour and then we can see where they look to be going from that.

I've been thinking a bit recently about the trajectory of The War on Drugs. I can't help but think very big things are ahead for them and I'm pretty confident they can become major festival headliners soon. They did three UK tours on Lost in the Dream, progressing through the venues and damn near selling out every one including two nights at Brixton. Also they look to be signing with a major label for future records so that'll give them a massive push on from that too, and without having to water down their sound because I imagine they'll just be fired further into the dad-rock market they're already pleasing. Could have a Tame Impala type ascent and end up subbing next year - I want that yes I do.

To be honest I see The War on Drugs having a similar trajectory to The National: a large, dedicated fan base but not enough outside of that to get the top slots.

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

To be honest I see The War on Drugs having a similar trajectory to The National: a large, dedicated fan base but not enough outside of that to get the top slots.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they really hit the big time.  Those records are just too relaxing.  They lack the drama to headline the pyramid.  Or in other words, too MOR.

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I'd take that. However, The National have slugged it out for years to build that fanbase whereas TWOD's success so far has been quite rapid so maybe they'll spike where The National never really could. Also, can't underestimate the Springsteen mob - they nearly made Gaslight Anthem a big thing but obviously they were held back by their Nickelbackishness so The War on Drugs could maybe make that final step.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they really hit the big time.  Those records are just too relaxing.  They lack the drama to headline the pyramid.  Or in other words, too MOR.

Too MOR to headline the Pyramid?

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'd take that. However, The National have slugged it out for years to build that fanbase whereas TWOD's success so far has been quite rapid so maybe they'll spike where The National never really could. Also, can't underestimate the Springsteen mob - they nearly made Gaslight Anthem a big thing but obviously they were held back by their Nickelbackishness so The War on Drugs could maybe make that final step.

Too MOR to headline the Pyramid?

Fair point!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Fair point!

Heheh, I had to make that quip but I do see what you mean in a way. It is all a bit soft-sounding and unlikely to make a big splash in the mainstream but I guess bands have got there without that before. Idk. I could imagine them having done stadiums in ten years time more than I can imagine them having headlined Glasto/Longleat by then.